Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Small electric heater, will 1500 watts be a problem?

I-missRichardTee

I have a few regular outdoor gigs in the evening in S Cal.

I should feel guility for succumbing to a small electric heater, right?

but even 60 degrees F gets to be a nuisance on a 4 hour gig.

Although one shorter gig can drop to high forties!

I only want a sense of warmth emanating from the heater, nothing major.

What is a safe wattage or voltage to use, that will not interfere with three amps? I am clueless abput electricity measurements.

I have used propane in the past, but why should I pay for my own comfort.. so electric all the way.

Thanks

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With a 110 volt AC power, you divide watts to get amps. 1500 watts / 110 volts gives about 13.6 amps. Most circuits in your house are wired for 15 amps. The decent quality outdoor extension cords I have include an instruction not to use them with more than 13 amps.

I don't know that you could even depend on a venue offering you a dedicated circuit (or even knowing if they had a dedicated circuit to offer for you to use).

A synth

two k 10's

and a beefy guitar amp is the load.

Is a small electric heater out of consideration?

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Maybe instead of trying to heat your surroundings, something like this might suit your needs better:

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/heated-gear

There are quite a few brands available, a friend of mine has one of the Milwaukee jackets and swears by it for working outside.

If I am not mistaken, you are the Chicago based Hammond organ clone person who knows quite a lot about Suzuki Hammond.

Nice to hear from you.

So an electric heater is not practical, even the smallest one?

I am in San Diego, not Chicago :wave:

Given your discomfort with technology/electricity, I would discourage you from using a device which will suck almost all the current from a standard circuit.

Layer up, wear heated gloves with the tips cut out, etc.

I provided the electric load.. can anyone suggest a tiny load draining heater?

A fender twin, 2 k10's and a keyboard.

This really is a thermodynamics problem. There is no free lunch. Less electrical load = less heat. There's no way around it. You might have better luck with one of those parabolic dish heaters so you're at least directing the heat in one direction, but still.

Or since you're going to be outdoors, you might go with a portable propane heater. That way you're not creating an additional electrical load.

But really, merino wool longjohns are your friend. They're thin. They keep you warm when it's cold, but don't get uncomfortable when it warms up a bit.

I just played in 45F weather the other day. YIKES it was COLD.

60 is no problem if you dress right. Heating the outdoors is not practical. Wear long johns, hat, wool socks, toque, undershirt. Listen to the Canadian on this one :)

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

You should be able to get a small fan-driven personal heater that consumes around 600W at Target or a similar store. Sure it won't throw as much heat as a 1500W but it is still the equivalent heat output of six 100W light bulbs.....better than nothing and should take some of the chill out of the air for you! Plus you'll still have 900W of power on a typical 15A circuit to power your instruments and amps.

If you're running that on one 15 amp circuit, you're kinda maxed out as it is. No real room for a heater without blowing a breaker. Is a second 15 amp circuit (not just a second outlet, has to be an actual second circuit) open and available for you to use? If so, that'll do the trick. But if you need to run an extension cord to get to it, make sure it's at least 14 guage. Only electrical solution, methinks.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

Maybe instead of trying to heat your surroundings, something like this might suit your needs better:

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/heated-gear

There are quite a few brands available, a friend of mine has one of the Milwaukee jackets and swears by it for working outside.

If I am not mistaken, you are the Chicago based Hammond organ clone person who knows quite a lot about Suzuki Hammond.

Nice to hear from you.

So an electric heater is not practical, even the smallest one?

I am in San Diego, not Chicago :wave:

I'm in Indy. If you will be outside in the open air, it will take an awful lot of heat to get the air around you to feel warm. Any breeze and that warm air is gone. It seems to me to be more practical to warm your core and have that warm your hands.

The only way to be safe with the type of heater you list is to be sure it can have its own circuit, and mentioned, that type of heater is very inefficient for outdoor use since most of the heat is being dissipated into the outside air and not making to you.

For outdoor personal heating, radiant heat is the way to go. Rather than heating the air around you, the infrared radiant energy hits your skin and warms you, this is why on a cool sunny day you can be hot in the sun and cold in the shade even though the air temperature is the same in both places. Get a small propane radiant heater pointed at you and you will not need to worry about power and will use the least amount of energy.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

For the price of those Milwaukee jackets (nice), I would get a nice medium weight high quality brand name jacket with zipper pockets, and at least two 7 or 8 oz. bottles of bourbon in the front pockets. That will do ya.

If that is out of the question, do what I did and buy 2 7 ? oz. bottles of Lavoris mouth wash, empty them into one larger container, and put the bourbon in them. Lavoris' old standard mouth wash is the same color as bourbon, and, if you get caught after chugging, act like it's the factory mouth wash and boldly spit it out. Say "damn anchovies' a few times, and.....Try again later.

Technically, the bourbon IS a mouth wash, if you use it to wash out your mouth.

http://helixdesign.com/images/holmes3.jpg

Look into parabolic heaters. They use half the power of a space heater for the same amount of heat - as long as you are directly in front of it anyway. Infared heat still works in breezy conditions as well.

They come in all sizes from 300 watts on up, and are widely available this time of the year.

FWIW as a DJ I've used a 700 watt fogger (which is the same general process with heat coils producing steam), and have yet to trip a breaker with everything but the subs plugged into the same circuit. I think you could go at least that high without issues.

....Wear long johns, hat, wool socks, toque, undershirt....

I would start with the warmer footwear. Your feet are extremities which are difficult to keep warm, and if your feet get cold, it tends to make one feel miserable and saps your energy.

And cover your head, that's where you lose most of your heat. Especially when you are bald like me. I've done plenty of gigs in below 60 degree temps, you just have to layer up a bit. Some under armor type leggings and shirt, then your dress slacks and gig shirt over top, a sport jacket and hat if you really need it.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

http://helixdesign.com/images/holmes3.jpg

Look into parabolic heaters. They use half the power of a space heater for the same amount of heat - as long as you are directly in front of it anyway. Infared heat still works in breezy conditions as well.

They come in all sizes from 300 watts on up, and are widely available this time of the year.

FWIW as a DJ I've used a 700 watt fogger (which is the same general process with heat coils producing steam), and have yet to trip a breaker with everything but the subs plugged into the same circuit. I think you could go at least that high without issues.

This. A thousand times this.

I have the Presto (Costco, $59) and have used it the past 5 winters for outdoor gigs. It concentrates the heat where you aim it, cools down fast, and uses less energy than other types.

http://costcocouple.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Presto-Heatdish-Parabolic-Heater-Costco-1-640x480.jpg

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Howz abouts a Portable Propane Heater

This one is a little nicer.

Say I skip the propane for the first 2 hours, then as it cools,I try propane.. how much money does propane cost over 2 hours?

I own 2 propane mini tanks for this purpose.. they worked fine and dandy ( an ancient tune Fine and Dandy ) .

But my thinking is, why spend on propane when I can use a minimum of THEIR electricity . I agree though, propane works well.

But it is coastal S California. There are vender provided obstacles to breeze, so a non issue. Before I go to gigs now ( so many darned gigs are OUTDOORS now, in contrast to a few decades ago ) I always check the temps for that location and at those evening hours.

Last night, sans heater, I was fine and it dipped to maybe 60.

I do not need to be all that much warmer, I am just anticipating

when temps might dip to 55 at 900pm.

You gents are always timely, quite helpful and often quite entertaining. Cheers

.. how much money does propane cost over 2 hours?

Depends on how many Btu/hr the heater uses and your local prices for propane.

Given the 1500W heater example, assuming a propane heater used the same amount of energy, and using current propane prices online per gallon, an equivalent propane usage would cost about 7 cents per hour, or 14 cents for 2 hours.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

.. how much money does propane cost over 2 hours?

Depends on how many Btu/hr the heater uses and your local prices for propane.

Given the 1500W heater example, assuming a propane heater used the same amount of energy, and using current propane prices online per gallon, an equivalent propane usage would cost about 7 cents per hour, or 14 cents for 2 hours.

Really! 14 cent? Now i feel not only mentally lazy, but cheap as well.

Thank you there Mr Scientist

My other outdoor gig is less hospitable, re cold air, breezes and lower temps. The bigger gas heaters provided to the audience, are of course, ( without question of a doubt- indubitably, inevitabily, naturally,) far too distant from the "bandstand" . Last week the trombone player walked over towards the crowd and the larger heater and raised his freezing trombone overhead to capture some of the heat of the big heater. Crowd loved it.

....Wear long johns, hat, wool socks, toque, undershirt....

I would start with the warmer footwear. Your feet are extremities which are difficult to keep warm, and if your feet get cold, it tends to make one feel miserable and saps your energy.

Yup, long johns are the best. :idea:

OT, of course if the temps really drop, you can do the huckle buck, and lo, in a few minutes yule be as good. as new

I worked in an office for years that had air conditioning blowing frigid air right over my desk all year 'round. I went out and got a 1500W ceramic heater which was plugged into the same circuit as the computers and task lighting with no problems. I placed it on the floor underneath the desk and it warmed up my feet, chair and everything as the heat rose.

This will work, Tee.

It would also help tremendously if you can skirt the front of your keys so the heat is only able to rise up from your side.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lasko-9-2-in-1500-Watt-Electric-Portable-Ceramic-Compact-Heater-754200/100669067

metallics-lasko-ceramic-heaters-754200-44_145.jpg

Here for the gear.

I worked in an office for years that had air conditioning blowing frigid air right over my desk all year 'round. I went out and got a 1500W ceramic heater which was plugged into the same circuit as the computers and task lighting with no problems. I placed it on the floor underneath the desk and it warmed up my feet, chair and everything as the heat rose.

This will work, Tee.

It would also help tremendously if you can skirt the front of your keys so the heat is only able to rise up from your side.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lasko-9-2-in-1500-Watt-Electric-Portable-Ceramic-Compact-Heater-754200/100669067

metallics-lasko-ceramic-heaters-754200-44_145.jpg

I am a bit slow on following what you mean about " you can skirt the front of your keys so the heat is only able to rise up from your side.".

You must mean trap the heated air, using the keyboard as the trap!

In that case, I would place the heater facing the rear of the keyboard, next to the sustain pedal... right?

In other words, the heat will come up from under the keyboard and stand!

What I mean is, skirt the stage front & sides of your keyboard stand with plywood (like a big-band front) or you could even put hard cases around your keyboard stand so the heat can be more concentrated on you as you're playing and not waste it going anywhere else.

Place the heater on the floor in the pedal area, and point the heater fan so it blows toward your feet, throne legs, etc. The heat warms your feet (half the battle) rises up under your keybed & throne and it should be enough to warm your hands on the keys.

Here for the gear.

Archived