Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Cakewalk

burningbusch

I wonder if it was offered to Roland

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Yeah, they stopped updating their OSX USB driver for the Fantom X, that is still in use by MANY musicians. Including me. Granted I bought my Fantom X long after I had a Mac with Sierra.

It's a shame. My Mac "Sees" the Fantom, but with no compatible driver, I have to use the Midi in/out on my audio i/o. I guess I save a USB port :)

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've used Cakewalk since Pro Audio 7. Was a beta tester for many years as well, and found my relationship with them great.

- I hope the Cakewalk team lands on their feet as there are some very talented folks at that company. Whether they get acquired, or end up heading to another company, I wish them the best of luck. That said, I'm waiting for the dust to settle before I think about jumping ship.

Sadly, not surprised at all. I had just become comfortable with Opcode Studio Vision, and had upgraded to an Opcode Studio 5 interface, when Gibson gobbled up Opcode, took a brief taste, then spat the company into the trash. I eventually migrated over to Emagic Apple Logic; but the transition was a pain in the ass, especially with Opcode support long gone.

And so the 'profits before people' wheel keeps on turning....

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Being able to reload an old project is an absolute must... meaning as OS's update & the software doesn't I'll have to always maintain some type of machine that can restore a project
I think the current version of SONAR will continue to work on Windows 10 for many years, maybe even 10.

That may be true, but it's not particularly helpful if you make a living doing this stuff.

Many years ago, before VST was widespread, Waves offered their plugins in Direct X for PC users. The production studio I worked for had 2 audio studios, both running Cakewalk, both using Waves in DX format. All of a sudden, after VST had started becoming more popular than DX, Waves dropped Direct X support. When Waves vr6 came out, both studios upgraded... and then quickly realized that we could not restore any of our old projects, because the plugins wouldn't be recognized. We had to revert back one of the rooms to the old version of Waves so we could restore old projects... which also hampered our ability to work on projects together (like me doing the music while he was working on sfx). Serious PITA.

So yeah, 10 years from now, I'll still be able to load an old Sonar project with a machine running Win 10, as long as I'm willing to have a machine still running Win 10 in 10 years. That's not ideal in my world. When a client wants to reuse a spot and simply update the Voice Over tag, and they're already paid an archive fee on the previous project, they expect you to pull the project up, make the quick update and only charge them an hour of time (including cutting and editing the new tag). So rebuilding a mix becomes non-billable time.

I already have a lot of legacy retired gear (so I can access 15+ years of archives on data DAT, for example) that I have to maintain. I'm not happy about it. By the way- the computer that used to run the Waves DX plugs died last year. And yes, I still occassionally have to reload projects from that era, and yes, I have to rebuild the mix from scratch now.... on my own dime.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

as long as I'm willing to have a machine still running Win 10 in 10 years.
supposedly Windows 10 is the last version of Windows ever. though updates may drop support for old hardware.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

There's lots of music producers, professional and hobbyists, that work with what they have - rarely updating if ever. If your actually getting work done you can sequence a brand new Kronos 2 with an Atari ST and Notator. The nice thing about Windows is that you will be able to find a cheap PC that can run XP or whatever version of Windows you need for your DAW for a very long time. Heck, you can have a ProTools HD rig from yesteryear for pennies today. $ and gear don't equate to a great tune - there's definitely other magic involved like a great melody, beat/groove, lyric, chord choices, etc.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

We've had a few people come over to DP already and introduce themselves on the forum.

As for saving as stems, I'll never understand why people don't record actual audio for their projects and just do one final stereo mix.

I don't trust computers, software, or the longevity of companies as well as file formats, and coming from tape days, it's natural for me to commit and move on, as one can always go back if necessary, and active listening is very useful anyway. But of course it does take longer.

Maybe also because I collaborated for years with someone who was on Sonar, and we could never get project interchange formats and tools to work properly, I made an early decision to always record every track and every stem, and also to "waste" disc space by starting all tracks at zero and leaving no gaps (I do frequent "merge" operations).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I made an early decision to always record every track and every stem, and also to "waste" disc space by starting all tracks at zero and leaving no gaps (I do frequent "merge" operations).

Me too. My Pro Tools sessions all have one audio file per track, starting from bar oneregardless of whether or not there's audio at bar oneand ending after the last bit of audio for each track. It slows me down a bit to work that way, but at least my

recordings are somewhat future proof.

My sig link to Craig's archiving article contains great tips along those lines.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

SONAR is one of the products MOTU accepts for a competitive upgrade. You can get DP for $395.

https://motu.com/store_products/software/dp/#competitive-upgrade-info

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

SONAR is one of the products MOTU accepts for a competitive upgrade. You can get DP for $395.

https://motu.com/store_products/software/dp/#competitive-upgrade-info

DP looks like a pretty good option for me so far. I've already crossed off Studio One as a possibility because it (as far as I can tell) does not support AAF or OMF. Deal breaker in my world.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Bad news for this long-time Cakewalk user. I always appreciated their stability and support.

Am I the only one here that bought the Windows version of Logic just before it was sold to Apple and they immediately killed it?

Nothing in computing lasts forever.

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

I was a longtime Cakewalk Pro Audio 8 user(1998 to 2007, before getting Tracktion 2). It was my first PC-based DAW.. a culture shock of sorts going from recording tracks on my Fostex 8-track HD recorder. I almost went the Sonar route before deciding on the Reason 7 upgrade. Became a MAC'er after the forced Win 10 upgrade on my laptop rendered Reason 7 useless. Logic so far has been awesome.

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

• 2 weeks later...

MOTU have announced today that Digital Performer cross-grades are only $195 through 21 December 2017:

https://motu.com/store_products/software/dp

I'm sure this will help quite a few Sonar users on this forum to afford a switch.

• 2 months later...
Looks like Cakewalk got some CPR.....

https://cakewalk.bandlab.com

Three Cheers! I guess.

I wasn't looking forward to the idea of buying, installing and learning a new DAW. However, my version of Sonar X3 Producer is so buggy, I don't enjoy using it. Hopefully, Bandlab can fix it.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

Looks like Cakewalk got some CPR.....

https://cakewalk.bandlab.com

I have been using Calkwalk software since the midi-only days. I still use my copy of Sonar X2 today (on a dedicated Win 7 machine). And 'cause everything was working just fine, I had no immediate plans to change.

I would love to see Sonar continue and grow. But we will have to wait and see what Bandlab will do with the technologies they have acquired. It may be a continuation of Sonar, and it may be something different.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

Archived