Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Why keyboard players are perceived as dorks.

mate stubb

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a large part of it is that we often don't stand and their is something sitting in front of us blocking us! And That's it! Location Location Location! That and a the generalized 'Idiocracy' of the world nowadays . . .

what about this:

http://egotvonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/5042a5-96.jpg

Or This:

http://www.angryasianman.com/images/angry/hjfreaks.jpg

OR THIS!!!

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k76/rolltider17/Eagles/Joe%20Walsh/afbbc49a.jpg

http://www.spitenet.com/bass/gallery/bass/images/frankenstein1024.jpg

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

The girls in the video sure seemed to like him. Although I question if he's really a keyboard player watching his hands and listening to the music.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I thought this guy was a parody act, since he went with "rock and roll keyboardist," and I continued to think he was a parody act throughout his performance, but he seemed to be for real. And is thus one more chapter in the Keyboard Book of Shame.

[video:youtube]

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Some of the comments on the first video crack me up!

Without a doubt this is the best disco instrumental from Denmark about a Native American tribe

Music video budget was 1000$

They've spent 990$ on LSD

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

One of my favourites, that is Tommy Seebach who was a big name in Denmark. I really like the tent which reminds me of my own tent from being a kid.....not sure I remember those kinds of indians though.

Read more here

Tommy Seebach

I'm not sure we will ever recover from this. You MUST last until at least :40 in.

I'm not sure we will ever recover from this. You MUST last until at least :40 in.

Starts out a little slow.

If things didn't go well....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-o5BsdQuK7VI/TZ_EzHgCurI/AAAAAAAACUs/LWuXyRRHF3Q/s1600/kfc+bucket+of+chicken.gif

Dan

Wait, sorry. Read the topic wrong.

7b5f93b3b525ea071e694db64a4457e0.jpg

hard to be optimistic unless you play keys in Yes

otherwise, it might be better to keep a low profile to help not feed the ( very wrongful and litigious) dorkology stigma ;)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

It's a main reason I like Derek Sherinian and guys like Trent Reznor.

Guys look like a bass player, or a drummer. Complete with the soul patch and the rock and roll black t-shirt. About damn time.

As much as I like Nick Rhodes and Greg Hawkes and Steve Porcaro and Bernie Worrell and Bob Casale and Vince Welnick and Seth Justman and David Bryan and Dr. Fink and Rainbow-era Don Airey and Paul Shaffer and Wix Wickens and Charlie Giordano and Roger Powell and Steve Nieve and Jan Hammer and Ray Manzarek and Moby and Howard Jones and Thomas Dolby and....god, this list got long.....they have an image (to the non-keyboard playing audience) of:

1) 98-pound-weakling geeky guys

2) electronic misfit "synth wizards" with not a rock and roll tough bone in their body

3) The guy in the band that doesn't get laid and still lives in Mom's basement

I like them all, and love some of them actually, but not many keyboardists have Jimmy Page cool or Steven Tyler swagger. Rock and roll and keyboards have a tendency to often be on the outside looking in, or be the geeky mousy guy in the band. True. Sad, but true. (see above list, and I know I'm missing some.)

And that Flock of Seagulls guy didn't help.

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

'

1) 98-pound-weakling geeky guys

2) electronic misfit "synth wizards" with not a rock and roll tough bone in their body

3) The guy in the band that doesn't get laid and still lives in Mom's basement

I

And that Flock of Seagulls guy didn't help.

wow, you really busted a bunch of keyboard players.

I am glad i switched to banjo. I have none of the problems in your keyboard dork list

;)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

OK, finally watched some of this, got way past 40 seconds. :laugh:

Really liked what came out of the tent. :2thu:

Worst air keyboards ever? :idk

All this being said, if you guys think we are a bunch of dorks, you need to come with me to an Audio Engineers Society meeting. You will leave believing you are as cool as James Dean. :cool::D

:nopity:

Praise The Far Side.

I've always played solo or politely required a solo moment in the proceedings where I produced something shred-like that pretty well blew away any notions of dorkdom. Flanged barrelhouse piano, a huge finger-drumming solo, a roaring orchestral rouser or a bit of all three have proven to be good candidates. Many of you probably remember the music lesson ad that stated "They laughed when I sat down. THEN I started to play..." There's the pivot point. If you're being seen as a 'keyboard dork,' either your detractors are irrelevant arseholes or you need to woodshed more. :poke:

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

I've always had scrawny weakling arms, and so I play with all the authority / aggression I can muster.

In the 1970s, my bandmates complained that I "played keyboard like a guitar," i.e., with aggression and rhythm. They wanted block chords while the others had fun.

I decided that playing keys like a guitar -- energy, volume, lots of leads, even covering the geetar part better than the guitarist -- was a great idea. So I learned to pay attention to how ELP made stuff work.

Sometimes the guitar thing is done literally. I can spend weeks programming guitar voices with imitations of pickup wiring switches, 10" open-back speaker simulators, and fretted pitch bends. Then I spend more weeks honing my ability to play idiomatically.

One of my best ego boosts was when a Gen-X guy at church told me that for the first time in his life he respected the Keytar (Roland AX-Synth) as a serious musical instrument. I was covering bass at the time.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Archived