Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Attention Moe!

lightbg

Get the blade sharpener out........

Roland Refreshes KC Amps

Got this email this morning about Roland "refreshing" the entire KC line of amplifiers.

Maybe they're wrapping them in steel to make it harder to saw?

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For over two decades, keyboard players everywhere have relied on Rolands KC amps for their powerful high-fidelity sound, onboard mixing features, versatile connectivity, and lasting durability. The latest generation carries on the time-honored KC benchmark of quality while offering new enhancements tuned for the needs of todays working musicians. With a KC amp by your side, youre in complete control of your stage rig, so youll always sound great and play your best. And thats worth it every time :roll:

"Worth it every time." :rolleyes::facepalm:

:nopity:

That marketing slogan makes no sense to me. Having to say that it's "worth it" naturally implies something negative exists......

You'll sound like ass, but it's worth it every time!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I would never own a KC amp but that is what is supplied at work for the jazz band.

The secret to making KC amps sound good with a DP is to use the mic input. Why? Because the mic preamp colors the sound such that it sounds like crud on microphones, but happens to sound good with a DP.

Of course what good is that when the rest of the inputs are line inputs that suck?

OOh, give me that big stereo bastard. I bet it weighs 60 lbs and will stop a bazooka!

Nothing a good trebuchet couldn't sling into the middle of next week.

This reminds me... can we make a point of not referring to this hang-out as KC? As a matter of principle?

:laugh:

Here for the gear.

Maybe we could call it Finnegan?

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Found these buried in the KC-990 Features List:

- Built-in effects: reverb, chorus, tremolo, and rotary chainsaw

- Stereo Link function for chainsawing two KC-990s

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

You never need an excuse to post that......it should be part of our banner.

Two thoughts:

Con: losing any ad revenue from Roland.

Plus: gaining a new audience from Sears/Craftsman Tools.

Side Benefit: better sounding DP's and much needed relief from agonizing sound fulfillment.

A double victory!

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Sears sold Craftsman, it's owned by Stanley Black and Decker now.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I get that the KC series is a running joke around these parts but I've got to say the only time I was fooled with a digital piano was when I walked into a restaurant about 10 years ago and heard a guy playing cocktail piano in the bar. I could've sworn it was a real piano but when I went into the bar to check it out it was a Yamaha P250 and a Roland KC500. It sounded so good.

Of course I ended up buying one since I was blown away at the restaurant but quickly returned it because it did sound like crap on my digital piano, like everyone says here.

I do think they are better than the Behringer versions. As far as keyboard amps go, they aren't that bad although for the price you could get a pair of Powered PA speakers that will blow it away.

How did the KC series become the poster child for bad sound? Was it just the great tagline from Moe?

How did the KC series become the poster child for bad sound? Was it just the great tagline from Moe?

I can't claim the tagline, I just took it and ran it into the ground. I lifted it from TonySounds! But those of us who have suffered playing thru a Roland KC, a Peavey KB or similar feel it speaks a universal truth.

Moe

---

I can't claim the tagline, I just took it and ran it into the ground. I lifted it from TonySounds! But those of us who have suffered playing thru a Roland KC, a Peavey KB or similar feel it speaks a universal truth.

Suffered through both Roland KC and Peavey KB. My QSC K12 later proved the theory that you learn from your mistakes

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

Suffered through both Roland KC and Peavey KB. My QSC K12 later proved the theory that you learn from your mistakes

How true! (Warning: slight thread derail) I used "midrange" gear for much of my gigging life before upgrading to a Nord Stage 2 and IEMs. So much happier!

Cheers, Mike.

A lot of people have had the same experience with them.

Way back when I started wanting to play out, I knew I needed an amp. The Guitar Center guy sold me on a mid-range KC amp, maybe a KC-150 or similar.

It sounded like ass.

So, I went back to the music store, and the guy convinced me that what I really needed was TWO of them, so I fell for it.

Now I sounded like twice as much ass.

Got rid of them, and started going down the self-powered PA route. Never, ever looked back except for my time with a Motion Sound KBR-3D. The Motion Sound had good sound, but was awkward to lug around.

Sometimes I'll be cruising around other forums, and you'll see a forumite dispense "advice" that a KC amp is a smart move. I'll make the time to say otherwise.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

They refresh the KC line ?

Worst sounding keyboard amp I ever tested..... (it was a KC100).

BUT

The SA line (SA300 and SA1000) were pretty good.

Still have a SA1000 which sounds nice with organ/Leslie sim.

The should refresh the SA line NOT the KC line...

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

They obviously must sell a fair amount of these to newbies and novice players, and I assume they're an important cog in their product offering for customers like GC, horrific, god-awful sound notwithstanding.

But once you get out of the smaller models, I can't imagine who a prospective buyer for their 97 lb., $1K KC990 would be (besides Moe of course)?

The Guitar Center guy sold me on a mid-range KC amp, maybe a KC-150 or similar.

It sounded like ass.

So, I went back to the music store, and the guy convinced me that what I really needed was TWO of them, so I fell for it.

Now I sounded like twice as much ass.

Lol! ;)

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Archived