Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Update on my Linux tries.

Well, I got on with Lindows. What a nice OS. It's the easiest install I've run across in any form of Linux OS. This thing is awesome so far. I got it as the OS on a computer I just picked up to replace my previous PC that just got fried from an electric company outage and power surge when the electricity came back on line.

I stuck in my old C drive from the other box and moved my important files over to the new drive. I then formatted it and did a clean Windows 2000 install on that, swapped them around so the old drive is again the C drive. I partitioned and formatted the new drive and re-installed Lindows OS to one partition. What a gravy install.

Was it Mr Kemp that tossed us the bone about Lindows giving the OS away?

Grab it gang.

You won't be sorry.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, it was the Kemp. I'm more than happy with my bare bones install of Vector, though, but I think anyone wanting to try out Linux should get Lindows. It has improved significantly since its first few releases.

Dak, does your package include a version of the WINE software? That's essentially something that allows Linux (and some other *nixes) users to install and run Windows software on a Linux machine to varying degrees of workability. I remember that as one of the original selling points for Lindows.

Originally posted by Dr. Taz:

Dak, does your package include a version of the WINE software? That's essentially something that allows Linux (and some other *nixes) users to install and run Windows software on a Linux machine to varying degrees of workability. I remember that as one of the original selling points for Lindows.

I believe that when I was doing the re-install I saw something about WINE. I'll look into it when I have a chance. I've not installed the office suite yet, basically, the lan card, video and sound drivers were the important things and I'll be finishing up later.

I still have to re-install all the windows stuff too, until I get this OS really under my belt and bullet proof as possible.

I never did get Vector working on my old box. I have ASP running on it now. Weird but the sound started working on it this afternoon. ???

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by polyt:

On a slightly related note, I installed Open Office on my XP box and really like it. The drawing tools especially.

Makes "Paint" look like the POS that it is.

I also use and like Open Office. It is a very wel done office suite but it is not fully compatible with Word. Very often the page formatting doesn't carry over. No big thing but something to understand. I haven't run into any compatibilty issues yet with the spreadsheet but haven't used it as much yet. There I'm still heavily into Excel. For a no cost program it's an amazing set of tools.

Our Joint

I installed it to open .xls files primarily. I haven't got around to seeing how well it handles them either though.

I have Excel at work and MS Works at home. The Works spreadsheet was so severally crippled compared to Excel. Hopefully OO is a good alternative. Have Word on both machines so I'm not planning on using the OO word processor much.

At any rate, it beats shelling out several hundred for MS Office.

Dak, my brother, where have you been? You're not answering my emails. I suppose you think you're still too big for me to kick your ass? :mad: I'll be in LA soon. I want to visit my brother and his family. Do you have any suggestions?

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by daklander:

Well, I got on with Lindows. What a nice OS. It's the easiest install I've run across in any form of Linux OS. This thing is awesome so far. I got it as the OS on a computer I just picked up to replace my previous PC that just got fried from an electric company outage and power surge when the electricity came back on line.

I stuck in my old C drive from the other box and moved my important files over to the new drive. I then formatted it and did a clean Windows 2000 install on that, swapped them around so the old drive is again the C drive. I partitioned and formatted the new drive and re-installed Lindows OS to one partition. What a gravy install.

Was it Mr Kemp that tossed us the bone about Lindows giving the OS away?

Grab it gang.

You won't be sorry.

How do you feel about the speed and stability so far?

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by can't work for no one:

Dak, my brother, where have you been? You're not answering my emails. I suppose you think you're still too big for me to kick your ass? :mad: I'll be in LA soon. I want to visit my brother and his family. Do you have any suggestions?

Ah Grasshopper,

I've been out of town and without computer and email for the last week. Then, when I was on the way home on Friday the electric company had a power outage and I lost my computer when they powered back up. I had to get a new PC, it got the power supply and, apparently, the motherboard. I found a box without monitor for under two bones that will do for now. It came with Lindows installed and I ran that on Saturday night once I got it home. Sunday I yanked my drive from the old unit and installed it and my burner into the new unit. moved files around anf reformatted and reloaded the OSs. I'll get back with you soon on your trip out here & I'm looking forward to it.

I should have some decent email access sometime this evening from home so I'll email you once I get it up & rolling.

Our Joint

Archived