Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 XL??

Anyone here have any experience with it?

I am used to Pro Audio 9, but it looks like they don't make it anymore.

I need a recording/editing program at work, and we don't have the $$ to spend on Sonar, so I was checking out their other products. Home Studio looks like it should suffice, but I was wondering if any of you knowledgable folks had any input.

Thanks!!

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From reviews and other comments it appears to be a no-frills version of Sonar.Unlike Pro Audio 9 however,home Studio will need up to date hardware(an audio card with proper WDM and or ASIO drivers,no Soundblasters) and an up to date OS like Win 2K SP4 or Win XP.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

I worked with HomeStudio XL before I moved up to Sonar. That was in 2002 so I'm not completely sure how that version holds up to 2004. It was very much like Sonar but watered down some. You could only run 16 or so effects at once, only use one set of outputs from one sound card. I believe at that time you was limited to 16 bit. The stock effects that came with homestudio were'nt as good as the stock ones that come with sonar. That kinda stuff. It was challenging enough to meet my needs for a year or so and a couple dozen projects. Then I upgraded to Sonar2.2

HS2004... two years later might not have as many limitations.

Heres a comparison chart to Sonar2.2 on the cakewalk site: http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/HomeStudio/ComparisonSR.asp

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnersongs

Sometimes the truth is rude...

tough shit... get used to it.

Thanks for the replies.

I really don't need it to do much, just some recording and editing (maybe a little reverb or something), and then be able to mix it down to a wave file (so I can burn a CD to use during the show - primarily sound effects).

I work at a school for the deaf and hard-of-hearing, so if the effects aren't quite as good, I don't think anyone is going to mind too much, as long as they are passable.

Thanks again!

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

i have both home studio and sonar

sonar has more soft synths and plugins,other than that they are both good for 24 bit mixdown

i would bet that if you mixed keith richards through one or the other you wouldnt be able to tell the difference

Archived