Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What are the best resources for used gear?

Hey all, I don't usually shop for used gear, but I am desperate for a Roland R-70 drum machine (out of production). I have tried eBay (I lost), Digibid (nothing), and Rogue music, but I don't know where else to look. Are there any other on-line resources (or other resources period) where you can find good used gear? I have also tried my local music shops. All the best, Wiggum

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Got any [url=http://www.musicgoround.com/]Music Go Round[/url] stores near where you live? I'd search through Google and see if you can find any clearance or liquidation sales... Especially from folks who closing down their studio or getting out of the business altogether. I believe musicplayer.com has a classified section, as well as harmonycentral.com... Maybe someone's selling their R-70 there. Good luck!

See if there's a local paper or something where people advertise. I picked up a lot of gear through craig's list in San Francisco, for instance, recently. I had a chance to test drive the stuff myself and meet the buyer (I would never buy stuff from anyone with a messy studio, for instance). The prices were reasonable, and cheaper than ebay. Rogue music is a freaking ripoff, IMHO.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

[quote]Originally posted by Wiggum: [b]Hey all, I don't usually shop for used gear, but I am desperate for a Roland R-70 drum machine (out of production). Wiggum[/b][/quote] I don't usually sell used gear, but I have an R-70, in mint condition, that I barely use. I'm wondering, why do you want this particular drum machine? What State are you in? If you wish to buy this from me, I believe I can establish my credibility fairly well. -Peace, Love, and BrittanyLips

I used to see a lot of gear for sale in the newsgroups esspecially Rec.Audio.Pro I don't know how active that newsgroup is anymore since musicPlayer seems to be a much better newsgroup for hot topics .. but for FS items try Rec.Audio.Pro I might add I'm needing a 2" 16-TRK head stack for a Studer 827. ANYBODY ?????

Thanks guys, [b]Brittanylips:[/b] Do you have an e-mail address where I can reach you? I need a set of pads to control my virtual drum machines (LM4, HALion, etc), and the R-70 seems to fit the bill. Akai MPC's are ridiculously overpriced (particularly if I am using only the MIDI controller functionality, and not the sound engine), and the R-70 appears to have large pads (the Boss units are tiny). How big are those pads? Wiggum

[b]Wiggum:[/b] Yes, the pads are pretty good sized, feel good to the touch, and react well to input, complemented by that ribbon controller on the bottom. MY interest in selling my R-70 aside, I can think of two other potential solutions. One is a newer Roland device, a "virtual" drum with a large pad incorporating different regions that trigger different midi notes. Another is the Midiman "Surface One" which uses a fiber-optic surface to translate motion into control data. However, neither of these options uses "buttons" that you get in a bonified drum machine, like the R-70. Particularly Roland's new drum surface implies that you would hit it with a stick, not a finger. I sent you a "private message" with my email address in it. -Peace, Love, and BrittanyLips P.S. Does anyone know where I might be able to find a replacement package of vintage tongue depressors and an external box latch for a 1963 "Happy Highway" Automobile First Aid Kit? [ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: Brittanylips ]

BrittanyLips, I am going to have to hold off for a while. As much as I would like to get an R-70, my present circumstances dictate otherwise. If you are still interested in selling it 1-3 months from now, I'd love to talk. All the best, Wiggum

[quote]Originally posted by stevepow: [b]I have a closet full of junk I can haul out.[/b][/quote] I also have A LOT of perfectly working stuff I'm not using... time for a garage sale? /Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Archived