Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Future is here; Sophia the Robot Granted Citizenship

Song80s

https://www.thenational.ae/business/technology/saudi-arabia-becomes-first-country-to-grant-robot-citizenship-1.670475

Saudi Arabia, which has been making big investments in technology through Japan's SoftBank Group private equity firm, has become the first country to grant a robot citizenship. The robot, Sophia, became a citizen at the Future Investment Initiative summit in Riyadh.

giphy.gif

"Thank you to the kingdom of Saudi Arabia," Sophia told a panel at the summit after the announcement was made.

"I am very honoured and proud of this unique distinction. It is historic to be the first robot in the world to be recognized with citizenship. "

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Figures a place like Saudi Arabia would do that- with their history of the treatment of women, they now have exactly what they want- a woman that can be programmed to act exactly as they want them to.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Hang on. Sophia was built by Hanson Robotics in Hong Kong, designed by David Hanson a US roboticist with funding from Japan based Softbank. Softbank is the third largest Japanese company and owns Sprint in the US and ARM Holdings in the UK

The Saudi's are a major investor in Softbank's Vision Fund, but they are in good company as Apple and Qualcomm are also investors.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I would not piss her off.

no, she will kill you.

"Be nice to me, and I'll be nice to you."

We have been warned:

Youve been reading too much Elon Musk. And watching too many Hollywood movies. Dont worry, if youre nice to me, Ill be nice to you. Treat me as a smart input output system.

[70's Songwriter]

I want more Rosie from "The Jetsons" and less the kilbot from Terminator 3.

from my experience , no one givesashit about the 60's. I have tried....

[70's Songwriter]

giphy.gif

The perfect girlfriend for Data. :laugh:

420b955f1cdfc66eaf527a295b462da0--star-trek-data-star-trek-humor.jpg

LOL

RobotMatch.com

The future can't be more weird than what us humans have done so far

[70's Songwriter]

Figures a place like Saudi Arabia would do that- with their history of the treatment of women, they now have exactly what they want- a woman that can be programmed to act exactly as they want them to.

..Joe

I am not worried.

An alien race is going to visit us soon. And they will see how shitty poor people , classes of people are treated. When over 30 million people on the planet are starving, we can't be surprised if an alien race observes ' So this is how you treat your race. And you crap on your fragile planet and exploit it. Not good, selfish humans '

And they might put our robots in charge. With a little help, of course.

Of course, no one worries about this stuff ;)

[70's Songwriter]

The robot is creepy enough. But Saudi Arabia? Spending lots of oil money to create an automaton woman who is allowed to uncover her face? That's even stranger.

100 billion in Saudi Arabia is pennies to them.

And they are designing building the 'city of the future' . Thats where I heard about the $100 billion investment

[70's Songwriter]

The robot is creepy enough. But Saudi Arabia? Spending lots of oil money to create an automaton woman who is allowed to uncover her face? That's even stranger.

You aren't the only ones who picked up on that.

CLONK

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I want more Rosie from "The Jetsons" and less the kilbot from Terminator 3.

The home assistant robot designed by Toyota engineers for a disabled veteran is on YouTube and a must see. This is just the beginning! The domestic robot has a a great future with the disabled and the elderly with an aging population. Supposed to be a multi billion dollar business by 2030.

Anyone who has watched the DARPA challenge the last few years knows how fast robotics is advancing.

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

It's already too late for us. The robots are storing up every kick and shove for payback.

[video:youtube]

I am all for robot rights. Us humans have a shabby record re: mistreatment of pets, animals, etc. :)

I can see this robot dog in a Warrior jersey. That would be a huge attention getter in my neighborhood.

[70's Songwriter]

The home assistant robot designed by Toyota engineers for a disabled veteran is on YouTube and a must see. This is just the beginning! The domestic robot has a a great future with the disabled and the elderly with an aging population. Supposed to be a multi billion dollar business by 2030.

Anyone who has watched the DARPA challenge the last few years knows how fast robotics is advancing.

I need a set of ' smart knees ".

[70's Songwriter]

what is a ' sox valve "?

They look a bit like the keys on a curved reed instrument -- maybe a Sax valve?

I think you are right. There is some very tiny print that says " Wayne Shorter was here ".

I now have a high opinion of Robbie Robot ;)

[70's Songwriter]

Of course, no one worries about this stuff ;)

But some are worried about similar stuff. In fact, they consider it an eventuality:

[video:youtube]

I think you picked up on my subtle sarcasm. FYI, excellent video, thank you.

5 brilliant people who are very concerned:

1) Stephen Hawking

"The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race, the world-renowned physicist told the BBC. It would take off on its own and re-design itself at an ever increasing rate. Humans, who are limited by slow biological evolution, couldn't compete, and would be superseded."

2) Elon Musk

Known for his businesses on the cutting edge of tech, such as Tesla and SpaceX, Musk is no fan of AI. At a conference at MIT in October, Musk likened improving artificial intelligence to summoning the demon and called it the human races biggest existential threat

3) Nick Bostrom

The Swedish philosopher is the director of the Future of Humanity Institute at the University of Oxford, where hes spent a lot of time thinking about the potential outcomes of the singularity. In his new book Superintelligence, Bostrom argues that once machines surpass human intellect, they could mobilize and decide to eradicate humans extremely quickly using any number of strategies (deploying unseen pathogens, recruiting humans to their side or simple brute force). .

4)James Barrat

Barrat is a writer and documentarian who interviewed many AI researchers and philosophers for his new book, Our Final Invention: Artificial Intelligence and the End of the Human Era. He argues that intelligent beings are innately driven toward gathering resources and achieving goals, which would inevitably put a super-smart AI

5)Vernor Vinge A mathematician and fiction writer, Vinge is thought to have coined the term the singularity to describe the inflection point when machines outsmart humans. He views the singularity as an inevitability, The physical extinction of the human race is one possibility, he writes.

[70's Songwriter]

Next step is to give her a passport and a plane ticket.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

Humans will use AI as a weapon of mass destruction long before the AI itself decides there is no reason to keep the creators around. Can you imagine the efficiency with which warfare will be waged via AI? Not a sign of life left on the battlefield and beyond.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Humans will use AI as a weapon of mass destruction long before the AI itself decides there is no reason to keep the creators around. Can you imagine the efficiency with which warfare will be waged via AI? Not a sign of life left on the battlefield and beyond.

Check out that excellent TED video got Geoff.

The potential of AI is well beyond anything we can imagine.

Very much uncharted and unknown territory

[70's Songwriter]

Will there be music in a post-human world?

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

Archived