Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alas, Casio PX-5S, I Knew Ye Well

cphollis

The Grim Reaper has caught up with everyone's favorite budget stage piano, the Casio PX-5s.

Often discussed in these hallowed halls, a solid recommendation for anyone who want a great bang-for-the buck alternative.

Two predictions?

First, obviously, something newer and better is coming out.

Second, at the new $799 MAP there are extreme deals to be had if you call around.

I've played them a few times, and they totally don't suck. Of course, the used market just came down $200. Super duper deal depending on your situation.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can't wait to see what Casio does to refresh this tour de force of a budget stage piano/synth. They have very clearly defined feedback from their user community, and they've already released another product based on it with a touch screen interface in the 560. I really hope they knock it out of the park with the revision and that the price stays below $1499.99.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Use a PX-3S as a spare controller, never needed it.

But I do so many gigs where I just dont need Solaris or the Analog synths.

Just my 4U full of samplers and synths/Hammond clones.

Think Im going to have get this.

Give my Physis K4 a break.

Plus seeing the video I got to see the guy who actually helped me program my PX3S as a Master Controller.

Im just years late on showing thanks.

799 hard to beat.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

The Grim Reaper has caught up with everyone's favorite budget stage piano, the Casio PX-5s.
Are you saying it's being discontinued? I'm still saving my piggy bank pennies to buy one. But that would explain the price drop. :-(

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I got my PX-5S for $825 a couple of years ago by calling around so I'm not bothered about the price drop. I'm wondering why the price on the WK-7600 hasn't dropped after all these years. What I would like to see Casio come out with is a seriously professional version of the WK. I didn't really expect the PX to replace the WK but the WK's have much more versatile Organs than the PX and among many other WK sounds I prefer the WK Rhodes and Wurlitzer. The WK user interface is much easier for doing quick splits and layers. The sound editing parameters like Attack, Decay, Filter, etc. are immediately accessible by pushing the button labeled Synth. A WK with a decent 76-note key action and higher quality sounds would be the only Keyboard I would need for most gigs. A 76-note version of the XW-P1 would also be a huge improvement.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

That XW P1 needs to be 76 notes for sure.

Havent been paying attention to Casio.

This is a really cool performer.

Id run USB out into my K4 where I could combine additional controller features, then MIDI Out into an SE-02 since I dont need 88 notes for synths.

Audio into the regular converters, or 2 x TS Mic Pre ins to DSP Rack for better effects and Access to hardware effects..

Think Ill wait for NAMM 18 and see if Casio is still listening.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Alas, poor Casio! I knew him, Horatio: A keyboard of infinite discussion, of most excelllent value. He hath got me through a gig a thousand times. And now, how abhorred in my imagination it is!

My gorge rims at it. Here hung those keys that I have caressed. I know not how oft. Where be your APs now? Your EPs? Your organs? Your flashes of merriment, that were wont to set the audience on a roar? Not one now, to play your own outro? Quite bargain-binned?

Now get you to the Korg Grandstage, and tell her, let her flaunt her multiple sound engines and light-up multicoloured logo, to this favour she must come; make her laugh at that.

Hi,

Winter NAMM, on Mike's home turf, Casio PX7-S.

If I'm right, I'll post where to send the cheques to !!

Chris

Wait, what? Did I miss the PX-6S????

I love when people think they know product numbers of unannounced products.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

"I love when people think they know product numbers of unannounced products."

You mean like 'Swedish Fireballs" 1:03 in :

[video:youtube]

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Hey, I own an PX-5S and it's a great synth, but if I were looking for lightweight great sounding 88 weighted keyboard for a great price, I'd have to go with the Kurzweil SP6 right now. 27Lbs, $1300.00, KB3, far far better samples IMHO, true patch remain, mono mode and way better FX. I really hope Casio will release an updated PX5, but in my opinion I don't see much of a competition with the SP6 on it's way.

Hey, I own an PX-5S and it's a great synth, but if I were looking for lightweight great sounding 88 weighted keyboard for a great price, I'd have to go with the Kurzweil SP6 right now. 27Lbs, $1300.00, KB3, far far better samples IMHO, true patch remain, mono mode and way better FX. I really hope Casio will release an updated PX5, but in my opinion I don't see much of a competition with the SP6 on it's way.

Good points, and I'd lean SP6 myself from what I know, but the PX5S probably has the better action, it has the additional six sliders (but no expression pedal, and Kurz' 4-buttons are multi-function), and PX5S has more quick-button patch select (I kind of see the Stage Setting buttons giving you ten banks of 10 favorites, vs. one bank of 5 Favorites; though Kurz lets you store a total of 1024 "User Multis" vs the total of 100 "Stage Settings"). One thing that helps Kurz' limited one-button patch recall is that, for the 10 sound category buttons, you can set which sound comes up by default, a function I wish the PX5S had. Anyway, if and when there's a PX5S replacement, I think it will probably have touchscreen based patch selection.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The SP6 looks really good. It has many sounds that most manufacturers tend to overlook such as Hohner Pianet and RMI. Lots of Synths with Mono Mode. The Organs are certainly better than the PX5S including Vox and Farfisa emulations. No sliders for realtime drawbar control is a drawback. Still, there is a lot here especially at this price point. I think I would find a 76-key version preferable for stage use.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

I think I would find a 76-key version preferable for stage use.

SP6 vs Artis7 is a tough call.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Alas, poor Casio! I knew him, Horatio: A keyboard of infinite discussion, of most excelllent value. He hath got me through a gig a thousand times. And now, how abhorred in my imagination it is!

My gorge rims at it. Here hung those keys that I have caressed. I know not how oft. Where be your APs now? Your EPs? Your organs? Your flashes of merriment, that were wont to set the audience on a roar? Not one now, to play your own outro? Quite bargain-binned?

Now get you to the Korg Grandstage, and tell her, let her flaunt her multiple sound engines and light-up multicoloured logo, to this favour she must come; make her laugh at that.

Your arresting prose is a thing of alien beauty. Further evidence that keyboardists are uniquely cracked. :wacko::thu:

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

Hi Six-string-man and Joe BrokeIt,

I'm sure my guess will be wrong, but I just based it on the fact that there was a Casio PX5-S, and the model prior to that was the Casio PX3-S. Both have been quite successful, and I thought they may not want to lose the model numbering therefore PX followed by the number 7 (3,5,7) and ending with the S. PX7-S.

Sorry for my original post, no offence intended.

Chris

I'm sure my guess will be wrong, but I just based it on the fact that there was a Casio PX5-S, and the model prior to that was the Casio PX3-S. Both have been quite successful, and I thought they may not want to lose the model numbering therefore PX followed by the number 7 (3,5,7) and ending with the S. PX7-S.

Chris

No need to apologize, but you should know there's already a PX-7. :)

Well with my 80's project I have 2 Px5-s in play, one for the gig, one for rehearsals...The synth/controller/action capabilities have made them a centerpiece for my 80's rig/gig... they are not going anywhere soon...even if a replacement comes out I think.

I'd be more interested in upgrading my CP-50, MX-88 Yamaha stable of gear if a suitable Yamaha CP-4 upgrade occurs this year. Or possibly keep the CP-50 and replace the MX with a SP-6.

I prefer the Yamaha's for 'blowing gigs' for lack of a better term. Blues/Jazz and Casuals/Blues based R & R.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Chris

You didn't say anything that could cause offence. It's all good.

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Your arresting prose is a thing of alien beauty. Further evidence that keyboardists are uniquely cracked. :wacko::thu:

Thanks David, high and richly deserved praise which should be laid squarely at the feet of William Shakespeare. Inspired by Chuck's thread title, I blatantly and crudely co-opted Hamlet's musings about his departed childhood friend/jester to my own ends.

I will, however, plead guilty to the charge of being "cracked".

Hi DicemLabs.com,

Yes you are right, there has been a Casio PX7.

My guess is that if they do decide to call the PX5-S replacement PX7, then they will just add an S to denote it being a stage piano.

Chris

p.s. Just for the record, I have a PX5-S and it's a fantastic piece of kit. I was able to create my all time favourite E.Piano sound by tweaking another E.Piano sound somebody had uploaded to the Casio Forums.

The stock pianos are very good and very useable, plus the ability to tweak them is useful.

The Casio Forums is a great place for free PX5-S sounds that other members upload for the benefit of all.

Archived