Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cory Henry. Purple Rain. Hammond and Sub 37.

EscapeRocks

I didn't see/couldn't find if this was posted before.

I stumbled across this today. Cory getting down with the Metropolitan Orchestra in Rotterdam earlier this year.

I could feel his energy thru the computer monitor.

[video:youtube]

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Normally not keen on the orchestral/pop mashups....but it's Cory man..what can you say? He can do anything. Thanks, David!

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Same, though for me it depends on the song/genre and the execution. This song "holds" strings well, and the arrangement meets perfectly in the middle in the best way, rather than the worst. And the rest...still kind of "off" from it, it hit me that hard, though of course my own regard for Prince plays a role in that I'm sure.

Loved watching the players' faces as Henry kept ratcheting up the fire.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

This prompted me to go back and watch Cory's supernatural solo on Snarky Puppy's Lingus. The two-handed unison stuff would be amazing in any case, but the fact that he does it between an unweighted and weighted keyboard....well, he lives in a different world than me.

Also noticed that it now has 12 million views...not too shabby for non-mainstream stuff.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

You all are welcome! I am glad you like it.

Math, Purple Rain being one of my all time favorite songs, and the soundtrack to where my life was and things I was going through way back then. I totally understand your emotion in this.

When this started I wasn't sure, and then Cory did his thing. Really emotional, and as I said, I could feel it.

You could see the orchestra musicians really got into it as well.

One thing I have come to enjoy and respect about Cory is the way he serves the music, regardless of the song or style.

He did this one justice, and I think Prince would have approved.

David

This prompted me to go back and watch Cory's supernatural solo on Snarky Puppy's Lingus. The two-handed unison stuff would be amazing in any case, but the fact that he does it between an unweighted and weighted keyboard....well, he lives in a different world than me.

Also noticed that it now has 12 million views...not too shabby for non-mainstream stuff.

Yeah... that messed me up the first time I watched it. Just went back, and once again I am beyond words. Especially the unison stuff between the King Korg and the Kronos 88. No only the differing keys (synth vs. piano), but the distance they are apart.

David

That solo/song *might* have been the first thing I really saw of Snarky Puppy, a few years ago, and I remember just kinda giving into the universe and thinking there are some folks who operate in another dimension, and it's not even really like they are playing the same instrument, since so much of their instrument is just them.

Yes, that unison line, when he kicks the solo into the stratosphere, was the one where I just thought--on my best day, from now until the end of my life, I will never be there. Even Shaun Martin seems like he knows he is looking through the Looking Glass at some points.

With SP, I always feel like the solos are where the meat is. The songs lose me pretty quick, but the instrumentalists are OFF THE HOOK. This one...with that Hawaiian fake-out of an opening, and then slow build to nuclear meltdown....yeah. Ridic.

www.joshweinstein.com

Not to derail, but divert a little if you'll allow. The Metropole (not Metropolitan) Orchestra is simply one of the best. The past few weeks I've been listening multiple times to their 2003 concert with Pat Metheny. Many if not all the tunes are on YouTube. Imagine showing up for work and having to play this one:

(And yea, Cory Henry!)

[video:youtube]

"Also noticed that it now has 12 million views...not too shabby for non-mainstream stuff."

Sam, I only see 350K views.....where did you see 12M?

This was in reference to Snarky Puppy's Lingus.

www.stickmanor.com

Not to derail, but divert a little if you'll allow. The Metropole (not Metropolitan) Orchestra is simply one of the best.

Was actually going to say, all props to the conductor and the orchestra. They were in Henry's back pocket the entire way. It's not easy to pull that off, particularly through some of those "felt" approaches dropped in as subs. Very facile orchestra, and highly skilled conductor.

www.joshweinstein.com

Not to derail, but divert a little if you'll allow. The Metropole (not Metropolitan) Orchestra is simply one of the best.

Was actually going to say, all props to the conductor and the orchestra. They were in Henry's back pocket the entire way. It's not easy to pull that off, particularly through some of those "felt" approaches dropped in as subs. Very facile orchestra, and highly skilled conductor.

Snarky Puppy w/ Corey Henry recorded their 2015 release, Sylva, with this orchestra and conductor, obviously they are comfortable with each other.

So much so, that when Markyboard, dB, and I saw them earlier this year playing that release in it's entirety at the Kennedy Center with the National Symphony Orchestra, they had this very conductor flown in from Europe just for that show.

He is amazing.

:nopity:

Snarky Puppy w/ Corey Henry recorded their 2015 release, Sylva, with this orchestra and conductor, obviously they are comfortable with each other.

So much so, that when Markyboard, dB, and I saw them earlier this year playing that release in it's entirety at the Kennedy Center with the National Symphony Orchestra, they had this very conductor flown in from Europe just for that show.

He is amazing.

That is one thing that also stood out to me in the subject video. You could see Cory and the conductor now and then looking at each other, and with simple head nods, or whatever, were locked in all the way.

I really loved the way the orchestra was enjoying this as well.

David

That is one thing that also stood out to me in the subject video. You could see Cory and the conductor now and then looking at each other, and with simple head nods, or whatever, were locked in all the way.

I really loved the way the orchestra was enjoying this as well.

That one violin player, the dude, cracked me up the most. I think he forgot he was in the orchestra for a while!

www.joshweinstein.com

• 2 weeks later...
Speaking a little OT about Cory, I would like to find purchasable recordings of CH and the Funk Apostles but cannot find anything except youtube videos.

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

Speaking a little OT about Cory, I would like to find purchasable recordings of CH and the Funk Apostles but cannot find anything except youtube videos.

I'd imagine it's only a matter of time until a label finances and releases a record on Cory Henry and the Funk Apostles.

Then again, it would be kinda cool if like some jam bands they only play live. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I'd imagine it's only a matter of time until a label finances and releases a record on Cory Henry and the Funk Apostles.

I asked him in June of 2016 if he had been signed to Michael League's label. He answered yes.

The following quote is from Discogs.

"GroundUP Music (2)

Profile:

Genre-bending instrumental ensemble Snarky Puppy has teamed up with Ropeadope Records to form GroundUP Music, a new label under the Philadelphia-based company's imprint.

According to Snarky Puppy bandleader and GroundUP president Michael League, the label is being set up as an oasis for artists in the ever-changing world of independent music. "Our goals are to keep music business away from the music, empower each artist with the tools they need to successfully tour and sell records on the road, and match each group with their ideal listening audience," says League. "GroundUP is outwardly independent of restrictions on genre, style, or geography. The basic ethos of the label is that if it sounds good, people will listen."

"The Revival" is listed there, which is Corey and a drummer (can't remember his name) doing gospel music.

:nopity:

According to Snarky Puppy bandleader and GroundUP president Michael League, the label is being set up as an oasis for artists in the ever-changing world of independent music.

I'm curious to see how many records they will release. Unless there is a dedicated staff it is harder for active musicians to run record companies. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

According to Snarky Puppy bandleader and GroundUP president Michael League, the label is being set up as an oasis for artists in the ever-changing world of independent music.

I'm curious to see how many records they will release. Unless there is a dedicated staff it is harder for active musicians to run record companies. :cool:

Small company, but every artist listed has a release from 2016 or 2017. Plus, they've started an annual music festival in Miami. They get it done. :cool:

Archived