Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Polyphony problem with Roland FA-07

raffkey

I recently purchased the FA-07, based on reviews, etc. and am shocked to find out that when I play rapidly or strike a lot of notes with the sustain pedal engaged, notes are being cut off and/or don't sound.

I've tried three different pedals including a Roland, and same results.

Anyone FA-07 users out there having this issue?

I'm thinking of returning the board for something similar and am open to suggestions. Besides the above issue, I was expecting a little better key action. My $300 Yamaha Piaggero has a better feel than this. Not what I was expecting in terms of semi-weighted keys..

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can easily eat up polyphony if you have many parts engaged, whether sounding them or not.

Start there. Turn of the keys on any of the 16 parts you don't want to sound, if you are in Studio Set mode.

I never had a poly problem with my FA08.

I can't help you with the keybed, as that is totally subjective.

I personally love the keybed on the FA07. Light years ahead of the FA06, and for me, plays great. I am still considering buying one.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom-08| Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

You can easily eat up polyphony if you have many parts engaged, whether sounding them or not.

Start there. Turn of the keys on any of the 16 parts you don't want to sound, if you are in Studio Set mode.

I never had a poly problem with my FA08.

I can't help you with the keybed, as that is totally subjective.

I personally love the keybed on the FA07. Light years ahead of the FA06, and for me, plays great. I am still considering buying one.

I am price shopping the FA-06. I know the keybed is quite cheap.

I believe I can workaround that by using my Kronos 88 midi

Like you, the FA-07 would be ideal. As usual, its the $$$....

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I recently purchased the FA-07, based on reviews, etc. and am shocked to find out that when I play rapidly or strike a lot of notes with the sustain pedal engaged, notes are being cut off and/or don't sound.

I'm thinking of returning the board for something similar and am open to suggestions. Besides the above issue, I was expecting a little better key action. My $300 Yamaha Piaggero has a better feel than this. Not what I was expecting in terms of semi-weighted keys..

While I'm highly suspicious of your judgement based on your comparison of the Piaggero vs. the FA07, I'll point out that your suspicion of the pedal shows that you really don't understand how polyphony works in modern keyboards, so returning it and buying something else (at the same price point) isn't going to resolve your problem, because they'll all behave that way.

Read the manual, understand how the sounds are created on the keyboard, and check the sounds you're using to see how many voices are actually being triggered for every note press, and then either play accordingly, pick a different sound, or edit the patch so it behaves the way you want.

While I'm highly suspicious of your judgement based on your comparison of the Piaggero vs. the FA07, I'll point out that your suspicion of the pedal shows that you really don't understand how polyphony works in modern keyboards, so returning it and buying something else (at the same price point) isn't going to resolve your problem, because they'll all behave that way.

Read the manual, understand how the sounds are created on the keyboard, and check the sounds you're using to see how many voices are actually being triggered for every note press, and then either play accordingly, pick a different sound, or edit the patch so it behaves the way you want.

don't edumacate him too much, Sven.

I was going to say ' terrible board. I will take it off your hands for $400 '

;)

[70's Songwriter]

;)

Yeah me too. I offer $450 :)

and thanks Sven for going into detail on what I was attempting to say too quickly :like:

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom-08| Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

;)

Yeah me too. I offer $450 :)

and thanks Sven for going into detail on what I was attempting to say too quickly :like:

:LOL:

my counter is a $500 offer on midi training. Mysterious Intervention Device inoperativeness

[70's Songwriter]

Yeah. Only 128 poly on the FA. The note stealing algo should make it entirely unnoticeable on single layer patches. But with presets and user patches that layer up sounds (simple example piano and strings), if you're pedaling a lot you may notice "Cutoff" on slow strings in particular which may not end at a "musical" point in their sustain/decay/release. Higher poly is very desirable on boards that can layer (2,3,4+ layers).

Yamaha CP88, Roland VR-700, Crumar Mojo, rebuilt 1910 Chickering 5'2", Fender Rhodes MKI 88k, Casio PX-560

My $300 Yamaha Piaggero has a better feel than this.

While I'm highly suspicious of your judgement based on your comparison of the Piaggero vs. the FA07

For piano, I would take the Piaggero keys over the FA-07. The Yamaha is just more evenly responsive as you approach the rear of the keys. From what I remember, the FA-07 black keys are effectively only about 2" long, before resistance increases dramatically.

Yeah. Only 128 poly on the FA. The note stealing algo should make it entirely unnoticeable on single layer patches.

True. But I've sometimes been surprised. On a Korg Kross (80-voice max, 40-voice double mode polyphony), I only got 20 notes out of the default piano patch, iirc.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

If you have sounds in many parts, and they're "on" they use up polyphony whether sounding or not!

The way the KBD switch works is, you can turn on parts 1-3 then just scroll so part 4 is selected and play it.

But, parts 1-3 still use up polyphony.

So if you're not using them, the KBD switch needs to be off.

A similar thing happens if they're "active" but muted.

Thanks all.

I was using the Full Grand patch with strings. Yesterday, the drop out didn't happen at all..Puzzling.

As for the un fair comparing with the Yamaha, (thank you Scott for your agreement with me :) ), I stand by it. Graded key action on the Yamaha IMHO beats the FA's synth keys with slight resistance, but I guess it's subjective.

As for the bidding on the Yamaha,keep it coming :)

Thanks all.

As for the un fair comparing with the Yamaha, (thank you Scott for your agreement with me :) ), I stand by it. Graded key action on the Yamaha IMHO beats the FA's synth keys with slight resistance, but I guess it's subjective.

As for the bidding on the Yamaha,keep it coming :)

no, we don't want your Yamaha.

Its the Fa-07 thats causing you grief. Happy to relieve you of the problem :)

[70's Songwriter]

Opps, guess I read that wrong!

I do like the sounds of the FA and everything else about it. I just have never experienced any drop out on any other keyboard I've owned and was worried it was it would be an on going problem.

Thank you all for the education on polyphony. I was guessing that was the issue and never thought about the sustain pedal and using it correctly. I really should be smarter about these things.. :(

I'm also getting 'used to' the key action.

I'll probably keep it....and the Yamaha :)

Opps, guess I read that wrong!

I do like the sounds of the FA and everything else about it. I just have never experienced any drop out on any other keyboard I've owned and was worried it was it would be an on going problem.

Thank you all for the education on polyphony. I was guessing that was the issue and never thought about the sustain pedal and using it correctly. I really should be smarter about these things.. :(

I'm also getting 'used to' the key action.

I'll probably keep it....and the Yamaha :)

don't worry about reading everyones posts 'correctly '

One exception- when Sven replies to you- you are expected to memorize

and follow thru on every word ;)

BTW, what is your assessment of the keybed action of the FA-07 ? Don't compare to a piano. Think unweighed synth action experience.

Thank you

[70's Songwriter]

So I'm hoping to post something Piaggerish shortly - but I will say for a dirt-cheap board the action really isn't bad. As Scott said, it responds well towards the back of the black keys, and although I haven't compared to a FA07, it is streets ahead of the FA06/VR09 action, and also the Yamaha MOXF6 and Korg Kross/Krome actions.

Cheers, Mike.

That's a legit assessment. The action on VR09/FA06 is fricken awful.

Korg's Kross actions are poo also. ;)

But keep in mind, with the Piaggero Yamaha is trying to deliver a cheap portable instrument for piano players who are as bitchy about actions as they come. So not surprised they cut corners everywhere they could but slapped an acceptable action on it.

Yamaha CP88, Roland VR-700, Crumar Mojo, rebuilt 1910 Chickering 5'2", Fender Rhodes MKI 88k, Casio PX-560

I was using the Full Grand patch with strings. Yesterday, the drop out didn't happen at all..Puzzling.

We fixed it for you remotely. You're welcome.

I do that, too

For Example;

" Alexa, clean the litter box "

" Alexa, post on Facebook and tell that lady, the Tatoo parlor is closed "

" Alexa, rebalance my 401k so I can retire next month "

http://mms.businesswire.com/media/20160914005655/en/544432/5/FamilyShot_centered.jpg

[70's Songwriter]

So I'm hoping to post something Piaggerish shortly - but I will say for a dirt-cheap board the action really isn't bad. As Scott said, it responds well towards the back of the black keys, and although I haven't compared to a FA07, it is streets ahead of the FA06/VR09 action, and also the Yamaha MOXF6 and Korg Kross/Krome actions.

While I agree that the PIaggero feels better than the MOXF6, it is not as different from that as it is from the FA06/VR09/Kross/Krome. They are somewhat similar, and both are more even toward the rear than those Roland/Korg actions.

It surprised me that they were even as different as they were, in that I expected the Piaggero and the MOXF6 to feel the same, apart from the Piaggero grading which creates three subtly different zones of resistance (whereas the MOXF6 is all the same), but there is some other mechanical difference, that seems particularly evident in the feel of the release of the keys. (Of course, they are also shaped differently, PIaggero keys are piano-shaped vs. diving board.) But they do share a similar basic feel, including better (though still imperfect) rear key response compared to those other budget actions. They are still far from ideal in terms of giving you smooth control over gradations from pp to ff.

As far as overall feel/playability, while I rank those Yamahas above those Roland/Korg models, among low-cost non-hammer actions, I'd still prefer a Numa Compact (Fatar), Kurzweil SP4-7 (Medeli), or Casio XW-P1 (well, some of them... I've played good and bad ones).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 2 months later...

This is probably a tad late, but for anyone else having the issue with the polyphony.

Like everyone else have said, it's caused due to the amount of sound and things being used up all at once...

On the Fa 07 however, it'll mostly happen when you combine any of the Supernatural Engine sounds (those sounds are beautiful, but they also use up a whole lot more sound space than other sound sources - permit me to describe it like that).

So for where you've been mixing piano and string and synth and bass (for instance) and they're all Supernatural sounds, and they're cutting out, start but changing one or two (or all if you can) of the sounds to NOT use a Supernatural one.. One or two Supernatural in your mix is probably okay, going beyond that will very likely lead to cut outs...

Second thing you can do is to use the 'Voice Reserve' feature in fa 07 - I'm no music techie, but the general idea is that, from your selected sound mix, you can reserve voice space for certain sounds - so that way even if some other voices cut out, those/that main/loudest voice(s) would likely not. This makes any potential cut out almost unnoticeable.

Voice reserve is in the settings somewhere - read the manual or look it up online.

My typical mix now is a Supernatural Piano, a Supernatural synth string, some pscm (or pcsm, can't remember, but that alternative sound source) bass synth, pscm acoustic bass, pscm organ, and maybe one other that I can't remember now. And I've reserved 70% of the voice for Piano (my loudest and main sound), and 30 for the Synth String.. And I hardly hardly ever get a cut out now.

Hope this helps.

Now