Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can I Install OSX Over Network?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On some Powerbooks, there is a feature that turns it into a Firewire drive. Then you could install it as if it were just another drive on yout iMac. Check your docs or the Apple Tech Docs site for info.

"For instance" is not proof.

Yeah, I knew about the Firewire "network", got that info from here.

Originally posted by Dan South:

Forget the Ethernet. Use a Firewire cable. Instructions are in your Mac manuals, but here's the short version.

(1) Start with both computers powered off.

(2) Connect them with a Firewire cable.

(3) Start up the iBook.

(4) When the iBook has booted completely, start the G4 while holding the 'T' key. ('T' stands for "target" in this case.)

The G4's monitor will flash the Firewire logo, but you'll see the G4's "MacintoshHD" folder on the your iBook screen. Both hard drives are present at once, so it can look a little cluttered. I keep a folder called Desktop Mac on my desktop and one called Laptop Mac on the laptop to keep them separate.

Now you can drag an drop files or folders freely between the two machines.

IMPORTANT - POWERING DOWN INSTRUCTIONS

You MUST follow this order.

(1) Drag the G4's MacintoshHD into the iBook's Trash folder. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP, or bad things will happen!

(2) Power down the G4 by pressing its "hot key."

You may continue working on the iBook or shut it down now. You can power up the G4 in standard mode after it powers down completely.

Just so you know, as regards your signature, I ALWAYS read the manuals first, usually all the way through.

But right now my help files on the iMac are acting up, but that's another thread.

So far all I can find about installing over a network, would require having OS X Server:

This document explains how to create a Network Install disk image.

To create installer images, use the Network Image Utility. You can find this application on the Mac OS X Server Administration Tools CD that comes with Mac OS X Server. Look in the folder /NetBoot, Network Install/Image Creation. To create an image that includes system software, you need a Mac OS X install CD.

I don't have Server, and to create a network between the two machines they already have to be on, or powered up holding "T". I haven't tried starting up from the OS X install disk on the iMac yet, cause I don't think I'll be able to find the PowerBook HD as a destination disk.

Hmmmm... Can I start up holding "C" & "T" ?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Sly :cool:

Oh yeah, I know I can just get another drive for the PowerBook, but that will probably end up being a Firewire drive too, just procrastinating.

Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

You can get a working OS X system installed on the Powerbook if the Powerbook has a built-in firewire port (ie it is a Pismo G3 or any flavor of Powerbook G4). Use firewire target disk mode to mount the Powerbook's hard disk on your iMac...use the directions Dan South wrote that you posted above. Then download Mike Bombich's Carbon Copy Cloner program from www.bombich.com and have it clone your iMac's hard disk over to the Powerbook. Carbon Copy is free and works great...better than the Network Image Utility that Apple bundles with OS X Server.

Those directions Dan gave are correct, but even they can be simplified. Both machines dont have to be powered off, only the machine you intend to use as a harddrive (the one you hold down T on).

no, not every mac turns into a firewire drive when holding T.

i happen to have 4 that do not. my fiance has one that does not, and my collegaue has two that two not.

sometimes one should use ones brain before one speaks.

Carbon Copy Cloner is not supported over network connections; it only works with locally mounted volumes (ie in /Volumes) so you would have to either use a portable firewire hard drive or firewire target disk mode to do what Groovepusher wants to do.

One other thing I forgot to mention...the version of Disk Utility that comes with Panther does just about everything that Carbon Copy Cloner does.

That is correct...firewire target disk mode (hold Apple/Command + T at startup) is only supported by Macs that came standard with a firewire port. The hardware list includes: Pismo G3 Powerbooks and all G4 Powerbooks, white iBooks, Yosemite G3 towers and all G4/G5 towers, and all eMacs, flat-panel iMacs, and "DV" iMacs (graphite, indigo, sage, ruby, white, dalmation, flowerpower). One caveat with G3/G4/G5 towers...if your machine has a SCSI card, you won't be able to mount any SCSI hard drives through firewire target disk mode.

Originally posted by Beagle1:

Carbon Copy Cloner is not supported over network connections; it only works with locally mounted volumes (ie in /Volumes) so you would have to either use a portable firewire hard drive or firewire target disk mode to do what Groovepusher wants to do.

One other thing I forgot to mention...the version of Disk Utility that comes with Panther does just about everything that Carbon Copy Cloner does.

That is correct...firewire target disk mode (hold Apple/Command + T at startup) is only supported by Macs that came standard with a firewire port. The hardware list includes: Pismo G3 Powerbooks and all G4 Powerbooks, white iBooks, Yosemite G3 towers and all G4/G5 towers, and all eMacs, flat-panel iMacs, and "DV" iMacs (graphite, indigo, sage, ruby, white, dalmation, flowerpower). One caveat with G3/G4/G5 towers...if your machine has a SCSI card, you won't be able to mount any SCSI hard drives through firewire target disk mode.

Connecting with Appletalk via ethernet makes it a locally mounted disc. I do it to back up one mac to another regularly with both CopyAgent and CCC, and it works jsut fine.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Mounting a volume with Appletalk or TCP/IP is connecting to a network volume, not a local volume. Bombich's own CCC FAQ says this is not supported:

Q(14): Can I use CCC to backup to a network volume?

A: No. There are many difficulties in getting the proper set of privileges to make this possible. You can connect two Macs with a firewire cable, though, and boot one into target disk mode. A firewire connection is 4-40 times faster anyway.

Originally posted by Beagle1:

Mounting a volume with Appletalk or TCP/IP is connecting to a network volume, not a local volume. Bombich's own CCC FAQ says this is not supported:

Q(14): Can I use CCC to backup to a network volume?

A: No. There are many difficulties in getting the proper set of privileges to make this possible. You can connect two Macs with a firewire cable, though, and boot one into target disk mode. A firewire connection is 4-40 times faster anyway.

Well it appears the FAQ are incorrect in this case.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I got it figured out Saturday after I logged off.

As it turns out, the info I had from Dan South was what I needed.

To clarify, as Alon said above, you don't need to turn both machines off, just the target machine.

But since I wanted a clean install on the PowerBook, I did turn both machines off.

Then,

1. I started the iMac up from the OS X install disk.

2. Next I started the PowerBook in "Target Disk Mode".

3. Click install on the iMac

4. When prompted, select the disk (firewire drive) to install to.

Piece o' cake. For some reason I was stuck on the network thing, had the answer all the time.

One note though, before when I was using ethernet between the iMac (OS X) and the PowerBook (OS 9) I had to log on from both machines. Now that both are on 10.3, you only log on from one machine. The iMac becomes the server and the PowerBook the host.

I'm cool for now, thanks again.

Sly :cool:

Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

Archived