Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The realistic experience of a musician in Austin, Tx...

So I've researched Austin, Tx a fair amount this week and 9 out of 10 people say great things about the city. It looks like a great fit if I can earn enough $$$ to stay alive there.

I read a few articles saying a lot of clubs in Austin are goin' under and that musicians are lucky if they walk away with $10.00 from a gig. ?????

My question is: Is it realistic to expect a significant income from gigging in Austin? I play guitar, bass and I sing. I'm thinking my bass playing will be most in demand. How much money are musicians making there each month?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are *always* a lot of clubs going under, and it seems like another one pops up, usually in the same spot, in a few weeks.

Dunno about making a living as a musician, I'm not that good... being a bass player should help tho.

Drfuzz

"I'm just here to regulate the funkiness"

It's true about clubs going under all the time - especially the ones that attract college kids and the "people in black", you know, the gothy self-destructive types.

In Austin a lot depends on the kind of music you play - there are long-standing clubs and restaurants that feature blues, old fashioned country, new fashioned country, folk and acoustic, roots rock, jazz, mariachi, retro R&B, etc.

Electronic and dance - well, there are some, but it's generally not considered "Austin" type music, according to the image Austin has cultivated. Even tho' Francis Preve the writer for Keyboard who covers electronic and dance stuff lives here.

There are a good number of festivals - I'm sure you've heard of South by Southwest - also the Kerrville Folk Festival an hour's drive away that's been going forever.

All my buddies who gigged regularly have either moved on to other careers or moved away to Nashville or LA to find greener pastures. So I can't tell you the latest on what the musicians are making, but I hear all the time that too many venues are spoiled by kids willing to play for free for "exposure".

There are a ton of open-mic venues if you can live on tipping jar change. THere is also a Musician's Union, which may have some more specific info you need about real dollars.

On the other hand, I do know one guy who plays excellent Micheal Hedges-type acoustic guitar, who gigs at coffeehouses all the time, also gives lessons, and seems to be making it. Of course he's also single and I don't think 30 yet.

If you can get hold of the main Austin Newspaper, the Austin-American Statesman, the Thursday edition has a big "X-CELL-ENT" section that covers the music scene and lists all the venues for the upcoming weekend. There is also the Austin Chronicle - sort of a throwback to the old underground papers - that is free around town, very thick, and covers all the arts, especially the music scene, and just drips with alt-attitude.

My impression is that if you can find a niche, you can get by here for a while. But unless you can hook up with a big Austin name like Asleep At The Wheel or the Dixie Chicks or Jimmie Ray Vaughn, or someone who seems to be going somewhere, you might eventually end up peddling gear at Guitar Center to pay for the new baby.

Best to you! The Mexican food here is great, that I can assure you. But you do get tired of the heat since summer is still full blast until the end of September or so.

M Peasley

Good ruck making money in Austin, the glory day's have long-since past. Most of the clubs are becoming "Sports Bars". The only person I know in a band right now is lucky to get $20 a gig, when they can get gigs.

Having said all that, I've never been successful with any music ventures here, so I may not be the best to give you advice. There are lots of jobs for bass and drums in the Austin Chronicle, but the paying gigs are for C&W or cover bands.

The rest of the job market isn't that great either, but Austin is a really nice place to live, not too big - not to small. Theres also plenty to do for recreation. I could rent you a 1-bdrm apt for $510 a month if you don't have pets and don't smoke and have a job!

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

All I can say about Austin, from what I've heard...if you totally kick ass and blow everyone away in your town, then you'll be either average or sub-par in Austin. Not necessarily true, but it's very competitive.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Hey, I saw Eric Johnson come out of a music store over in my neighborhood about two weeks ago, carrying a Marshall top. I didn't pull over and say, "hey dude, you rock", he was driving a Mercedes, I was driving a Chevy truck, not that it matters, but he's in his world and I'm in mine.

I don't like being a failure as much as the next person, but things just didn't go my way here, I left Dallas to get the hell-out-of-hell and was only making enough money to barely live here for several years, more than I want to count.

The music scene has it's own "click" going-on and if you don't dig-it yer' screwed. I personally can't sit and listen to most of these bands more than a few songs and I start climbing the walls, thats just the way I'am, so you can imagine how difficult it would be for me to get a band going.

Stevie Ray Vaughn is still a big-time hero and the blues isn't as hip as it was maybe two years ago, but it's still a mainstay of a few clubs. I just don't get-out that much anymore and I now have a Texas A/C license, if you want to go to school here, there is plenty of that.

Good luck, moving here, or making any change, I suppose if the economy "picks-up" soon, I may go-out on my own and do A/C work, I sure ain't gonna pay the bills playing music here. :wave:

Thanks for the responses. Anyone know of website with musicians wanted ads in Austin? I've found a couple things, nothing great. Maybe somebody could mail one of them thar Thursday newspapers? :thu:

My plan is to establish a band and tour. Austin looks like a nice home base for putting musicians together. Tedster, it'd be great to have excellent musicians around. There were a lot of great players in LA. I find the trouble with that is that there aren't always great songs around, ya know? And if my songs, suck, well, I'm toast anyway. :D

I'm gonna head to Austin for a visit in the next few months. I like the looks of those loft apartments and the rent is about what I'm paying here. What's your place like pseudo?

What's your place like pseudo?
Lance, I'm an apartment manager in S. Austin just below the river. Right now we have 650 sq. ft. 1/1's @ $510 a month - $200 deposit.

You'd probably like the location here, it's just a few mile's to downtown and 6th st. There are also all the rehearsal studio's and music stores/guitar shops in this area. Also a few recording studio's too.

Like I was saying before, this isn't the easiest place to move-into, having a job is the best way to get an apartment, good references, etc. Let me know, if you plan to leap into it or just visit to check things-out. :wave:http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Apr/2004437952639019058604.jpg

Archived