Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any anecdotal history of the Keyboard Forum ?

Song80s

I am one of those codgers that thinks history is important.

Not so much the days of covered wagons, but history from 10/15/20 yrs ago.

I think some background on the forum has been touched on.

For those with excellent memory and fantastic file management, it might be fun to peruse some of the oldest discussion topics.

Just a guess it was about the gear coming out at the time plus Hammond/Rhodes/amplification/gigs, etc.

I recall at other forums there was some rivalry between Yamaha owners and Korg owners, etc, etc.

And most important, what was OT ???? What was funny about Seinfeld ? A current Sci Fi flick ?

And what about lady keyboard musicians ??? Did someone scare them away ?

We could use some balance around here. ;)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We could call the thread "Synths, Misogyny, and the GAS". :snax:

thats pretty good. Or.. " Gear mistakes I continue to make "

or " My rig/gig or my wife ( or GF) what would you Choose ? "

[70's Songwriter]

Any history of this place ought to start with Craig Anderton's Sound, Studio, and Stage forum that existed in the mid-1990s at AOL and the MusicPlayer Expert Forums that used to coexist with The Keyboard Corner here. This extended community was once a thriving group of forums with prestigious moderators and cross-pollination between forums that influenced the early development of The Keyboard Corner.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Also, if you want to see the oldest posts, scroll up to the top of the list of threads. Just above the top post (currently "Hall Of Fame/Shame Threads") on the right side is a page list. Click on the highest page link, and it'll take you to a list of threads from the year 2000. (However, threads that were created that year and later bumped won't appear on that page of posts as threads are sorted by the date of the last reply.)

Best,

Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

There were never a lot of women here, but we used to have a few regulars that posted frequently. Two of themValky and Lee Flierweren't even keyboard players; but as I said above, people used to hop from forum to forum at this site.

I used to search by newest posts, find a topic I wanted to participate in, and then jump to the forum where that topic was created. I mostly gravitated to this forum, SSS, and forums hosted by Roger Nichols and George Massenburg; but I might also post in the Bass Player's Low Down Lowdown forum if the topic was Gentle Giant.

Best,

Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Nord Lead

:rimshot:

that's it. Our entire history summed up in two words.

you have an exciting life, though. My life, most days its like warm coffee. Not complaining, some like warm coffee :)

[70's Songwriter]

There were never a lot of women here, but we used to have a few regulars that posted frequently. Two of themValky and Lee Flierweren't even keyboard players; but as I said above, people used to hop from forum to forum at this site.

I used to search by newest posts, find a topic I wanted to participate in, and then jump to the forum where that topic was created. I mostly gravitated to this forum, SSS, and forums hosted by Roger Nichols and George Massenburg; but I might also post in the Bass Player's Low Down Lowdown forum if the topic was Gentle Giant.

Best,

Geoff

Thats good info. I found ''starting trouble ' almost immediately. So a blistering attack by "Rod' on the congregation here. That was more than what I expected

If only we had a ' where are they now ' GPS stalking technology for some :)

[70's Songwriter]

Thats good info. I found ''starting trouble ' almost immediately. So a blistering attack by "Rod' on the congregation here. That was more than what I expected

That thread came about as a result of a contest to start the best flame war which got a bit out of hand.

Hey, we were young...and Joe started it, anyway... :idk:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

That thread came about as a result of a contest to start the best flame war which got a bit out of hand.

dB

I wrote that and it sounds really weird now - almost agressive when taken out of context (or maybe even in). I almost apologized to Dave when I re-read that a few years back.

Definitely more laid back now... and a several years wiser.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Any history of this place ought to start with Craig Anderton's Sound, Studio, and Stage forum that existed in the mid-1990s at AOL and the MusicPlayer Expert Forums that used to coexist with The Keyboard Corner here. This extended community was once a thriving group of forums with prestigious moderators and cross-pollination between forums that influenced the early development of The Keyboard Corner.

I miss those SSS days. It was one time in the internet that it really felt like a group of friends hanging out.

But damn.. that political forum spin-off got out of hand though...

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

dB

Joe has it tough, he needs someone to represent him ;)

I think its admirable to poke fun at ones self or profession.

[70's Songwriter]

dB

I wrote that and it sounds really weird now - almost agressive when taken out of context (or maybe even in). I almost apologized to Dave when I re-read that a few years back.

Definitely more laid back now... and a several years wiser.

Good on you, Rod. I had no idea it was a goof post. Very creative and a good spoof or exaggeration on keyboardists. I did not get the context , originally.

I suppose your don't wear the GPS tracker ? That was a fast reply ;)

[70's Songwriter]

I just want to know how the KLONK thing started.

I think I know

Some poster had too much to drink and Colonel Klink became Klonk

in his post

b8524da9fbc7bfbdfbbfa0b1f5f5d254_400x400.jpeg

[70's Songwriter]

I just want to know how the KLONK thing started.

You didn't spell it right.

There was a poster in Anderton's forum (named Arell Spencer if memory serves). He posted his own music all the time with links to click through to it. These used the phrase Click the Link...at first. Somehow morphed over time to Clonk the Lonk.

He thought he was being hip.

That's actually the story.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

If you want to get a feel for how Arell posted, follow the link below to a thread he started. (FYI, his screen name has since been changed to Barandine Vondenger.)

NINE TUNES A CHARTIN', Eight lonks aclonkin' seven swan a'swimmin'!Fiiive golden rang

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Also, if you want to see the oldest posts, scroll up to the top of the list of threads. Just above the top post (currently "Hall Of Fame/Shame Threads") on the right side is a page list. Click on the highest page link, and it'll take you to a list of threads from the year 2000. (However, threads that were created that year and later bumped won't appear on that page of posts as threads are sorted by the date of the last reply.)

Nice tip! You can also goto Archive.org and use https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/forums/18/ as a URL. It will give you "snapshots" of the forum homepage from 2007 & 2008.

Unfortunately you can't clonk thru to the thread, but reading the post topics is fun. This place is like an old school bowling alley (in a good way). The equipment and people change, but the vibe always stays the same. Maybe we should look into getting a ball polisher...

This is timely. My mailbox has never become full and just last week I went to my earliest PM's. Pretty cool, really.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

If you really want to know, you should Svengle it.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

In addition to the iconic Nord Lead references on this forum (I want to dig up the first instance of that and provide a clonk link, though Sven will probably beat me to it)...I would also like to see some commentary on the various personas that have shown up over the years like CYLON VOCODER, midijr, a few others. There have been some interesting characters and funny/annoying threads with them.

Archived