Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland Discontinues Jupiter-80 and Jupiter-50

SpPiano

Matrix Synth - Roland Discontinues Jupiter-80 and Jupiter-50

What do you guys think is coming?

From the link:

"Not sure when this happened, but it appears the Roland Jupiter-80 and Jupiter-50 have been discontinued. Atomic Shadow wrote in to let me know he noticed that they were missing from Roland's current product line-up. I did a quick search, and sure enough I found the old pages with them listed as discontinued, as you can see in the images to the left. You can find the pages here: Jupiter-80 | Jupiter-50. It's worth noting the rackmount Integra-7 has not been discontinued.

The news makes me wonder what Roland might be introducing at NAMM this year. Roland isn't big on mkII models, so I would expect something relatively new to cover the space they left, if anything at all. It will be interesting to see what they follow up with."

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Jupiter is gone but the supernatural tech will probably be around for a while. I think the next thing will be ACB + SN in some kind of workstation. For a while you could pick up a JU80 used for $1800. I missed an ebay for $1600 BIN. I was thinking about picking one up for my wife, to replace her Fantom. Last week there were 3 on GCs used site. All gone now.

From the link:

"Not sure when this happened, but it appears the Roland Jupiter-80 and Jupiter-50 have been discontinued. Atomic Shadow wrote in to let me know he noticed that they were missing from Roland's current product line-up. I did a quick search, and sure enough I found the old pages with them listed as discontinued, as you can see in the images to the left. You can find the pages here: Jupiter-80 | Jupiter-50. It's worth noting the rackmount Integra-7 has not been discontinued.

The news makes me wonder what Roland might be introducing at NAMM this year. Roland isn't big on mkII models, so I would expect something relatively new to cover the space they left, if anything at all. It will be interesting to see what they follow up with."

or could it be, neither model was a good seller ? and they could not justify keeping a production line open for small #'s.

Seems to me, if it was a good mover, it would stay in production.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I think you need to draw a hard line between the old Roland and new (post management buyout May 2014). The new company seems better in tune with the marketplace, willing to try new things and not producing products just to fill a category. The new Jupiters were from the old company. Roland has traditionally done a good job of getting their high end products placed with top touring artists and it's still common to see Roland sliver on the big stage, but those products haven't connect as well with the masses. I don't think they'll bring out any flagship till they're confident it's going to sell well. It won't be just to fill a category.

Busch.

Nothing. I said quite a while ago the JP-80 would be Rolands last pro polysynth. They will withdraw from the professional synth market just like they withdrew from the professional workstation market when they discontinued the Fantom G.

The JP-80 was Kakehashi San's last synth.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I have had the JP50 for about six months now and while it sounds good, the UI is not the best. I suppose it's better on the JP80 with the touch display?

There are also sonic limitations (like not being able to assign MFX to the lower and solo part) that negatively affect usability.

I think Roland tried to reinvent the wheel with the Jupiter 80/50. They boldly dropped the workstation concept in favor of a more performance-oriented architecture, but the end result wasn't as easy-to-use as a real performance board, nor as versatile as a workstation.

I do hope they'll release a new flagship synth, one that offers the best of the Jupiters with the versatility and flexibility of the Fantoms.

But I wouldn't be surprised if they don't bother, and just focus on the mid-range and entry-level market. The high-end segment may just not be worth it anymore.

P.S.:

Roland did refresh the entire KC amplifier lineup about two weeks ago, for those interested ;)

http://www.gearjunkies.com/2017/10/roland-refreshes-the-kc-keyboard-amplifier-series/

What's a Roland flagship look like in 2018?

Based on the current FA or previous Fantom models?

Does it have synth engines or more focused on flash storage and Roland sample libraries?

http://weltenschule.de/TableHooters/picts/K-Mark.jpeg

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I hate to make predictions in writing but I'm with CEB. I doubt they're going to come up with anything we would drool over. It'll be more stuff for wannabe "Producers".

Just look at the Kurzweil website. The Artis background music is all about EDM, Dubstep, Drops and crap while the text overlay talks all about the great pianos, organs, strings and other traditional sounds. It's like they're totally conflicted. The musicians over there want to tout the sounds but they know they need to sell product so the actual soundtrack is anything but our standard workstation sounds.

I see all this as the continuing Great Decline Of Our Music. It's gradual but give it a few more years, there won't be anything left. It's like where do you hear 40's big band music any more or Elvis and Chuck Berry for that matter. Anyone here outside of Vegas doing 50's shows raise your hands...

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

If they are going to replace with a flagship synth in an era of affordable analogues... Maybe it's time they reissue the Jupiter-8 or grow a set and put out something like the Alesis Andromeda or DS Prophet 8.

But the fact they went to SE for the SE-02. I don't think Roland has any analogue talent in house any longer. If you look across their lines... Guitar fx, mixers, synths, digital pianos, etc. etc. It's all digital. I notice the JD-XA is down to $1799.99 right now.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Actually, the Jupiter-50 has been gone for a while now. I can't quite remember when they stopped production on it, but it has to be a least a year ago.

It never quite lived up to its expectations, and the lack of AT on a 2 thousand dollar synth did nothing to endear it to the players.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Actually, the Jupiter-50 has been gone for a while now. I can't quite remember when they stopped production on it, but it has to be a least a year ago.

It never quite lived up to its expectations, and the lack of AT on a 2 thousand dollar synth did nothing to endear it to the players.

..Joe

Still have my JP-50. It's quite a multi-purpose tool, despite the lack of AT and having minimal control features. I gigged it a lot, 2012 - 2015. Now its mostly a resource for recording, as it has an exhaustive number of SN sounds. I have considered selling the JP, and going with an Integra 7 to cover that; we'll see.

Tying this into the speculation of JP replacements, I suspect that Roland isn't quite done with using SN synthesis on a flagship, multi-purpose keyboard. Granted, the FA's cover a lot, but along with the VR series they're not exactly stellar MIDI/USB controllers. And though the RD-2000 does cover that extremely well, its sounds are still piano and electro-mechanical focused. While the lack of SN synths isn't a deal-breaker - as I've found the existing PCM synth engine to be workable, the lack of synth expansion through Axial has been frustrating. There are now three, 'vintage' RD piano expansion sets; and word from Roland US is that there's nothing synth-oriented expected.

So the RD is a focused stage piano/controller, the VRs cover organ, and the Boutique modules are specialized synths. The FA series is four years old, part of the pre-buyout design era (along with the JP series), and falls a little short in control detail and ease of user interface - compared to those of the old Fantom G and new RD-2000. So Roland just might have some competition in the works to the Kronos 2, Montage, and Forte. NAMM is just around the corner..

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I suspect that Roland isn't quite done with using SN synthesis on a flagship, multi-purpose keyboard.

Granted, the FA's cover a lot, but along with the VR series they're not exactly stellar MIDI/USB controllers. ........the lack of synth expansion through Axial has been frustrating.

There are now three, 'vintage' RD piano expansion sets; and word from Roland US is that there's nothing synth-oriented expected.

So Roland just might have some competition in the works to the Kronos 2, Montage, and Forte. NAMM is just around the corner..

I fully concur with all of this.

As you know I gigged with my FA08 for years. It was really good, in spite of its controller capabilities, even with the released too late firmware update. Still it served my needs quite well.

As you know, I stumbled upon a pristine Fantom X6 that came with the SRX-07 card in it. In the month that I have owned it, it really show me where the FA improved on a couple things, but is really a step back, as far as a "flagship" goes.

I have already used "Chicken Systems" Fantom creator to autosample some sounds from real live vintage keyboards.

As far as the Jupiter 80 goes, my very subjective opinion is it is the best feeling semi-weighted board I've played. I just couldn't swing the $$$ for one. Then life moves on, and I found my Fantom X.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

There are also sonic limitations (like not being able to assign MFX to the lower and solo part) that negatively affect usability.

I think Roland tried to reinvent the wheel with the Jupiter 80/50. They boldly dropped the workstation concept in favor of a more performance-oriented architecture, but the end result wasn't as easy-to-use as a real performance board, nor as versatile as a workstation.

What's funny is I feel the same way about the FA series - same MFX issues, and it lacks (or lacked initially) performance-oriented things. Sounds to me like the Jupiters were performers trying to be workstations/controllers and the FAs were workstations/controllers trying to be performers and neither of them do either quite well. Adequately, yes, but well, well..

I agree with another post - it's more the beatmaker/EDM/producer wannabe market (who all use VSTs so why bother...) so the devices are responding.

I guess Mainstage is killing them for live performers too, so, what do do to stay relevant (capitalize on the vintage craze and throw spaghetti at the wall maybe?).

I bought a used Jupiter-80 a couple of months ago, and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. I love this thing! I love the sound and action on it, and I love how simple it is to set up splits and layers, etc. It replaced a Fantom X7 in my live rig (I still have an X7 at home), and I find it much simpler to control from the S70XS I use as a master keyboard.

I had been interested in the Jupiter-80 since they first came out (was that 2011 or so?), but could never find one in a store . And it was just too much cash to spend without laying hands on it.

I guy was selling one on CL back in August at a great price. I really wasn't in a market to buy anything at the time, but couldn't resist at least taking a look at it. Man, I was hooked at first sight and touch! The guy's price was so low, I didn't even bother dickering, but then he threw in a padded gig bag (which I'll probably sell as I'll never use it) and a two-tier OnStage Z-stand...

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

Just out of curiosity, when where these models introduced or how long where they in production?

Is their lifespan typical, or longer or shorter than most products like them?

I think The JP80 was introduced in 2011, and the JP50 in 2012. Five or six years is a fairly long production run, I think.

But normally products are discontinued when successors are announced. The fact that Roland let these quietly disappear is a little concerning.

The fact that Roland let these quietly disappear is a little concerning.

+1 :(

The future is looking a bit bleak at the moment. Perhaps we'll be surprised with NAMM 2018.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I see all this as the continuing Great Decline Of Our Music. It's gradual but give it a few more years, there won't be anything left. It's like where do you hear 40's big band music any more or Elvis and Chuck Berry for that matter. Anyone here outside of Vegas doing 50's shows raise your hands...

Bob

On the other hand, the thriving interest in orchestral libraries over at VI-Control indicates that the traditional art of orchestral scoring is alive and well. Granted, most people who score using those libraries don't have to think about transpositions, clefs, and some of the other aspects of scoring; but they do have a strong education on the rest of the intricacies involved, and they're amassing a sizable amount of experience in scoring that was only available to a rare few before the advent of sampling.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

On the other hand, the thriving interest in orchestral libraries over at VI-Control indicates that the traditional art of orchestral scoring is alive and well.

Thanks for the link, Geoff. As this is something I want to start sinking my teeth in, there's some good material to check out. I also picked up a book on orchestration which has been a good starting point.

Going back to Roland, I was kind of impressed on the energy being put on the Boutiques. I never thought it would go farther than the initial 3, but we're up to to 9 I think.

I'm kind of excited where thinks are going. The resurgence of analog synths was unexpected to me.

Sure, a lot of people are into producing a track with an arpeggio and changing filter cut-off, but today I was a street nearby that has about 8 music stores, and most of the customers were looking for traditional instruments (digital pianos and acoustic guitars).

One of my nieces likes to play around with garageband and gadget, but is taking piano lessons as well (and doing well).

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

The FA series is four years old, part of the pre-buyout design era

but unlike the Jupiters, they are selling like hotcakes AFAIK. They are great for what they can do and at what price.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Archived