Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another Roland Fantom X possibility

Song80s

Sorry for another similar topic.

I recall Escape Rocks had an excellent rundown and purchase last month.

I cannot dig it out of the search mess.

All these posters with their OT's !@@!$ So annoying ;)

Anyway, I bumped into an X7 at a ( chortle) at a garage sale.

To be fair, it was not sitting outside or in the garage. It was tucked away inside.

We started discussing music, and AHA. a musician , and we carried on etc.

Anyway, being a terrible haggler, I am trying for cheap.

I only had 1 minute to test it. ( more to follow)

What struck me was the LCD was not color- it was monochrome.

Puzzled by that.

Doing more research, etc. I don't recall any glaring defects with the X series.

Just the usual stuff with FX(minimal? ) and routing.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Display is definitely color. Monochrome is the Fantom S.

yeah, what zeph said. Make sure you're looking at an X and not an S.

Or, someone may have replaced a broken display with an incorrect one.

Lastly, depending on how you adjust the screen contrast knob, depending on your viewing angle, it can appear monochrome.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Sorry for another similar topic.

I recall Escape Rocks had an excellent rundown and purchase last month.

I cannot dig it out of the search mess.

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2885983/

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The Fantom Xa is a more affordable version and it has a monochrome display. It's much like the JUNO-G.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Thats what I thought, too.

It was definitely an X7. If I get time with it, I will mess with the contrast knob ( thanks, Escape Rocks !)

[70's Songwriter]

I have an X7 as well and the display is color. Great board although mine doesn't get much use any longer.
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

I have an X7 as well and the display is color. Great board although mine doesn't get much use any longer.

Thanks for the thumbs up. Minimalist here with only the Kronos 88.

Use to have lots of Roland ( RD pianos, modules) in my rig late 90's- thru 2011.

[70's Songwriter]

Lastly, depending on how you adjust the screen contrast knob, depending on your viewing angle, it can appear monochrome.

Its def the X. I am waiting for the owners to reply to my offer.

I vaguely recall you mentioned you like the Fantoms controller features.

Have you , by chance, have it connected to MS ? If so, I am interested in that experience

Thanks for the help

[70's Songwriter]

Have you , by chance, have it connected to MS ? If so, I am interested in that experience

Thanks for the help

Hey Greg,

I haven't fully incorporated it yet. I have tinkered with it a bit in MS and it works fine.

One issue: Roland stopped updating the Fantom X driver, and it does not work with OS X Sierra. As such, you need to hook it up via the MIDI in and outs. Doing that, everything works just fine.

You will not be able to use the Roland Editor/Librarian on a non-Intel Mac either.

I am using Chicken Systems Fantom Creator Program. Good stuff.

When it comes to "Control," I really like the Live Setting section on the Fantom where I can place my Programs for a gig. I can also add text for each Live Setting.

David

Thanks for the help

Hey Greg,

I haven't fully incorporated it yet. I have tinkered with it a bit in MS and it works fine.

One issue: Roland stopped updating the Fantom X driver, and it does not work with OS X Sierra. As such, you need to hook it up via the MIDI in and outs. Doing that, everything works just fine.

You will not be able to use the Roland Editor/Librarian on a non-Intel Mac either.

When it comes to "Control," I really like the Live Setting section on the Fantom where I can place my Programs for a gig. I can also add text for each Live Setting.

David, I appreciate the expert help. Naturally, I have a MBP with sierra.

I need to pick up an audio interface ( stein berg UR44), so that will be in between my Kronos and possibly the X7.

I gave a low offer on the X7, pending my checking it out for functioning perfect.

No reply yet.

It is a 2002 keyboard. It appears to have good longevity. I hope that Roland was still using quality components back then. I have always had perfect experience with all my roland gear in the past.

[70's Songwriter]

The Steinberg will be a good interface, especially since it has MIDI in and out on the back.

I've been testing my Fantom X with a UR22. No issues.

Be sure to let me know if/when you get it, and I can help with the things I learned in my first few days navigating around the system.

The owner's manual and sound list are free to download from Roland. If you haven't already, it's good reading.

David

Interesting, I didn't know about this, thanks for the tip. Since the Fantom's USB driver doesn't work in Sierra, how does this application communicate with it? Regular MIDI?

I still like to use my X7 at home, but many buttons are wonky, and the F2 is completely dead, which makes a lot of important operations impossible.

If I could somehow control the entire thing from the computer, that'd be great.

I gave a low offer on the X7, pending my checking it out for functioning perfect.

No reply yet.

It is a 2002 keyboard. It appears to have good longevity. I hope that Roland was still using quality components back then. I have always had perfect experience with all my roland gear in the past.

Are you sure? IIRC, The Fantom X was released in 2004. That combined with the monochrome display screams "Fantom S" to me.

As for quality components, it's pretty good except for the buttons. Those die, are expensive to replace (I did this two or three years ago, paid less than $30 for the parts and $250 for labor), and then they die again. Someone in the know those parts are no longer manufactured, too, which is gonna be a bigger problem down the road.

No reply yet.

Are you sure? IIRC, The Fantom X was released in 2004. That combined with the monochrome display screams "Fantom S" to me.

As for quality components, it's pretty good except for the buttons. Those die, are expensive to replace (I did this two or three years ago, paid less than $30 for the parts and $250 for labor), and then they die again. Someone in the know those parts are no longer manufactured, too, which is gonna be a bigger problem down the road.

you are right, 2004. Brain fart here on the year

I am sure its the X7. I still need to give it a thorough going over.

If any problems, I walk.

Working buttons are a big deal. When I had a Triton some of the buttons got flakey

after 6 years. I wonder if button failure is a result of poor contact ? And is poor button contact a result of age+ moisture/weather + regular use or over use ?

I am not into DIY or expensive repairs. Or a board that is crippled since I have

plans for the SEQ.

[70's Songwriter]

Interesting, I didn't know about this, thanks for the tip. Since the Fantom's USB driver doesn't work in Sierra, how does this application communicate with it? Regular MIDI?

I still like to use my X7 at home, but many buttons are wonky, and the F2 is completely dead, which makes a lot of important operations impossible.

If I could somehow control the entire thing from the computer, that'd be great.

Yes, I am using my MIDI interface to communicate.

I also have an old PC laptop I just found, and the Roland USB driver, Editor, and librarian work on it.

My Late 2013 Retina Macbook Pro can see the Fantom over USB, but without a good driver, that's as far as it goes. It will not show up in audio/midi setup. Some are saying that Yosemite was the last OS X that you could fool the Mac with.

David

Another detail- the standard RAM on the fantom X is small- 32 MB

It looks like PC100 ram is the way to go. I see sizes up to 512 MB . That

'should ' cover burning my Song files. Am I on the right track ?

I think the data storage or PCMCIA is another barrel of fun.

Just getting my ducks in a row here. Thanks

[70's Songwriter]

Working buttons are a big deal. When I had a Triton some of the buttons got flakey

after 6 years. I wonder if button failure is a result of poor contact ? And is poor button contact a result of age+ moisture/weather + regular use or over use ?

In the Roland's I've had the courage to work on myself, the hard plastic of the button wears a hole or causes a tear through a soft membrane on the circuit board. After that, the button will still sometimes work if you press it to the side, but bottom line is that it's not something you can fix with compressed air or contact cleaner.

That can be aggravating, but the biggest problem I had with my Fantom S was with the knobs, which can be totally devastating when they start to self edit. When they get really bad, they just start spewing out random values with no movement at all.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I would suggest going through a hardware check before even fielding an offer - including wiggling the knobs back and forth to see if they hold their values without turning them.

This is nothing against Roland. I love Roland gear. Personally I would do this with anything used - especially if it's over 10 years old.

e ?

In the Roland's I've had the courage to work on myself, the hard plastic of the button wears a hole or causes a tear through a soft membrane on the circuit board. After that, the button will still sometimes work if you press it to the side, but bottom line is that it's not something you can fix with compressed air or contact cleaner.

That can be aggravating, but the biggest problem I had with my Fantom S was with the knobs, which can be totally devastating when they start to self edit. When they get really bad, they just start spewing out random values with no movement at all.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I would suggest going through a hardware check before even fielding an offer - including wiggling the knobs back and forth to see if they hold their values without turning them.

This is nothing against Roland. I love Roland gear. Personally I would do this with anything used - especially if it's over 10 years old.

very clear explanation, Bill, thank you. Will keep my eyes wide open if I decide to take this keyboard on.

[70's Songwriter]

Another detail- the standard RAM on the fantom X is small- 32 MB

It looks like PC100 ram is the way to go. I see sizes up to 512 MB . That

'should ' cover burning my Song files. Am I on the right track ?

I think the data storage or PCMCIA is another barrel of fun.

Just getting my ducks in a row here. Thanks

yes, get the 512mb memory. It's an old weird size (number of pins). so get the right one.

For the memory card, I got a simple Compact Flash (PCMIA) to SD adapter. Inexpensive on Amazon.

I use 1gb SD cards The Fantom reads it just fine.

Keep in mind, the more samples you add, the longer the Fantom takes to boot up.

FYI I use a UPS with my rig, so if power goes out, I don't spend forever rebooting everything; laptop, keys, etc..

David

Some are saying that Yosemite was the last OS X that you could fool the Mac with.

IIRC, I had the USB driver working under El Cap, too.

Yup, this happened to me as well. Especially fun if it closes the cutoff; I had this happen on gigs and somehow it would be at system level, meaning a patch change wouldn't fix it. Only remedy would be to power off and on again. Usually, it was in the middle of a song.

For the memory card, I got a simple Compact Flash (PCMIA) to SD adapter. Inexpensive on Amazon.

I use 1gb SD cards The Fantom reads it just fine.

That's what I have as well. Works great.

Some are saying that Yosemite was the last OS X that you could fool the Mac with.

You are correct. El Cap worked. It's Sierra that broke it.

David

You are correct. El Cap worked. It's Sierra that broke it.

True interface crime. sierra also broke my Kronos USB/MBP audio.

But it motivated me to buy a 'real ' audio interface which I needed to do, anyway.

[70's Songwriter]

Having a DuH! experience

It sunk in that Roland returned to the W/s market with the FA06/08.

3 yrs ago.

I recall the 06 has no AT and the keybed is cheap. But as a W/s, it is a very good buy.

I see dozens of them on the bay- which is forcing the used price down.

I don't see much value in a stripped down, non updated X7 (from 2004) in comparison to the FA. Yes, I know key size is 1 major diff. But as a 2nd board, the FA-06 is attractive, IMO.

[70's Songwriter]

To me the best thing about the Fantom X is it is such a good master controller. They hit a sweet spot with keyboard quality, screen size, pads, and ease of setting up splits and layers mixing internal and external sounds. There was a time with mine was MIDIed to a Virus, VK8m, VSynth XT and Korg M3m. Truly the easiest master controller that I've used. Lots of fun letting people think all that sound was from a Roland ROMpler. :)

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Having a DuH! experience

3 yrs ago.

I recall the 06 has no AT and the keybed is cheap. But as a W/s, it is a very good buy.

I don't see much value in a stripped down, non updated X7 (from 2004) in comparison to the FA. Yes, I know key size is 1 major diff. But as a 2nd board, the FA-06 is attractive, IMO.

Yes as a second board played mostly from another board the FA06 would be great!

Again, no complaints about my FA08 other than it's Master capabilities. As I have mentioned before, I went with the X6 for a myriad of reasons, non of which had to do with th overall quality of the FA08.

Find a FA06, update the firmware to the the latest, go play on the Axial site and download some extra virtual cards to load (only 2), and you'd have a wonderful machine.

The X7 you're looking at still worries me, based on what you've said about it. Hence our other discussion about price negotiation.

David

Having a DuH! experience

3 yrs ago.

Yes as a second board played mostly from another board the FA06 would be great!

Again, no complaints about my FA08 other than it's Master capabilities. As I have mentioned before, I went with the X6 for a myriad of reasons, non of which had to do with th overall quality of the FA08.

Find a FA06, update the firmware to the the latest, go play on the Axial site and download some extra virtual cards to load (only 2), and you'd have a wonderful machine.

The X7 you're looking at still worries me, based on what you've said about it. Hence our other discussion about price negotiation.

We are on the same page. My main board is a Kronos 88. If I had a hankerin' for Roland sounds, FA06 is a grand slam, IMO, via midi.

Curious if AT is available if I midi my Kronos to the FA-06. I know, this might be a dumb question.

I am waiting for the X7 owners to address specific questions on updates and memory, etc, stuff that takes 1 minute to dope out. From my recording point of view, the X7 is not useful ( to me) if its never seen an upgrade.

[70's Songwriter]

I doubt Roland is going to update the USB driver at this point. The last official update was in 2012 for Mountain Lion (OSX 10.8) and it was just lucky it continued to work for as long as it did.

Since the Fantom X was discontinued in 2008, dropping support was inevitable at some point. Still, it sucks.

If you like the FA, there's also a 76-key version.

I doubt Roland is going to update the USB driver at this point. The last official update was in 2012 for Mountain Lion (OSX 10.8) and it was just lucky it continued to work for as long as it did.

Since the Fantom X was discontinued in 2008, dropping support was inevitable at some point. Still, it sucks.

If you like the FA, there's also a 76-key version.

I see a few FA07's on the bay. Prices seem to be holding up for that key size.

dozens of FA-06's. Which might be pushing the used price down.

Looking ahead, I do need current integration of any keyboard with my MBP/Cubase.

Time marches on for sure. Advancing tech is going to leave some things in the dust, unfortunately.

My regard for the ' new ' Roland has improved. It appears they are listening to buyers, Roland owners,etc.

[70's Songwriter]

Archived