Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

In other news, the sky is blue and water is wet.

No, really. I put another gig of RAM into the Mac. It now has 1,536MB running (three 512MB sticks), and man... I can't push this computer to its limit to test out what that limit is. I've tried opening nearly all of my apps at once. No problem. Not a hitch.

It's like having a race car. You want to see how fast it can really go, but somewhere around 180MPH with no hint of slowing accelleration, you realize that you'll never need to know how fast it goes.

I suppose I could go get that last 512MB stick and max it out, but until I'm doing non-linear digital video editing, I have to ask myself if there's any reason to do so other than to say I have 2GB of RAM. This is impressive, yes, but again to use my car analogy, often the 8-cylinder model is fine; 12 is just silly. :)

- Jeff

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have about 1 Gig of RAM in my G4. The thing is that if I am using Pro Tools, there seems to be a finite amount of RAM that it takes and then after that it crashes. I posted about this before. I had to kinda shuttle the amount back and forth until finally getting the optimal amount.

The next thing I need to do is upgrade the CPU...

Originally posted by Dylan PDX:

Ive yet to have the system hiccup or show any sings of lag. Yeah, baby!

Isn't it awesome? I was running a DAW app last night. Forgot I still had Photoshop (running in Classic), Safari, Mail, Word and Go Live running at the same time. Didn't matter.

:)

- Jeff

Bah Humbug. I bought a new 3Ghz machine in December and packed it with 2GB 'o RAM (my MB supports a max of 4GB). Since I regularly use Steinberg's The Grand VSTi as well as string samples in HALion, it's not on heard of that I pass 1.5GB stored in RAM. I proudly have yet to page anything out though...

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Archived