Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Should I make that bucket list purchase?

Bucktunes

I can't help but notice that the reissued Minimoog Model D is now on sale, a few months after announcing that production of them had come to a close. My trigger finger is getting very itchy to order one, but I'm not sure I can make a rational decision on my own. So I'll depend on the community here to talk me into or out of it. (Although I'm fairly sure which way you'll slant! ;) )

The pros;

- I'm 57 years old and have never owned one, although I've had enough experience playing with someone else's to know how to work it. So there would be no learning curve.

- The sound. 'Nuff said :cool:

- Moog will very likely never produce these again, so when current stock is sold out there will be no more.

- Even if Moog does another production run someday, they won't ever be less expensive than they are now.

- If this is truly the last production of them, my only remaining chance to own one would be to pick one up secondhand. And the prices of those will surely escalate once the new ones have sold out.

- The money spent would be more like an investment than an expense, since the value would appreciate over time.

- To say that the Minimoog is an iconic instrument is an understatement. IMO every keyboardist who calls him/herself a synthesist should own one at some point in life. And at 57 this would be a bucket list purchase that will last the rest of my life. :)

The cons from a practical standpoint;

- I already have numerous hardware, VST and iOS instruments that can get 90% close to the Moog-ish sounds I regularly use.

- It would be a home studio instrument only. It's pretty unlikely I would ever take this out of the house, unless to another studio.

- There are clones entering the market right now for a small fraction of the price that sound pretty darn good. I could assemble a 6-10 voice polyphonic Moog clone for what I would spend on the real Model D.

This last July I got a chance to spend about and hour on one of these, and I loved every minute of it. (Are you surprised? :laugh: ) If I could have afforded $3,500 I would have taken it home that day. I can afford it now, and it may be my last chance. It's probably not the most practical use of $3K I could find right now, but damn I love that thing... Go ahead and make my decision for me! :/ Thanks in advance. :cool:

><>

Steve

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your answer was hiding in your post. Everything else, pro or con, was noise.

I can afford it now

damn I love that thing

Buy it and enjoy making great music with it.

PS, around 4.5 years ago, I bought my bucket list trumpet (used) and dont ever regret the decision.

I can't help but notice that the reissued Minimoog Model D is now on sale, a few months after announcing that production of them had come to a close. My trigger finger is getting very itchy to order one, but I'm not sure I can make a rational decision on my own. So I'll depend on the community here to talk me into or out of it. (Although I'm fairly sure which way you'll slant! ;) )

The pros;

- I'm 57 years old and have never owned one, although I've had enough experience playing with someone else's to know how to work it. So there would be no learning curve.

- The sound. 'Nuff said :cool:

- Moog will very likely never produce these again, so when current stock is sold out there will be no more.

- Even if Moog does another production run someday, they won't ever be less expensive than they are now.

- If this is truly the last production of them, my only remaining chance to own one would be to pick one up secondhand. And the prices of those will surely escalate once the new ones have sold out.

- The money spent would be more like an investment than an expense, since the value would appreciate over time.

- To say that the Minimoog is an iconic instrument is an understatement. IMO every keyboardist who calls him/herself a synthesist should own one at some point in life. And at 57 this would be a bucket list purchase that will last the rest of my life. :)

The cons from a practical standpoint;

- I already have numerous hardware, VST and iOS instruments that can get 90% close to the Moog-ish sounds I regularly use.

- It would be a home studio instrument only. It's pretty unlikely I would ever take this out of the house, unless to another studio.

- There are clones entering the market right now for a small fraction of the price that sound pretty darn good. I could assemble a 6-10 voice polyphonic Moog clone for what I would spend on the real Model D.

This last July I got a chance to spend about and hour on one of these, and I loved every minute of it. (Are you surprised? :laugh: ) If I could have afforded $3,500 I would have taken it home that day. I can afford it now, and it may be my last chance. It's probably not the most practical use of $3K I could find right now, but damn I love that thing... Go ahead and make my decision for me! :/ Thanks in advance. :cool:

I disagree with the point of ' investment '. No one can predict the future, thus you take a conservative stance. So remove that 'pro '.

Advancing tech has an established pattern of destroying the ' collectability of older tech or platforms.

I disagree in making 'emotional ' big decisions, esp if you are not rolling around in Benjamins. So love has to be removed.

You need to take a step back in priorities. 57 is a crucial age. Do you have your

retirement completely squared away and in good shape ? I am not convinced

you can afford the $3000. If the purchase was a smaller amount, its not an issue.

Someone has to be a hard ass here. That would be me :)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

What will you enjoy more? ...

A Model D or a vacation?

A Model D or a motorcycle?

A Model D or a Korg Kronos?

A Model D or a 60" 4HD TV?

If the answer to all questions is a Model D, get it.

By the way, I had a Model D around 1980 and have no desire for a new one. It was fine for home use but I hated gigging with it because osc 2 never wanted to stay in tune.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

This place is dangerous- I need to stop hanging out here.

I've been going over the same arguments in my head for the last several months.

I can't say what I will do just yet, but I can tell you that I feel your pain. It's tough to tell someone else to pull the trigger when I know I have my own reservations.

I actually just went through the same thing, but for me it was a quality wood drum set. 58, just retired, ready to buy that ONE instrument that I have always wanted. I had a few picked out ranging from $4500 to $8000. My thoughts, for this much money I can go to Hawaii. Then I found one of my target drum sets on Ebay. A dealer was selling a floor model for half price. I grabbed it for $2800. I'm glad I got it, and I am glad I did not jump too soon.

If you want it, get it. Take your time. Maybe you will find a good deal.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

They call it a "bucket list" for a reason, you know?

then there is no reason to ask and ponder if its a real bucket list and Mini Moog production is at an end.

I did not take the OP literally . It appeared more of a wish list or just thinking about it.

[70's Songwriter]

http://media.riffsy.com/images/3b7abdd4322c9fb22baec470c7108974/tenor.gif

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I barely read anything past your first sentence. I am a few months older than you, and the answer is simply yes. Period. I owned an original Minimoog back in the seventies, and was forced to sell it to help pay for college. The Minimoog reissue is complete deja vu. Do it. I bought mine at full price when it was first announced last year, and it was absolutely the BEST thing I ever did.

57 - hmm.

You going to work to 62, 65, 67?

House is paid for?

Kids school is paid for?

Dropped the max in your Roth IRA for the year?

Get it... do it on 36 or 48 month interest free. :cheers:

the 36 free financing ( 36 monthly installments) is the best way.

And often the wife will approves stretching out the purchase.

GC has an excellent financing incentive with Synchrony.

Plus 5% rewards back. I don't know if GC

offers the Mini. All kinds of limits on the free financing .

[70's Songwriter]

This place is dangerous- I need to stop hanging out here.

Dangerous? Maybe to your wallet or marriage, if ill-managed. Otherwise, I can think of numerous places online that are *far* worse, from flame groups to hate sites to Facebook to unexpected mis-clicks that show you sex acts that would make Clive Barker flinch. By contrast, our worst aspects are a few bursts of TMI, a dash of bloviation, having to run Theo's posts through a Martian translator or someone getting a sharp Svenning. KC is relatively congenial and purposely civilized. Come for the jocularity, stay for the synthesis, as well as the synesthesia. :wacko:

"We're the crash test dummies of the digital age."
            ~ Kara Swisher, "Burn Book"

I've been watching this thread to see if Bucktunes posted yea or nay.

Nary a word.

Well, since everyone's obviously waiting on me to weigh in...

Assuming that the bills are paid and that your mistress isn't wanting a new pearl necklace, I'd say do it. Yes, it's a lot of money, but...

There are a few items that I've tossed money into that perhaps I shouldn't, but that's not the same thing as saying I regret buying them. I don't go on cruises. I don't bet on races. And I don't have a mistress.

What the hell else am I going to spend money on, if not music?

Just buy the bloody thing, will ya?

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

I think like that too but sometimes purchased things and then wondered why I did it later on? It was like that for the Mojo for me and some other amps that I got over the years. Sometimes it's short term satisfaction but it's always my fault in the end. Gear is disposable 85% of the time.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Okay, you've talked me into it! Assuming they didn't sell out today I'll be calling Monday morning to get one on the way. By this time next week I should be a proud Minimoog owner! :love: Thanks for the encouragement, guys. Not like I needed much! ;)

Now I'm totally jazzed about getting this. :drool::boing::keys2:

><>

Steve

Archived