Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland Discontinues Jupiter-80 and Jupiter-50

SpPiano

I'll admit the interface is certainly an odd duck....but that doesn't always have to be a bad thing. It's really not a workstation, so I get why maybe they were trying to distance themselves from that workflow. Thankfully there's always the Integra 7 if you want the sounds with a traditional workflow. For people that want it to be a Kronos - just buy a Kronos. Done.

I will say - I think the touch screen is critical. I can't imagine being effective on the JP50. The lack of a large screen is just cruel.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've managed without the JP80's touchscreen, though the decision was a toss-up back in 2012. Almost went with the '80, but liked the weight and streamlined package the '50 offered; so here I am with the JP50 six years later. Yeah, it is a bit of an odd duck; the interface is truly the poster child for 'What were they thinking ?!'. So many terrific functions and sounds under the hood, but so few ways to control it, not to mention other MIDI instruments.

Can't beat the sounds, though; SuperNatural is a monster for detailed and expressive playing. I'd considered jumping over to an FA-07, but the FA's synth action is far second-rate to the JP's. Plus there are sounds from the JP50/80 catalog that just aren't in the FA's. Now an Integra-based keyboard, with pro control features and all of the Integra and JP sounds ? That could pry me loose from the JP50.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Archived