Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Update cycle for MIDI controllers?

tfort

What do you guys think is the typical update cycle for a MIDI controller? I've been looking to pick up a 61 or 73 key controller to use both for MainStage and in a home studio, and everything seems to be stuck in time...

Roland A-800 Pro: released in Jan 2010 at Winter NAMM

Arturia Keylab: introduced in April 2013 at MusikMesse

Novation SL MkII: came out in 2008? and not really replaced yet

It seems that with the ubiquity of cheap cell phones, 4-5" color screens ought to be a dime a dozen these days. I'd like to find something with a high-quality semi weighted keybed, 1 or 2 good 4-5" screens, lighted rotary encoders that align with the screen for showing information, and 9 faders that send MIDI CC.

Native Instruments S61 mkII is close, but I really want the faders and I'm turned off by the closed "standard" of NKS.

Is it unrealistic to hope that one of the above companies (or Studiologic/Fatar) might release an updated controller in January?

Why don't companies keep their controllers on a 4 or 5 year update cycle like most other digital instruments?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tempted to throw up the "Old Spider's Home" cartoon here again, but you're relatively new so I'll skip it. ;)

I'm really not sure where to start with this... except to say that, like many people on this forum moaning about their perfect product not existing, you grossly overestimate the size of our particular little niche.

That being said, you've completely missed at least one choice that ticks a few of your particular boxes, the Akai MPK261.

As for "4 or 5 year update cycle" most of them do. The A800 Pro is long discontinued, Roland's current offering is the A49, because they know there's no please most of us, so they're aiming at the budget home studio controller market primarily.

Novation has come out with 3 different lines since their SL series was introduced, none of which was focused on the particularly small target that you're staring at.

The NI "closed standard of NKS" can be completely ignored by you, as it has absolutely nothing to with its controller capabilities, and only affects the librarian side of things. Not sure why people seem to miss that point, but there it is.

Oh, and last point: MIDI has been virtually unchanged since 1983. For what it's worth.

I bought my MIDI controller new in 1989.

It is still MIDI compliant. No update cycle applies. That's almost thirty years.

Of course that was back when good MIDI controllers were available that didn't feel like toys.

Up until 2 days ago, my weighted studio controller was my Roland A-80, purchased new in 1989. Still worked fine, but I reconfigured the studio area and it's back in its flight case (for the present).

In its place (again, for the present)? The Roland A-50 76-key semi-weighted controller of the same vintage as the A-80. :snax:

Of course that was back when good MIDI controllers were available that didn't feel like toys.

Viscount Physis Piano K4 and K5 are at least on par w/ the vintage MIDI controllers.

But the interest in these is small.

So small, the major sellers in germany don´t offer ´em anymore.

In fact the crowd prefers buying the toys !

A.C.

On par is an understatement.

K4 is the pinnacle of MIDI and the way they added VST Devices makes it the most advanced full featured controller you can buy.

The Dual USB Inputs with Quad Hosts pretty much means this will last a long time.

I used the Roland A after my my KX88 got mushy, and its a great controller, but once the Oberheim MC3000 came out it took me for an 18 year ride.

Heavy ass sucker but great for running FX and Modules, plus Scope DSP and Native.

The K4 is a God send, an update to the Oberheim MC3000.

The OP should check out Akai Advanced Series.

Got a 61 note for my youngest son and its very editable with decent DAW integration.

But I can automate an Midas M32 while FOH plays on the iPad, automate my rig, automate Lights and vocal effects, and I mean fine tune every aspect.

Even transmits SysEx, Absolute 14bit, transport CCs, MTC....

I tend to get excited try to explain how great of a controller this is.

But I use to run sequences and pack floppies, like a fucking octopus, my only enjoyment was knowing things worked and sounded great.

With a K4 I can enjoy playing and listening again.

Its the best ax I ever owned.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

A few things to add here since you mention mainstage as one of your main softwares.

One model not yet mentioned here is the Nektar Panorama. While I havent touched the keyboard, if the action turns out to be good it could be a good option since it intergrates well with Mainstage without requiring any additional software layer for feedback at the controller. My current choice is the Novation sl mk2. Its action is excellent for an unweighted. I also have controller feedback working great but this requires some setting up and you need to run Automap as an extra software layer for the feedback to happen.

With few exceptions most controllers wont do midi feedback and I see this as a deal breaker for at least one of my live keyboards.

Some mentioned Akaipro. I will never go there again after a rough 10 months with an mpk 88. The build quality was rubbish and the weighted key bed was so uneven across different ranges.

Paul Najar

Jaminajar music production

www.jaminajar.com

The A800 Pro is long discontinued

I'm just curious, how do you know this? The A800 seems to be unavailable but it's not shown as discontinued on Roland's websites:

https://www.roland.com/us/categories/keyboards/keyboard_controllers/

https://www.roland.com/global/products/a-800pro/

So no official confirmation. You know someone at Roland? I wouldn't be surprised to see a new model coming, or them just abandoning the market completely.

K4 is the pinnacle of MIDI and the way they added VST Devices makes it the most advanced full featured controller you can buy.

The Dual USB Inputs with Quad Hosts pretty much means this will last a long time.

And I waited for too long to get one.

When I really wanted, they only offered the EX models which I didn´t want to pay for.

Now, there´s nothing anymore here.

But I still hope they will come up w/ a black 76 synth action one at NAMM and/or Musikmesse.

A.C.

And I waited for too long to get one.

When I really wanted, they only offered the EX models which I didn´t want to pay for.

Now, there´s nothing anymore here.

But I still hope they will come up w/ a black 76 synth action one at NAMM and/or Musikmesse.

A.C.

They have 76 note K5s for 1500.

Im just happy they released 3 firmware upgrades addressing the pre and post options between Scenes and other non critical issues.

You could only go from Scene 1 > Scene 4 and recieve new controllers.

Pre and Post options are saved and can be stored in Chains which is not found in most controllers Im aware of.

No biggie unless youre automating vocals and DMC or MAC Lighting, etc.

I turned on the Fog Machine so many times accidentally I was relieved from that privilege by the Guitarist since he loves pedals.

Hope they have new ones but in all honesty Im so comfortable Id only get something that expands the current system.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Archived