Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

John McLaughlin and Jimmy Herring

jimkost2002

I would urge all my Keyboard Forum bretheren to catch this tour!

I heard a bit of a FB live post of Dance of Maya and it was killin!

It was the Combined Herring/McLaughlin Bands including 3 keyboard players!

(Jason Crosby doubling on Violin and Rhodes, Gary Husband channeling his inner Jan Hammer and Matt Slocum on B3 and Clav)

Johnny Mac played a custom double neck PRS.

While nothing can 100% evoke the white-hot, play like its your last time intensity of the original MO, THIS was a great tribute and a fitting close to Johnny Macs touring career.

Go see it or kick yourselves!

(Im going to NJPAC this Friday as I missed the NYC show last night)

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

only from touringdue to arthritis.

he will continue to record and play one off concerts

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Sorry, cant recall where I found info about embedding video, but here is the YT link.

this is great, thanks !

McLaughlin is 1 of my all time fav songwriters/guitarist.

Its cool he 'quoted' or performed some from Mahavishnu 1971.

In recent interviews, John was asked to perform Mahavishnu, and his answers were sort of opaque. Its great that he followed up.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Caught the show last night. Great sets by both bands, individually.

But when they all got together to cover the Mahavishnu classics (Meeting of the Spirits, Eternity's Breath, etc.) there was a tangible rise in the energy level of the audience. Man what a thrill to finally hear these tunes played in person live.

Agreed, GovernorSilver!

4th Dimension did Miles Beyond in their set at NJPAC. Unreal playing on that classic as well as thier entire set.

Gary Husband was ridiculous, a truly prodgious talent...

Etienne MBappe is a SICK player..... Im not a fan of shredder bassists, but he has the uncanny ability to support and groove without being obtrusive and his phenomenal technique is always dispensed with taste and style.

Ranjit Barot was a revelation. Ive not heard a native South Indian musician play traps with such a complete melding of Indian and Western Jazz traditions. His Konokol was mind blowing!

Jimmy Herring and his band were great, especially Jason Crosby, but not nearly as rich and mature as the 4th Dimension.

The combined bands playing from the Mahavishnu book went to a whole different level and it was truly amazing to get to hear these tunes played live!

Johnny Mac is a beautiful spirit and I am grateful that his retirement from active touring was preceeded by this beautiful tour!

I hope there is a CD/DVD release from these shows!

I am also grateful he will continue to record and play occasional concerts......

he is a shining example of what can be accomplished in music with application and gratitude....

Robert Bosch, 1919

Archived