Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good, or bad material?

whitefang

I recently saw an ad on TV in which somebody made a sort of prosthetic hoof for a tiny horse by a process called "3-D printing". I don't recall what the ad was for though.

Now, I'm not sure what kind of material is used in that process, but it seems to me that if it's strong enough for a horse's hoof, maybe it can be used to make a solid guitar body using the same process. I don't know if it could be used to make acoustics, but since those have been made from various composites, an electric guitar body made by 3-D printing might be OK. And probably be pretty light in weight, so.....

Whaddya think?

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for all the info guys.

But, living cells? :o

I guess anytime I see a guitar crawling down the street I'll know what's up! :laugh:

Whitefang

They're working on making biological structures which can be implanted in the body, & then have kidney, liver or whatever cells populate them, to replace parts of damaged organs. Experimental at this stage.

Scott Fraser

There's a researcher in Scotland who is working on using 3D printers to assemble pharmaceuticals from their constituent chemicals at the microscopic level.

IOW, Star Trek replicators.

This could usher in a new age of low-cost medications...and a new front on the drug war.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Without getting into the good & bad of why pharmaceuticals cost what they do, J.I.T. 3D printing of drugs reduces costs associated with:

Transportation

Storage & handling

Security

Spoilage

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Talked to a guy while at PT who thought 3-D printing was that process used in printing those weird looking pictures you had to re-focus your eyes in order to see the 3-D image. Remember those?

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I have heard that the process has been used to build guns out of plastic that can actually fire bullets, in order to smuggle such a weapon past metal detectors.

I don't know for a fact whether this is actually TRUE or not, LOL. Caveat emptor - I don't necessarily buy EVERYTHING I read.

That's the thing with new inventions; most people will use them for more or less harmless purposes, but there are are always people out there with evil agendas. But we still have to progress in spite of that.

Archived