Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

http://www.spotifypublishingsettlement.com/

d  halfnote

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got something in the mail, as a copyright holder.

I don`t see how they could have-or would be interested in-streaming my music without my permission. They say to check on it as soon as possible but it`s unlikely I`m directly affected. In fact, until the website includes the database of Spotify tracks, I`m not going to worry about it.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I got a card in the mail, and I bet the lawyers will get a bunch from Spotify, and the copyright holders will get pennies each. Been there done that.

Thanks to Spotify if they did stream my stuff, at least it got some airplay. I ain't playin the collect pennies game so the lawyers can get rich.

Well, in class action cases, IIRC, the plaintiff group splits the settlement funds w/ attorneys collecting fees.

Therefore if fewer ppl make a claim on the funds, the participating claimants individually recoup more of the total amount. Not sure how that might affect what the attorneys collect individually but the total amt neither shrinks nor increases after judgement.

I would think it better, if one's in the affected group, to sign up & see what you might get.

It's a case where you can collect something or nothing. If you chose nothing, you only lose & allow others to take what belongs to you.

Those lawyers aren't gonna get any less.

It's popular to sneer at lawyers as opportunistic sharks but when you're tryna get fair treatment legally, they're yer only hope.

BTW, as Mike Molenda pointed out in a recent GP editorial, what good does free airplay get you if you have no way of either collecting royalties or taking advantage of increased public awareness of yer work ?

d=halfnote

Archived