Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Should I make that bucket list purchase?

Bucktunes

I am also not the guy you want to be talking to... But I can tell you I have one, and it is everything you expect it to be. It is excellent. I was going to buy an 88 note stage piano last year, but the dealer had one in stock (back when they were immediately selling out). I snapped it up on the spot, realizing it was a unique opportunity to get a classic. Never regretted it. I can buy a digital piano any time. A genuine Minimoog? Not so often. I'll have this one for a LONG time. I can't imagine you'd regret it given your introduction to wanting it.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay, you've talked me into it!

See? I told you he was waiting on me.

Um...why wait until Monday? If you're getting one from Moog (are they selling them directly?) then, yes, you'll probably have to wait until Monday, but if you order from Musician's Friend, Sweetwater, et. al. then operators are standing by...and there's always the online ordering option.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

I have been enjoying the hell out of mine. I thought it was going to be a total home-use-only indulgence (and I did in fact spend plenty of hours in the first couple of weeks playing it through delay and reverb pedals and going on one-man space journeys), but I've actually used it on several sessions and gigs already, and it's been a hit every time. The sound and experience is really bang-on, without the quirks of the old action.

If you can swing it, you definitely won't regret it. If I hadn't bought one several months ago, I for sure would be snagging one now post-price-drop.

I put in the order Monday morning, along with a Moog expression pedal for it. It's only about 3 hours away now, and should make it to the station in Quincy tonight. Then delivered sometime tomorrow. Not that I'm anxious or anything... :drool::boing::boing::boing::keys2:

><>

Steve

It's here! It's beautiful and in perfect shape. :) And the power supply doesn't work... :mad: Needless to say, I made a phone call and have another power supply being rushed to me. What a cold shower. :( I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to hear it. In the meantime I'll just play with the keys and knobs and imagine the sound... :laugh:

><>

Steve

Nope. It is a Model D, but it uses an external "lump in the middle" power supply. A standard IEC power cable plugs in one end, and the other end goes to a special plug that plugs into the synth. The transformer has a little LED on it that would light up if it worked, which it doesn't. :cry:

><>

Steve

Good news - The power supply arrived Monday afternoon, and the Minimoog sprang to life! :) Pardon me for being a few days late following up, but I'm sure you'll understand I've been too busy playing it! :keys2:

I won't bother preaching to the choir here about how utterly amazing this instrument sounds and how much fun it is to play. But I did get a few pleasant surprises; The oscillators are very stable. When I first turned it on I used the A=440 switch to tune it. After playing it for nearly 2 hours the tuning barely needed any tweaking. Also, the output is pre-wired into the external input, as long as you don't have something else plugged into it. So I was able to get that feedback distortion trick without any patching. :cool:

Thanks again for the nudge to buy this wonderful instrument. Now back to playing it! :cool::keys:

><>

Steve

Also, the output is pre-wired into the external input, as long as you don't have something else plugged into it. So I was able to get that feedback distortion trick without any patching. :cool:

Thanks again for the nudge to buy this wonderful instrument. Now back to playing it! :cool::keys:

Hey cool - glad that problem resolved easily. Pre-wired output back to the external input? Hmmm...never thought of that but easily done with a "shorting" connector. Will modify mine next time I have to open it up.

Congrats and enjoy!

I can't help but notice that the reissued Minimoog Model D is now on sale, a few months after announcing that production of them had come to a close. My trigger finger is getting very itchy to order one, but I'm not sure I can make a rational decision on my own. So I'll depend on the community here to talk me into or out of it. (Although I'm fairly sure which way you'll slant! ;) )

The pros;

- I'm 57 years old and have never owned one, although I've had enough experience playing with someone else's to know how to work it. So there would be no learning curve.

- The sound. 'Nuff said :cool:

- Moog will very likely never produce these again, so when current stock is sold out there will be no more.

- Even if Moog does another production run someday, they won't ever be less expensive than they are now.

- If this is truly the last production of them, my only remaining chance to own one would be to pick one up secondhand. And the prices of those will surely escalate once the new ones have sold out.

- The money spent would be more like an investment than an expense, since the value would appreciate over time.

- To say that the Minimoog is an iconic instrument is an understatement. IMO every keyboardist who calls him/herself a synthesist should own one at some point in life. And at 57 this would be a bucket list purchase that will last the rest of my life. :)

The cons from a practical standpoint;

- I already have numerous hardware, VST and iOS instruments that can get 90% close to the Moog-ish sounds I regularly use.

- It would be a home studio instrument only. It's pretty unlikely I would ever take this out of the house, unless to another studio.

- There are clones entering the market right now for a small fraction of the price that sound pretty darn good. I could assemble a 6-10 voice polyphonic Moog clone for what I would spend on the real Model D.

This last July I got a chance to spend about and hour on one of these, and I loved every minute of it. (Are you surprised? :laugh: ) If I could have afforded $3,500 I would have taken it home that day. I can afford it now, and it may be my last chance. It's probably not the most practical use of $3K I could find right now, but damn I love that thing... Go ahead and make my decision for me! :/ Thanks in advance. :cool:

[font:Comic Sans MS]Dude, you're asking a roomful of junkies whether or not you should score a lifetime supply of some of the best shit to ever hit the street.[/font]

Kinda sums it up for me.

[font:Comic Sans MS]Dude, you're asking a roomful of junkies whether or not you should score a lifetime supply of some of the best shit to ever hit the street.[/font]

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

Haha, very true!

Rudy

Archived