Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best (for my needs) 37 or 49 key controller.

Phil Aiken

I am looking for a small controller to use with my Roland SE-02. I want it to be short enough to fit on my Wurly 140b, with the Roland (which is tiny) behind it and and an E Touche expression controller next to it. So 61 keys is too long.

I want something that is not deep from front to back, do not need sliders or buttons, but want the best feeling keyboard with fairly accurate velocity and aftertouch.

Nothing excited me in Guitar Center. Any good recommendations? I noticed a Roland while on line window shopping that would seem to check the boxes.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you willing to consider minikeys?

If yes, I'll recommend the 49-key Midiplus X4

Thanks, I actually have an Arturia Keystep - need full size for this application.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

2nd hand E-Mu XBoard 49

Batteries lasts for days... but you can pick up a DC splitter and a polarity inverter and run them both off of the same Roland power supply.

Great weighted synth action, aftertouch, and easily programmable.

e-mu-xboard-49-215538.jpg

412I9VzGd9L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

31zFosUdxVL._AC_US218_.jpg

That seems like it would do the trick. Thanks!

Maybe an old Roland PC200? 49 full sized keys, fairly decent velocity control, with a single slider (default to volume but can send any CC) and a combo pitch/mod stick.

Thanks, will take a look.

Thanks, I actually have an Arturia Keystep - need full size for this application

Same here. Keystep and Xboard are my SE-02 controllers of choice. Touche is quite intriguing.

It (The Touche) shipped yesterday, should have it near the end of the week. I think a decent small controller, the SE-02, and Touche would not only be a credible little solo voice, but potentially an excellent and highly expressive one. I bought the little Roland boutique keyboard/dock , and it seems convenient for noodling on the couch and making sequences, but otherwise not very useful.

I am looking for a small controller...short enough to fit on my Wurly 140b, with the Roland (which is tiny) behind it and and an E Touche expression controller next to it.

Actual max dimensions would help, but a small 49 with aftertouch and nice feeing keys would be the Samson Graphite 49.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Have not measured, but the Wurly 140b is just under 40 inches long, Most 49's are good sized. Would be nice to not take up too much room from font to back, but not a deal breaker if head and shoulders better as far as keyed. Will check out the Samson as well. Thanks!!!

Archived