Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone using Bismark BS-16i for iPad

jeffincltnc

Has anybody purchased the Bismark BS-16i for iPad to use with sf2 sound fonts?

I came across some free sounds that seem worth checking out and some pretty large sample sizes that sound good for iPad in the demos.

I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with this on iPad as I've only purchased commercial apps as sounds so far.

https://sites.google.com/site/soundfonts4u/

Jeff

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm using the bs-16i for a Rhodes instrument I built by porting my favourite Kontakt instrument to sf2. I cut down the 20 velocity layers to 10 layers over every 3rd note to get it down to about 500MB. The bs-16i has no problems with this. The new update last week makes the reverb now usable (was very noisy). Overall plays well and much much better than Soundfont Pro, which doesn't recognise the velocity layers.

I'm currently working on a project to port the excellent SFZero open-source project to an iPad AudioUnits v3, as the one thing I miss in bs-16i is disk streaming. With SFZero I'd be able to run the Rhodes soundfont in all it's 20-layer 73-key glory. I have disk streaming implemented in an OSX AUv3, so hopefully will have something working on the Ipad within the next couple of weeks.

Ha! Sven - not the 8 bucks. The bigger risk is installing this on my iPad and mucking up everything else that my iPad is doing. I'm really enjoying my adventures in gigging with iPad sounds even though I'm just doing local jams and such while I get it down.

I was more interested in knowing if the setup and use was pretty straightforward, though. 8 bucks and free sound fonts are awesome. Spending a month getting it to work is not so awesome. lol.

Jeff

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I downloaded it, but I don't see where I select the MIDI channel in the app... i.e. I only want to triggger sounds on BS-16i from MIDI Channel 5. Is there a setting for this in the Bismark BS-16i app that I'm not seeing?

Hit that button again and you get eight more, 16-part multi-timbral.

I just did both IAP's for 128-note polyphony and enhanced sound engine...some sounds rival and perhaps even surpass iOS SampleTank for my tastes. Soooo tempted to use this for gigs. Think I'll go ahead and get a back-up set going and spring it on the guys at rehearsal.

It doesn't seem all that stable for live use so far... still need to noodle with it. I'm working with some very large 1G size Sound Font files right off the bat.

1G is a huge amount of RAM to use in an iPad. That's why I'm working on a SFZ player that can stream from disk. I used bs-16i for a 4-hour gig on the weekend running a 500MB SF2 and it was bombproof, running in parallel with Module running the Ivory Steinway and ForScore for charts. My best setup by far.

Archived