Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tiny mixer recommendation

BluMunk

I'm looking for a 2-channel max mixer splitter, with two separately controlled output busses that is small enough to sit on top of the battery compartment of my PX-5s.

Does such a thing exist?

Basically, I'm looking for a super-convenient way to have separate volume controls for signal to my monitors as well as signal to FOH. In this application, I will only ever have 2 sound sources at the most.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You won't be able to get separate output mixes with that. Also being passive, it will attenuate your signal unless all of the knobs are all the way up.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Could you split each of your channels into a "to-FOH" and "to-monitor" version, each carrying an identical signal? Then you could use that ART mixer that BluMunk posted, with two knobs for FOH and two more for monitor?

Cheers, Mike.

That's more or less what I do. If you don't need to submix what goes to FOH this is the best solution. I do this with my keyboard and guitar. I go into a Radial dual channel DI, which sends the signals to FOH using my Kronos and Pod volumes which are set at sound check. I loop the 2 channels out of the DI into this:

61UobSyP-bL._SY355_.jpg

Which then feeds channel 2 of my K10. My microphone goes through Ch 1 of the K10 and then out to FOH.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Love the Key Largo. For a piece of equipment I barely touch, its probably one of the most useful things in my rig

Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage 3

K&M Spider Pro | JH Audio JH5 IEMs | Behringer XR18 | Radial Keylargo

None of these suggestions provide 2 separate mixes, except the Key Largo if you use the effects send as one of the mix outs (monitor out will be same mix as main out)

Dan

Rolls mx28. Three channel mixer but it is tiny. Has a master output and a headphone output which can be used like a monitor out.

link

I have a few Rolls Mixers.

Bought the 1U for a drum submix as inserts are vital for comps/Gates.

Liked its quality so I bought a 4 x 2 Pedal w/ 9volt. Transparent, no colorization.

Another 2 x 4.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Rolls mx28. Three channel mixer but it is tiny. Has a master output and a headphone output which can be used like a monitor out.

link

This is exactly what I use for the same purpose...

- 1/4" stereo outs on back go to a Radial Stereo DI to FOH

- 1/4" stereo headphone jack with separate VOL control on front feeds 1/4" Y cable (TRS TO Dual TR) cables into my two monitor wedges.

And if I use IEMs, I use the 1/8" stereo headphone jack on front to hear myself (over ambient stage sound)

I keep a spare one in my back-up bag.

None of these suggestions provide 2 separate mixes, except the Key Largo if you use the effects send as one of the mix outs (monitor out will be same mix as main out)

Hmmm..

link

- 1/4" stereo headphone jack with separate VOL control on front feeds 1/4" Y cable (TRS TO Dual TR) cables into my two monitor wedges.

And if I use IEMs, I use the 1/8" stereo headphone jack on front to hear myself (over ambient stage sound)

It's also how I use mine in the studio at home. I've also gigged this way, sending the master output to a DI to FOH and headphone jack to a

DI to my monitor so it IS a viable solution. Granted, you can't have a different sound level mix separately for FOH and monitors but my theory has always been that once I balance the mix between the two keyboards in my monitor there should be no logical reason why FOH would want a different balance between the two keyboards.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

link

This is exactly what I do, as well, when playing with two or more sound sources. The MX-28 is a great deal, at around $75; it's very transparent, sound-wise.

If I hadn't already owned the Radial D2, I would've checked out the Key Largo. Looks like a pretty sweet piece of kit.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I use the Yamaha MC06 in just this way. More often it goes on top of my Nord E3, but I've put it on the battery comapartment of the Px5S when doing a single keyboard gig. Usually I DI both keyboards before the mixer, and use splitters for my vocal and sax mics. In this way the sound guys have independent control over everything, and the mixer simply takes care of what I'm hearing thru my stage monitor....

Archived