Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sire Marcus Miller Bass

J. Dan

There have been other threads on this, but it's been long enough that I wonder if some of you could give a current review. I was very interested at the time and it seems prices have maybe gone up, but I've only heard good reviews.

this is the one I want.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of questions:

What is your dominant playing style? (finger, pick, slap,etc.)

Are you looking for a particular sound? (bright, upright, etc.)

Just to dial in the fit better.

Ooops! Sorry, saw recommendation when it said review. Please ignore.

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

My bass teacher picked up one of the earlier models. Played on it for a few bars, and it felt really comfortable and definitely felt more expensive than it was (think he paid EUR 299 or 399). It did feel very modern, which may or may not be a good thing - and is very subjective, I suppose.

Having said that, I have the Fender Marcus Miller and absolutely love it, too. The guy endorses good stuff! :)

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Yeah $699 puts it into a different bucket for me than when they were $499. My only basses now are an '81 Steinberger XL2 and a Michael Kelly AEB. I like the Fender Jazz but also like modern active pickups and easy playability. I have no 5-string. So I kind of thought something like this might check all the boxes and round out my collection. I'm no longer playing bass full time in a band, so it's hard to justify a purchase other than I want it. I just bought 2 guitars (a Takamine acoustic and a fender MIM HSS Strat) and am about to pull the trigger in a combo guitar amp. Considering I'm a keyboard player, I may be getting out of hand with the stringed instrument purchases, but I find that to be the biggest potential for growth and inspiration for me. In fact, I have about a half dozen keyboards I plan on selling to fund all of this.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• 1 month later...

San,

Was curious if you ever pulled the trigger on Sire Marcus Miller bass? Like you I am keyboard player who also plays bass and guitar. I have at various times thought about the Sire, but hard to justify when I have no real opportunity to use it in a band or project.

Bill

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 61, Casio PX-5S, Yamaha DXR 10 (2)), Neo Vent, Yamaha MG82cx mixer and too many stands to name.

Still haven't, but keeping my eye on it. Hard to justify right now since I don't have a regular bass project and I already own an electric and an acoustic. Plus I just bought 2 guitars.

I need to sell some keyboards. Maybe after I do that I'll splurge and pick one up.

Dan

Still haven't, but keeping my eye on it. Hard to justify right now since I don't have a regular bass project and I already own an electric and an acoustic. Plus I just bought 2 guitars.

I need to sell some keyboards. Maybe after I do that I'll splurge and pick one up.

i I hear you Dan. I am in the same situation in not having a bass project and cannot justify spending the money on something to noodle on. I have also been concerned about the thickness of the Sire neck as I have such small hands. There is a CIJ Geddy Lee Jazz in my local CL listings that flares some GAS in me, but again, no incentive to spend the green.

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 61, Casio PX-5S, Yamaha DXR 10 (2)), Neo Vent, Yamaha MG82cx mixer and too many stands to name.

• 4 weeks later...

Having just dodged the bullet and had an emergency quad heart bypass, I've bought myself a 'survival' bass - a Marcus Miller M7. Should be here today. More later.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!