Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

For those People who think Djs Aren't Intelligent

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting link, Nawledge. I'm on a mac, so I can't try the software.

Would that link prove to a hater that dj's are intelligent? I don't see it. It's kind of like a skater writing some software that randomly links moves, or a sax player linking riffs in Cubase to transcribe & perform later.

I've heard lots of skater haters say "I can't believe they actually have names for all of those moves." I guess this could prove to someone that 'tablists are more than just "wikka wikka," it is about technique and new ideas.

Originally posted by Mr Nice Jazz Guitar Guy:

Originally posted by Nawledge:

Who ever said that?

Only the ones that play rap aren't intelligent.

The foremost expert on turntables & DJ's has spoken. The matter is settled. Move along, nothing to see here.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Who ever said that?

Phew! I'm glad i'm a rapper and not a dj else you'd be talkin about me ;):D:rolleyes:

Who ever said that?

Phew! I'm glad i'm a rapper and not a dj else you'd be talkin about me ;):D:rolleyes:
Good one.

Perhaps you are familar with Wes Montgomery and the real jazz works of George Benson?

Have you recorded an MP3 today?

Originally posted by bluestrat:

Who ever said that?

The foremost expert on turntables & DJ's has spoken. The matter is settled. Move along, nothing to see here.
oh snap!

haha

btw i like these threads youre starting nawledge, bring more appreciation of hip hop turntablism etc to the others on these forums... everyone benfits!

peas

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

steppin in a rhythm to a kurtis blow/who needs a beat when your feet just go

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Benson yes, Montgomery no, school me though, are there any paticular links you recommend?

Oh man, really? Wes was beautiful. He was THE inspiration for Benson. To me he was the father of modern day jazz guitar, Charlie Christian fans might disagree.

Two songs I highly recommend, will QUICKLY give you and idea of what it's all about: "Movin' Wes, Part II" and "Tear It Down".

Usually horn players are the inspiration for guitar players, in terms of "phrasing". Wes turned the tables. His incredibly soulful and beautiful playing was inspirational to horn players and just about any jazz musician since the 1950s.

Wes Montgomery, the favorite of both Carlos Santana and Pat Metheny, and countless others, especially like someone we know in Englewood Cliffs, NJ.

Have you recorded an MP3 today?

Greetings all,

Have to get into this turntablism / george benson thread for a minute, as a fellow fan of the boom bap, you must must get your hands on LPs on the label CTI. All the late 80s / early 90s East Coast hip hop was super inspired by these sounds...

Creed Taylor is the guy who started the label with Herb Albert, it peaked in the late 60s and early 70s, George Benson is all over it as well as a great list of other amazing jazz cats (Freddie Hubbard, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, Hubert Laws, Deodato, even Dizzy and Chet Baker did some work on this label).

Anyways, to find the source of some classic hip hop tracks, check these out -

Cherry - Stanley Turentine

Freddie Hubbard - Sky Dive

Bob James - One (Two is also solid)

All of these are amazing music, period.

One more to add:

Freddie Hubbard - First Light

Wanted to pass it on

Easy

Dahkter

Archived