Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mac Mini and High Sierra issue with 10.13.1

MoodyBluesKeys

I updated my MBP a couple of months ago, both Parallels and Sierra to High Sierra. No real problems (although I haven't tested it feeding an external monitor yet).

Only Black Friday deal I've gone for was updating Parallels to version 13 for $10 off - did that yesterday. Then, I updated from Sierra to High Sierra 10.13.1. Got most of the way through the install, screen went totally black without any message indicating that there was no drive. I'm using a 32" Samsung HDTV with a couple of HDMI inputs shared between my PC and the Mini.

Did a good bit of troubleshooting (computers is my business), Svengling all the way - I have become good at searches but didn't find help. Found out that I could get video if started in Safe mode (of course then my cloud services were not loading). Then I tried regular mode and remote screen from the MBP - worked just fine.

So - now I know that the install actually did finish. Did some more Svengling - ahh! something relevant. Apparently others have had problems with video display on 10.13.1. Can't make dual monitors work, and which output (HDMI or Thunderbolt) changes.

Temporary solution until I can find something better: I now have a small HDMI switch sitting on the Mac - one input going to the HDMI output, other going to an adapter to the Thunderbolt output.

Power up, starts on HDMI, then screen goes black. Switch to the Thunderbolt output - works. From what I read, the output random switching seems to be when the computer goes to sleep, so I also shut off sleep completely.

Hopefully, at some time Apple will fix this problem. I'm not by any means the only person having it. Currently running TimeMachine on the very slow process of first backup after changing OS.

This may be useful to some of you - maybe put off updating to High Sierra until you know it is fixed. Might also be useful if you have switched and had problems.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the heads-up.

I updated Sierra some time ago, and I'm still very skeptical about upgrading to High Sierra. I try to follow the rule of always being one behind...

Steinberg is not supporting yet, and I stopped looking at compatibility after that. Your comments just reinforce my impression.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

If you knew how many years I relied happily on my last iMac and Logic 8, you'd snort with elitist derision. I have a stable rig in the Now, so I'm not upgradin' squat. You should always be sure that you really need an upgrade. Don't just grab at it because its shiny or unexpected crows can peck your digital eyes out. Been there. Rod is right. Being at LEAST one behind is good self-defense. Don't dismiss the brave souls on here who still get the job done on downright creaky software of antiquity.

BTW, I've noticed a few recent hardware-centric players proudly proclaiming "No DAW in use." Meh. I have a friend who builds things in a DAW and then ports them over to a Yamaha Motif for live shows. Don't be too stubborn when you can shuffle approaches like a deck of cards.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

I don't snort at all, I still have a DAW on Win XP and another on Win 7. If it really bothered me enough, I'd put it back on Sierra (yes, I do know I'd need to do a new OS install to format the SSD back to HFS+, then use TimeMachine to restore my apps and files).

I figure they will sort this one out, and have a decent work-around for my needs since I don't need dual monitors on the machine.

I've used a DAW to build sequences then loaded into my PC3 and edited the patches - but only on things that were impossible to play manually (an intro to a song in a recital that was full out pipe organ with both manuals and pedals - not enough arms and fingers to play it live).

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Archived