Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Old Folks Boogie

cedar

Just wondering if anyone has a decent transcription of Little Feat's "Old Folks Boogie." I agreed to prepare a chart for a rehearsal (not with horns, just basic rhythm section). I then realized I had less time than I thought before the rehearsal so purchased the $5 sheet music from Musicnotes. But now that I'm listening and reading the sheet music simultaneously, I think it's lacking.

All I am looking for is something that precisely tracks the bass and rhythmic hits. (We may add horns later, but that is far down the road). I'm prepared to transcribe it myself, if needed, but just thought I'd see if anyone here had already done this, so I can save some time.

Thanks,

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Played in a Little Feat cover band 20+ years ago and we covered that song. Back in the day you had a record to listen to and perhaps some sheet music (hard bound). Today you have videos on you tube (some with visual instructions), downloadable sheet music, ultimate guitar, chordie and other sites to help you out. Not perfect but close enough.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Played in a Little Feat cover band 20+ years ago and we covered that song. Back in the day you had a record to listen to and perhaps some sheet music (hard bound). Today you have videos on you tube (some with visual instructions), downloadable sheet music, ultimate guitar, chordie and other sites to help you out. Not perfect but close enough.

Plus you can slow You Tube down in the original key. In the olden days, we just had to make do with the record.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

All I am looking for is something that precisely tracks the bass and rhythmic hits.
More power to you if you can capture those rhythmic hits in a sheet music transcription. I wouldn't be able to read them anyway. If your bass and drums can read that accurately, I'm impressed. I would have to use the time-tested method of playing along to the recording over and over until I got the entire groove locked in and could turn off my mind and just play.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I agree that feel is more important ultimately. But this is a new group playing this tune for the first time. Im not even sure how well the players read. But I want to give plenty of information, just in case.

And now that Im working on it, I think this tune in particular relies on a good sense of the hits.

But this is a new group playing this tune for the first time.
If that's the case, they need to do their homework and listen to the recording a bunch of times.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

They do need to do their homework. I could have just let everyone listen, have them figure out how to approach it on their own and then see what happened. But the more I listened to the tune, the more I realized I cared about making the various rhythmic hits sound pretty close to the original. Frankly, if I knew these guys better and trusted them, I might not be bothering with this chart.

Hopefully, once everyone reads through what I've done and gets comfortable with the feel, we can then chuck the chart and make it more organic.

I think it starts with the bass player and drummer. I had a band once that played a lot of original rock, and the bass player and drummer delighted in putting hits together.

Once the rhythm section is doing it, it's easy for the rest of the band to fall in.

Moe

---

Archived