Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Does the guitar have a future? You're damn right it does!

Fred_C

I could follow along on the other Clapton thread and can see where you might want to go in that direction as well...When I heard the kid on the Buddy Guy clip, I was thinking to myself, this could be the next Joe Bonamassa. I think some kids are born with it and I can only day dream and ask, why couldn't that have happened to me? LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Larryz, is the Chinese girl Yoyo by any chance?

Yes it's YoYo and I believe she is about 8 years old in the clip. Super talented player that is destined to be on the world's stage someday, if not already! :thu:

Take care, Larryz

I could follow along on the other Clapton thread and can see where you might want to go in that direction as well...When I heard the kid on the Buddy Guy clip, I was thinking to myself, this could be the next Joe Bonamassa. I think some kids are born with it and I can only day dream and ask, why couldn't that have happened to me? LOL! :cool:

HEY! GET OUTA MY DREAM!! :D

I too, often ask myself the same question Salieri asks in the movie AMADEUS---

"Why does God instill within me the desire...but DENY me the TALENT?" :D

I was following in the direction of the Clapton thing in my thoughts. And my crap about "throngs of kids filling GC" was hypothetical, but I thought at least clear enough to get the point across. ;)

And let's DO hope that YoYo puts her gargantuan talent and skill to good use and blazes a new trail in restoring the guitar's Mammoth stature in the world of music it once had for years, when the names of great guitarists were household names to people who didn't even PLAY the guitar.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Firstly---or maybe lastly---while some may think the subject's limited to technically talented kids, I reiterate that those players seldom exhibit musical (as in expressive, communicative skills. They're generally, maybe uniformly, hyper-skilled finger gymnasts.

Reverting to the Mozart example of a wunderkid, were we to be able to audit him or his sister as kids, we'd likely find none of the interest one finds in his later compositions, even though we're mostly experiencing those 2nd hand through their performances by others.

With the gtr, or really any instrument, the future will always be abt not what a player does w/ their fingers but what they brings to us...what they bring us to.

FWIW & BTW, here's Yo2 illustrating my above point

[video:youtube]

Slightly, but only slightly, more expressive

[video:youtube]

Kinda like watching the young Derek Trucks before he actually made the transition from a "recitationist" to a compelling player.

d=halfnote

No offense to Joe Bonamassa but I'm going to posit that the young person we've seen blossom into a mature guitar slinging artist before our eyes is Derek Trucks.

Love Derek Trucks too :love: , but I remember watching an interview with Joe Bonamassa with regard to his childhood and beginning guitar days(Early or pre teen years). He was a little reclusive, a little pudgy and did not go out on dates. Locking himself in his room and endlessly playing his guitar. Reminds me of a few guitar players I know LOL! Later in life, he blossomed and can have any gal he wants these days. (If I'm recalling the interview correctly). This guy also grew up to be a super talented guitar slinger in front of us, much like Derek... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Yeah, THIS thread is about those little kids playing so good and ensuring the future of the guitar. Somewhat.

But, wasn't the other thread ABOUT the guitar being "dead" as far as modern music goes and Clapton's feeling that it's no longer a serious contender? Anyway, that's how I took the article to mean. Like I said, I'll have to go back and refresh myself on it. And some weren't sure if Eric was talking about the guitar, or just himself.

Whitefang

Yeah, the other article was about (in response to an article about) the guitar's diminishing status as the dominant instrument in popular music. It's still in popular music on the top 40 level, but it's not the lead instrument or solo instrument in most of it, just another part of the rhythm section. There was an argument years ago that all of the tapping virtuosos of the late 80s actually killed interest in the guitar for kids because they made it seem impossible... and Kurt Cobain revived interest with his simplicity, like John Lennon and George Harrison had done on a large scale in the early 60s.

Yeah. Like, some of my favorite music from the last 20 or so years have NO "incendiary" or "screaming" guitar solos. Or any guitar solos at all, and so no guitar "hero" of any note stands out. All the guitar work IS tastefully and skillfully executed, but mostly in a "part of the whole" sense and not anything revolutionary music wise.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived