Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

3300 Leslie doesnt sound like my 122???

dboomer

Anyone out there running a B3 into a 3300 Leslie? The 3300 is so crisp that im getting way to much key click. Turning the treble knob all the way down gets it closer but its still too brite. Im not using any tube overdrive btw.

My 3300 has the newer Pyle HF driver and not the early ferro-fluid Suzuki driver.

Any suggestions please?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
your title is correct. The 3300 and 122 are different leslies. They are never going to sound the same. There are plenty of guys with more knowledge than me about how to make them sound closer. I know that swapping out the tube(s) with NOS makes people happy.
:nopity:

No it doesn't! Sorry but it won't ever. When you take that magnificent tube power amp out of the equation, no amount of fiddling with wimpy preamp tubes will make up for it.

Also, the original Jensen horn driver was special, although underpowered. Sweetest horn driver ever.

Moe

---

No different than running a guitar through a fender amp vs. running it through a Marshall. Different tone and different accentuations. Further the 122 is driven by a tube amp while the 3300 is driven by a solid state amp, another large reason for tonality differences. Pyle HF drivers are pretty bright; I'd look for a different driver that is a little warmer; it will get you closer but won't ever get you completely where you want to go.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Yep the 3300 is different. It's like comparing a Boogie Dual Recifier to A Fender Super Reverb. You swap tubes and connect a sub to the 3300 it still won't sound like a 122 but it will sure tear ass.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I have two 3300's connected to XK5's. I find that the sound is excellent for what I want. It is more brilliant than a 122. The frequency response seems flatter than a tube amp Leslie. As a result the high frequencies are not rolled off in a 3300. Of course, just like vinyl, many people prefer the warmer sound with substantial roll-off of the high frequencies.

Thomas Shea

Nebraska

I think the XKs probably match up well as there are a number of adjustments possible with them. But with a real B3 its a different story. Might be interesting to see what you would think with that XK plugged into a vintage 122.

I measured an additional octave of high frequency output on the 3300 compared to the 122.

Anyone out there running a B3 into a 3300 Leslie? The 3300 is so crisp that im getting way to much key click. Turning the treble knob all the way down gets it closer but its still too brite. Im not using any tube overdrive btw.

My 3300 has the newer Pyle HF driver and not the early ferro-fluid Suzuki driver.

Any suggestions please?

I'm running my C3 into a 3300W.

first, it will NEVER sound like a 147/122.

second, I DO NOT have the problem of too much keyclick!

on the contrary, I have to increase the treble knob!!!!!

you should get closer, changing the onboard preamp tube (use a ECC82 to obtain a warmer sound, but still not comparable to the natural saturation of a full tube amp).

to get the best 147/122-like sounding result, I totally turn OFF the 3300W tube pramp and use an external preamp (Speakeasy 122AMA or Tube Amp Manufactur Organ Drive or Lounsberry Tall & Fat).

but, still, the sound is different.

examples:

Speakeasy AMA:

Organ Drive:

Tall & Fat:

(listen to the first 60 seconds: C3 direct into 3300W: no brigthness - with 3300 treble knob increased to 70%)

I have a really close 145/147-sound with my Tornado Rotary cabinet, with all tube amp.

example:

(with HX3 expander)

:cheers:

Hey Marco, just wanted to let you know I, for one, really appreciate all the time you spend documenting your gear/signal chain and posting it on YouTube for all of us. You are a true asset to this community. :cheers:
:nopity:

Hey Marco, just wanted to let you know I, for one, really appreciate all the time you spend documenting your gear/signal chain and posting it on YouTube for all of us. You are a true asset to this community. :cheers:

thanks man!

as you can understand I'm NOT a musician, but I really LOVE this sound :laugh:

Hey KRK ... thanks for the info. How are you getting signal from your C3 into the 3300? Are you using a 611 kit or just pulling the audio from the G terminal (like the Trek piece)? Im wondering if the 611 kit has any filtering inside it??

So the part of the my sound that is most objectionable is the extended high frequency response compared to the 122. The part of the tone contributed by using a solid state vs tube amp isnt much if a concern for me. I spent the last ten years working for Line 6 so i understand a lot in that area and am no stranger to tube modeling.

Interesting that you have to boost the treble to get the tone you are looking for. I guess we could form a duo and wed just average it out :). Im wondering if you have a 3300 with the original Suzuki HF driver or the P audio driver as i imagine the P audio driver has a more extended HF response.

If your driver has a metal diaphragm, you have the wrong kind of driver in your Leslie. Get a driver with a phenolic diaphragm instead.

Your organ has nothing that you want amplified above 4-5K. None of the original speakers or Leslies reproduced anything above that either.

Moe

---

Hey KRK ... thanks for the info. How are you getting signal from your C3 into the 3300? Are you using a 611 kit or just pulling the audio from the G terminal (like the Trek piece)? Im wondering if the 611 kit has any filtering inside it??

ciao!

signal is going out from the C3 with a NORMAL MONO JACK.

(a technician made the output connection, so I'm not able to say how the signal is captured frome the generator, but I guess it's a very simple connection).

Interesting that you have to boost the treble to get the tone you are looking for. I guess we could form a duo and wed just average it out :)

:laugh::laugh::laugh::D:D:D:D

Im wondering if you have a 3300 with the original Suzuki HF driver or the P audio driver as i imagine the P audio driver has a more extended HF response.

good question. I'm not able to answer, as I should open the leslie :laugh:

this is the 3300W (the "wood one", I think it exists in Europe only), as it comes directly from HS Europe.

I can tell for sure that it sounds different from my previous 3300 "portable" (the black one).

more 145-oriented the 3300W (more medium frequencies), more 760-oriented the 3300P (more high frequencies).

yes, all amp and electronics are the same, but something different should be in the cabinet material (different wood?) and in driver too?

Put a 12AT7 in the 3300, preferably a NOS Tung Sol or RCA. Turn the TONE control on the Hammond down to dull the key-click. You could also turn down the horn a bit rather than use the 3300 EQ.

It won't sound like a 122. But that's okay.

Jim that is a great point. It is ok for things to sound different. To me the issue is more of whether something sounds good, rather than if it sounds identical to the original.

Thomas Shea

Nebraska

Archived