Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I Fell and Went Boom

Doug Robinson

Doug,

Although the plummet and landing was terrible, I'm glad you got such good medical treatment.

Somehow I'm reminded of the old joke, "Apart from that, Mrs. Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?"

Ambivalently, Tom.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have always thought of you as a bit of a high flyer, Doug, but this is perhaps carrying it a bit far...... ;)

Thank goodness you are still among us. I wish you the speediest possible recovery! xx

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Harrowing ordeal but definitely the right attitude and spirit in the face of it. Wishing you all the best in your recovery mayne. Don't stop the music.:thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• 1 month later...

Hi, all--here's an update. It's all good news, though I wish it was going faster.

The surgery was perfect--8 screws and a plate in my poor shoulder (permanent) and 3 nails (they called them wires but i saw them after he removed them lat week--they were freaking NAILS) in my wrist. Spent several weeks mostly in bed, doped up and watching killer series like Mozart in the Jungle, Marvelous Mrs Maisel, Black Mirror, etc. Lots of pain if I moved wrong.

Now we're about 8 weeks past surgery and I have a lot of movement, though it's still quite limited. Starting physical therapy next week, but I've been doing some exercises and stretches already. Certain movements are forbidden for now while new bone grows, which is going very well.

I can play the piano about 10 minutes a day till it starts to hurt enough to stop me. He wants me to double it in the coming week, but I can break it up between morning and night. Says it is not unreasonable that my comeback concert in my little town could be the first week of april. I've turned down a lot of gigs for Jan and Feb, opting for only one guest appearance at a Stevie tribute on melodica (sitting on a stand).

Doing acupuncture and micro-current therapy. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not.

So all is well--I am incredibly lucky to have walked away from such a dramatic fall with only a broken shoulder, wrist and battered ass (the nerves reconnecting in my ass cheeks are terribly distracting and more painful than you might think, but only for short periods of time).

Thanks everyone for your well wishes and kind words. I'll be back among the playing one of these days.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

Its all downhill from here. Now that the initial repair has concluded, therapy is still the key. Use your practice time as your reward for getting through all the reptative exercises and youll be back to a new normal before you know it.

Thanks for the update.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Thanks, amigos. The one thing that hasn't suffered is my creativity--when I sit down to play and start improvising, even though I'm playing through some pain the ideas feel fresh to me, like I got recharged with someone else's concepts and they are meshing with my own. So that's a big plus.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

Thanks, amigos. The one thing that hasn't suffered is my creativity--when I sit down to play and start improvising, even though I'm playing through some pain the ideas feel fresh to me, like I got recharged with someone else's concepts and they are meshing with my own. So that's a big plus.

That's exactly the right outlook. I cringed with sympathy while reading of the damage you took in your fall. It scares the hell out of you as a musician in particular, on top of the general worry. I understand all too well, as I suddenly developed nerve damage from the statins I took for my cholesterol levels, which took two-fisted piano away from me. I can no longer dependably play a walking bass with my left hand, argh. I'm not big-C Crippled, but I lost a chunk of the delicate neural feedback you need to play in a fully fluid manner. Mellotron bits are easily managed and I can still do good leads with a little work, for which I am grateful. When the bad luck fell on my foot, I sat stunned for a while; then I pulled up my pants and began working on becoming a better Logic user. I have a decent semi-orchestrational ear that I might not have discovered otherwise. It includes a short chapter on How I Came To Love the French Horn. :love:

"Synthesis" includes how you cope with life changes that affect your music. When you speak of playing through pain and feeling recharged, I can relate to the creative defiance a person has to muster against their injury. "You think that's going to stop me? Well listen to THIS!" I hope you heal well so you can make the most of this bump in the road. Continuing to play is part of it. We all appreciate your grace under pressure. Go, man, go! :like:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

That was really inspiring, David. U2, rabid.

David, all that just from statins? Yikes.

Great attitude.... Wonderful way to accept the event and graciously rebound. :2thu:

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Just saying hi--about 13 days ago, i stepped on a tile in an unfinished house's second floor and went right through it, almost 12 feet. Hit hard, broke my left shoulder in 7 places and my left wrist. When i can type with both hands i'll share some details because it was fascinating, in addition to being scary and painful.

long story short, a brilliant surgeon here put me together with pins and wires and side part of my body feels better every day. coxsis got smashed and skin torn but no break. How lucky am I? No nerve damage, death, spine, head, internal organs, fingers or toes or feet...amazing really.

it was one week before a two night music event i was producing where i was playing with 6 different acts and tickets were selling briskly. Had to cancel--lots of people letting me donate the money to the charity i had in mind anyway.

That was going top be my final concert for at least 6 months, as i hhave a lot of material i want ti record in mexico city with these hot young players i've been getting to know. interestingly, its the most left-hand intensive writing I've in a while. Anyway, that's on hold too.

pain has been profound and awful and still can be if i do the wrong thing, but now a steady 2-4 which i can handle. arm is in a sling and wrist in a brace, and wife is a saint.

i'll pop in as i can but typing is a drag right now. take care of each other, and see you soon. screws and p[lates are forever, pins come out in 4 weeks.

Doug Robinson

Ugh sorry to hear it man, wishing you a speedy recovery.

Also I'm both pleased and gobsmacked to read that it wasn't worse.

I'm going to be in Mexico City next month for two weeks to set up Les Mis if you're around. Healing beers on me (or bite or coffee, etc) if you're around. Cheers!

That was really inspiring, David. U2, rabid.

David, all that just from statins? Yikes.

'fraid so. For some people, extended statin use leads to permanent muscle damage. In severe cases, even walking is curtailed, leading to what is called the "statin shuffle." Nothing I read ever clearly indicated THAT as a possibility. I was not told that I needed to be monitored in any way when clearly, I did. After years on the market, its still only mentioned in passing publicly, because if people were more aware of the risk, it would hurt *profits*. This is where I STFU, because it could turn Socio-Political and I would say many Bad words. This is a comprehensive article that covers it well. Be aware and ask your doctor, of course.

Statin article

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Archived