Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chick Corea Plays "Spain" Tutorial

John Tweed

Chick Corea Plays "Spain"

Follow the link from youtube and you can download three versions of Spain, with transcriptions.

On the main site http://chickcoreamusicworkshops.com/ there's a link to a one hour and a half free workshop with Chick and Stanley Clarke.

There's enough here to keep me busy for ages!

Legend Live, Leslie 251/147, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good video and cool to see some of his alternate changes. Especially that ii-V change on Em7 at 6:17...whoa !

I've been playing this tune since 1973 and yet there are sections (on the blowing) that sometimes I'm not as fluent on as I'd like. Especially if I haven't played it in awhile.

Roger Friedman/ lot2learn, who used to post here, did a video on the blowing changes years ago. It's good although he does it up a half step which is an easier key.

[video:youtube]

Also one by Doug McKenzie , who as posted here a few times too. In the original key of Bm/D. He writes out the lines and voicings and explains how/why they work over the specific changes. Great stuff.

It's always the key issue on Spain for me. You have to know how to connect G Maj.7 to F#7 b9 for starters. Different options for this part.

Em7 to A7 Alt. to Dmaj7 to Gmaj7 is a common movement but again not always played in that key.

The C#7 alt. to F#7 to Bm is another area that has to be picked apart and dealt with separate. And then going to the B7 alt. at the end of the chorus going back to the top. If you listen to the original solo, Chick plays some incredible lines on that part.

So yeah just pick it apart and practice it in sections like you would in learning any tune.

The transcription of Chick's performance is invaluable ! That's very cool and for free no less. Downloading now.

Loved playing chick tunes from Hymn of the 7th Galaxy era.

Hancock, McLaughlin, Chick and Weather Report were all cutting loose in NYC back then.

If time travel ever exists I would love to be in the Village back in the early 70s.

The PBS Interviews from each of these groups about the way McLaughlin freaked everybody out is priceless.

Think Im going to check out Light as a feather, Spains always been th3 go to chick tune.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Think Im going to check out Light as a feather, Spains always been th3 go to chick tune.

I just watched Chick's workshop series with Chick and Stanley Clark a week ago. Never knew until watching that video that Stanley wrote "Light As A Feather". Very cool story about it if any one has the time to watch the class.

:nopity:

Wow, how cool is this? Downloading now and thanks for posting.

I've had the Mckenzie one for a while and he has some really good stuff if anybody's not familiar with him. Most of his vids are done with Band in a Box.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Have watched parts a handful of times over the past 24 hours. It's incredible how easy Chick makes it sound. I just spent 30 min doing the same thing he did - soloing over the form solo piano. What a mushy nightmare. Chick's time is so strong and he can execute every idea he has.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I just watched Chick's workshop series with Chick and Stanley Clark a week ago. Never knew until watching that video that Stanley wrote "Light As A Feather". Very cool story about it if any one has the time to watch the class.

Flora and Airto were fighting the whole time.

Clarke says sometimes pressure adds to the creative process...

Ya gotta folks who always think positively..

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

One of my all time favorite tunes. Even after playing this I believe over 30 years, I still can get turned around on the changes in the middle section before the repeat. It's not even bars and easy to get off the track if not practiced.

And makes me feel better to see how even he is challenged to play the thorny coda head. He slows it way down and plays it out of tempo.

Hard tune but very musical, logical and just great.

http://chickcoreamusicworkshops.com/blog/chick-wrote-humpty-dumpty/

Archived