Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Larry Young / Santana

mate stubb

I have a distinct memory of hearing a track one time with Larry Young playing organ (Yamaha organ maybe?) on a Santana track. Or maybe something Santana did with John McLaughlin.

I've never been able to track that down again. Faulty memory? Help a brother out...

Moe

---

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you remember the name of the song? I am a long-time Santana fan with most of the original albums so I might be able to search further with additional info. Tom Coster played on most of the earlier albums after Greg Rollie left, but Carlos Santana did frequently use other additional musicians during his 'eclectic' period, especially when there were guest tracks involved.

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

I have searched the Love Devotion Surrender album tracks online more than once because that is the only album I know with Larry on it, but haven't found the track that triggers that nagging vague memory.

It sounds like Hammond to me, but I somehow have it in my mind that the track credit was Yamaha. This is worse than an ear worm!

Moe

---

Moe, I am going to take a guess that you might be misremembering the details of the track "Flame Sky" from Santana's Welcome album. It featured McLaughlin, Richard Kermode on a Larry Young - like organ solo and Tom Coster on a Yamaha organ solo.

[video:youtube]

Moe, I am going to take a guess that you might be misremembering the details of the track "Flame Sky" from Santana's Welcome album. It featured McLaughlin, Richard Kermode on a Larry Young - like organ solo and Tom Coster on a Yamaha organ solo.

[video:youtube]

Close, but the track I remember was not as frantic. I should listen to the rest of this album, but it's such a wankfest I have to limit my exposure. I worshipped this stuff as a young 20 something filled with testosterone, but now I think John ruined Carlos for some years.

Moe

---

IMDB used to have a function where you could look up Actor-1 + Actor-2 and see what movies they had appeared in together. We need something like that, except for music.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Larry Young was not on any of the "Santana" albums.

Wrong !

Larry Young (under his Muslim name Khalid Yasin) piano, organ

Many reviewers praise organist Larry Young. Thom Jurek says Young is the gel that holds the two very different guitar players together;[14] Robert Palmer says "that the sensitive organ solos on Love Devotion Surrender were the best things on that album."[20]

LDS

Discogs ...(german) ...

The wiki says Jan Hammer played organ too, Discogs mentions Khalid Yasin on organ and Hammer on drums only.

This review says "Larry Young- organ" as also mentions Hammer on drums only.

So, I guess Larry Young plays all the organ parts incl. solos.

A.C.

Do you remember the name of the song? I am a long-time Santana fan with most of the original albums so I might be able to search further with additional info. Tom Coster played on most of the earlier albums after Greg Rollie left, but Carlos Santana did frequently use other additional musicians during his 'eclectic' period, especially when there were guest tracks involved.

Who played organ on that early Santana album with the lion on the cover? That was classic rock Hammond if ever there was.

I may be in the minority, but when Rolie left the band I missed his vocals as much as his keyboard playing. To me, his voice was part of the Santana "sound."

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

I may be in the minority, but when Rolie left the band I missed his vocals as much as his keyboard playing. To me, his voice was part of the Santana "sound."

No disrespect to Coster, Chester Thompson, Alan Pasqua, etc., but yeah, I feel the same way. I don't think the band was ever as interesting without a true lead singer like that. The closest was Supernatural but that was a different thing.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Larry Young was not on any of the "Santana" albums.

Wrong !

Larry Young (under his Muslim name Khalid Yasin) piano, organ

Many reviewers praise organist Larry Young. Thom Jurek says Young is the gel that holds the two very different guitar players together;[14] Robert Palmer says "that the sensitive organ solos on Love Devotion Surrender were the best things on that album."[20]

LDS

Discogs ...(german) ...

The wiki says Jan Hammer played organ too, Discogs mentions Khalid Yasin on organ and Hammer on drums only.

This review says "Larry Young- organ" as also mentions Hammer on drums only.

So, I guess Larry Young plays all the organ parts incl. solos.

A.C.

When I specifically mentioned "all of the 'Santana' albums", I meant those billed as "Santana".

Love, Devotion, Surrender was not a regular "Santana" Band album it was billed as "Carlos Santana / Mahavishnu John McLaughlin".

I'm less familiar with the non-"Santana" Band albums of Carlos', which is why I excluded them.

Apologies if I was unclear.

Thanks for the sleuthing! I did not know that Jan Hammer did percussion...

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

Apologies if I was unclear.

Don´t mind, I only replied because of the original question of OP (see line 2/ 1st post).

Thanks for the sleuthing!

a pleasure ... :cool:

I did not know that Jan Hammer did percussion...

Jan Hammer plays drums on many of his own records,- and on other´s recordings occasionally too.

P.ex. on Jeff Beck´s "Who´s Else",- track #9 "Even Odds", which is also his composition and all his keys as also the drums might have been recorded in his own studio then.

He also sampled his Ludwig drumkit into his Fairlight and used it on the Miami Vice stuff.

A.C.

Archived