Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Firefox/Mozilla questions

So I had a spyware infection last night and had to reformat. It all came from a pop-under window without my consent. So I decided to get Firefox. A couple things:

- it has a slow GUI (menus etc)compared to IE. Is Mozilla faster?

- does it have 128 bit encrpytion? (or Mozilla?)

- any way to alphabetically sort the bookmarks? The folder that points to my IE favorites is all jumbled.

Thanks.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never used Firefox. Gotta take a look at that.

I use Mozilla under Windows instead of IE unless there's something it won't handle. Also look at the Firebird small version of Mozilla. It may be a bit faster though I've not encountered any issues with Mozilla being slow. I know that Netscape had a real dog at one time, I think it was version 6.0 but they got rid of that slug.

Under Lindows I run the default browser. It is, I believe, Mozilla too.

Look at Opera too. It's a pretty nice browser too.

EDIT! Found it.

Ah, Firefox is the new version of Firebird. Maybe they did something with it. If you can find a copy of Firebird, try that. I think I still have a copy if you can't find one.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

I love Firefox. I just installed it last week, but I've been a Netscape/Mozilla user since Netscape was just a wee pup. Love it. Hate Exploder. Use the folders rather than bookmarks (they are bookmarks) and use middle click, middle click, middle click! You can view your bookmarks alphabetically if you'd like. Go under Bookmarks, manage bookmarks, view, sort by name.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Mozilla's not faster than Firefox, but on your G4 it should run quite well. (Well, on my somewhat antiquated PC anyway.) It also has a nice popup blocker and has 128 bit encryption.

Mozilla also renders pages correctly, compared to Firefox. It does hiccup a tiny bit on pages optimized with IE, but not often. Your web sites work fine on it. I'm in Linux as I write this, and use Mozilla 1.6, the latest stable release.

Thanks everyone.

Taz - I'm running Firefox on our PC here, which is 150 Mhz, 96mb RAM.. My G4 Powerbook isn't online yet until we get DSL.

I'm assuming the specs of my PC are a factor in Firefox's slight GUI latency, but I find it odd as every other program performs fine.

Originally posted by Phait:

Thanks everyone.

Taz - I'm running Firefox on our PC here, which is 150 Mhz, 96mb RAM.. My G4 Powerbook isn't online yet until we get DSL.

I'm assuming the specs of my PC are a factor in Firefox's slight GUI latency, but I find it odd as every other program performs fine.

Well, on a 150, it would be a little more graphics intensive as far as GUI, so it would run a little slower. Have you enabled quick launch?
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Quick launch is a specific part of firefix (go into options) will actually keep some of your memory reserved with Firefox in it. That way, it takes only half the time to load.

Archived