Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

High end Clavinova - newly developed key slapping sound

Strays Dave

I've had this Yamaha F01 for about 2 years. I chose this model from over the other digital piano options in the local large showroom outlet based on it sounding more realistic (to my ears) than the newer high end Yamaha DP's. I'm retired and spend hours at daily at this piano. I'll freely admit that I play forcefully at times.

A few days ago I noticed an intermittent slapping when I hit certain keys in the octave above middle C. It doesn't happen every time. More like in spurts. I expect it will get worse.

Any clues ? I read someone here talking about something similar on the CP4. This home Clavinova - an F01 - has had so much use that I'd expect other players might not have encountered this until 10 years old or more.

Thanks.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's likely plastic hitting plastic. Felt out of position, something like that. Are you in the US? Yamaha customer service will direct you to an authorized repair outfit. They will come to you and fix. Likely falls under a warranty repair. Your dealer can also assist as they should have all these connections and phone numbers and may even be certified to repair.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

It's likely plastic hitting plastic. Felt out of position, something like that. Are you in the US? Yamaha customer service will direct you to an authorized repair outfit. They will come to you and fix. Likely falls under a warranty repair. Your dealer can also assist as they should have all these connections and phone numbers and may even be certified to repair.

I just now talked to the guy at the Yamaha shop (a large showroom) where I bought the F01. He said it should have a 5 year warranty and gave me a name and phone# for the local tech. I'm in Orlando BTW.

Thanks.

For what it's worth, what you have is a Modus, not a Clavinova. Still a 5-year warranty, but a different product line, so you'd be better of referring to it by its proper model designation so Yamaha sends the right tech with the right parts. ;)

I thought so too. But on the back panel (visible from the front) in silver letters is "Clavinova". Maybe the F01 was from around the time when the Modus line was conceived. Whatever the case it is identified as a Clavinova. The "C" (in Clavinova) is about an inch tall - i.e. prominently displayed. I will go thru this with the tech - thanks.

I've had nothing but good experience so far with Yamaha pianos, digital or otherwise. Not that there are never problems, but that I call, have a tech come and it's fixable, often under warranty and even honouring warranty past date at times. Particularly on the pricier models. That hasn't always been true of their dealers, but calling Yamaha directly usually goes well.

:like:

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I thought so too. But on the back panel (visible from the front) in silver letters is "Clavinova".

I thought you said you bought this a couple of years ago? Was it a used item? The "Clavinova" version of the F01 was from 2007/2008... so well out of warranty.

Either way, they're well built products, and Yamaha will undoubtedly be able to sort you out. :2thu:

Probably NOS.... How does companies like Yamaha handle that. We have a local Mom and Pop store that still has things like a "brand new" Hammond XK-2 on the floor. They want something like $2500 for it. :D Same with the new Fantom G6 still on the floor.

Inventory should not be long term investments for a merchant.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I thought so too. But on the back panel (visible from the front) in silver letters is "Clavinova".

I thought you said you bought this a couple of years ago? Was it a used item? The "Clavinova" version of the F01 was from 2007/2008... so well out of warranty.

Either way, they're well built products, and Yamaha will undoubtedly be able to sort you out. :2thu:

I did indeed buy it 2 years ago. My understanding was that this product line was from 2007 or so. The fact that "Clavinova" is on it gives a clue to whether it was early or late in the product life cycle - at least me thinks. But I don't know. I do know that when I bought it, the guy spent about an hour showing me all the options going up to around $7-8K. I thought I'd be buying the CLP585 based on reading hype and reviews and such. But this F01 sounded more like an authentic piano to me than any other of the options. There was even an H01 (if I'm not mistaken) which I think was the current version of Modus. I liked the old F01. So that's what I bought.

Cool, they're great (if somewhat expensive) instruments... and they look fantastic, and take up very little space. :2thu:

Yeah. I have described it as like a Murphy bed. Until one gets over the novelty of its look, it seems like there is part of it built into the wall. But what puzzled me was that to my ears, the F01 had come so close to an authentic piano, why did the newer more expensive models sound less so ? Was it personal taste ? Imagination ? I'd come there fully prepared to prefer a different model.

Whatever huh ?

Archived