Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Clip-on Headstock Tuners: which to buy?

Winston Psmith

Looking for a good, not-too-expensive, headstock tuner. Never used one, so I have no idea which ones are good, better, or best. I have tuners built into all my MFX, as well as an old Boss TU-12h, which has served me well for years, but . . .

I'm part of a show this coming January, Music for 100 Guitars (yes, you read that correctly). Last year, we had to re-tune in the middle of the show, and it's just quicker and easier if everyone has a little headstock tuner; smaller footprint, for one thing, as everyone brings their own Amp. Last year, it looked like a Fender showroom . . .

Thanks, everyone.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best one I had was a Fishman; quick note identification, very accurate tuning display. Of course, it got lost at a gig.

Snarks are popular, and I have one of those. While I don't like how big and awkward looking it is, the tuning function is quite good, at least on regular guitar and mandolin. It's got some lag time when using it on bass; and sometimes the low E and B strings don't register well.

I also have some Planet Waves Micro tuners. I like that they are less obtrusive. While the note detection is pretty good, the display is sometimes hard to read with these poor old eyes. Could be a D, could be a B...

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I just ordered a TC Electronic Uni Tune Clip for $29 bucks (not the poly which costs twice as much). Not a fan of TC but a buddy brought one to the last jam and it has a real cool large bright screen and he highly recommended it...

I've been using the Snarks and they are great. The bigger round ones will break at the stem over time if you're not real careful. So, I bought the smaller square one which works great! They have served me well and are dead on as far as tuning goes. I really like the clip-on as you can use them on all of your guitars acoustic and electric. Well lit and they show up on a dark stage and in the sun light. You can tune silently and other room noise and people tuning, talking, 100 Guitars LOL! etc., won't bother your needle at all. You will love them! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Many thanks, Danzilla and Larryz! I'll check out the Snarks and the T.C. at my local GC this weekend.

Last year's Music for 70 Guitars gig was a lot of fun, and I got to meet a bunch of local Musicians I hadn't met before, which was very cool. FWIW, we wound up with around 63 Guitarists for that show, a little short of the goal, but still impressive.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Your welcome Brother, We'll compare notes on what you and I think of the TC and the Snark after I get my TC in the mail! I hope the batteries last in the TC as it puts out a lot of light, so I may be checking back in, a year from now LOL! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

• 4 weeks later...
My TC Chromatic clip-on tuner finally came in the mail from SW with some back ordered strings. It works great and is now residing in my Christmas stocking LOL! It will replace my Snark. There are two modes for tuning and I can't tell the difference as they have very similar readouts. The only complaint is the on/off switch is very small and you need to have finger nails to work it (which I have). You also have to angle it toward you when turning off/on to make it easier to work it. It has an auto shut down which is a good function if you tune fast enough LOL! All in all with only 1 day of testing, it's a keeper. :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I use some Snarks for fiddle and banjo. They are OK. The thing that surprised me the most was the lithium battery life is not nearly as long as I expected. I use Energizers CR2032s.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

My Snark has the CR2032 which lasted about a year and is still going, but things are now getting dim. The TC has the same battery (but with a lot more lights), so it will be interesting to see if the battery lasts a year. I use the clip-ons every day so a year or more is a pretty good run... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Archived