Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I Fell and Went Boom

Doug Robinson

Just saying hi--about 13 days ago, i stepped on a tile in an unfinished house's second floor and went right through it, almost 12 feet. Hit hard, broke my left shoulder in 7 places and my left wrist. When i can type with both hands i'll share some details because it was fascinating, in addition to being scary and painful.

long story short, a brilliant surgeon here put me together with pins and wires and side part of my body feels better every day. coxsis got smashed and skin torn but no break. How lucky am I? No nerve damage, death, spine, head, internal organs, fingers or toes or feet...amazing really.

it was one week before a two night music event i was producing where i was playing with 6 different acts and tickets were selling briskly. Had to cancel--lots of people letting me donate the money to the charity i had in mind anyway.

That was going top be my final concert for at least 6 months, as i hhave a lot of material i want ti record in mexico city with these hot young players i've been getting to know. interestingly, its the most left-hand intensive writing I've in a while. Anyway, that's on hold too.

pain has been profound and awful and still can be if i do the wrong thing, but now a steady 2-4 which i can handle. arm is in a sling and wrist in a brace, and wife is a saint.

i'll pop in as i can but typing is a drag right now. take care of each other, and see you soon. screws and p[lates are forever, pins come out in 4 weeks.

Doug Robinson

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take care and have a speedy recovery! Wishing you the best.

I work in large capital projects, and familiar with these risks.

Construction safety is always the priority. . We can get hurt very quickly, very easily and very seriously...

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Wow Doug. I saw your FB posts about being injured and canceling the gig, but not the cause. Holy smokes - 12 feet? Glad you're on the mend and mendable.

I am looking forward to the full story, though. :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Heal up quickly and DO YOUR THERAPY - NO SKIPPING. My damage wasn't nearly as severe as yours, but you can only help yourself get better by following the routine and sticking with it.

Stay Strong.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Oh crap. That's a really tough situation, but so glad you are working through it.

I hope you pull out of this quickly. Let us know how you are doing whenever it makes sense to do so. We'll be here thinking of you.

Wow, Doug.. Sorry to hear that. Wishing you a quick and thorough recovery.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Thanks, all! No wonder Ive been sleeping so soundly, all these lovely healing beams sent my way.

I think it was actually a ceiling tile for the first floor, and the second floor above it hadn't been laid down yet. don't really know, though.

Regardless, working on a new song with a chorus that starts:

No I wont be back this way again

And I won't take back what I need to say again

Recovery

Recover me...

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

Archived