Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Craig's Tracktion Review

Overall a great issue of EQ so far (a ton of interesting and informative articles and reviews). In it, Craig wrote a great, dead on, review of Mackie/Raw Material's Tracktion. It's probably overlooked because it's cheap, and not loaded with bells and whistles. It shouldn't be.

To me, it's a cool, easy to use program. I think it fits the wants and needs of more people than would honestly admit. It sounds decent, has a good bit of flexibility, and an interesting user interface. I also agree with Craig when he says that its price should hit "software thieves" over the head the next time they complain good software is too expensive. If you're not willing to spend less than $80 to record, well...I think I'll play nice right about now. ;)

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<

To me, it's a cool, easy to use program. I think it fits the wants and needs of more people than would honestly admit. It sounds decent, has a good bit of flexibility, and an interesting user interface.>>

Hey, that's a pretty good review, and you did it in a lot fewer words :)

It is very clever and indeed does what most people need. Unfortunately some of the "bells and whistles" it lacks are really important to me, like a video window. But I think it would be a killer app for notebooks. The code seems pretty efficient and doesn't hit your CPU hard.

<>

They DO complain about it being too expensive, so in their minds, that jusitifies taking it for free. "If it wasn't so expensive, I wouldn't have to steal it." Well, that rationalization just can't apply to Tracktion.

Yeah, it can't apply to an Mbox with PTLE, either ($450 - CHEAP!). :thu:

Anyway, my point was that the people who complain the LOUDEST are the people who actually pay for software, and usually can't afford it. So, they get none. Whereas, the pirates get all they want, for FREE! That was my point.

I'd LOVE to own Reason, but can't afford it. So, I don't own it. And that's why I complain. :)

speaking of your articles Craig,I caught your article in keyboard, the one with the motu mach 5

pic, the article was about just getting songs down

quickly and some apps that do that well, if I'm not mistaken you didn't mention ableton Live and I thought that was kind of strange given your knowledge about the program, it's may favorite but I hope i'm being objective when I say that I don't think there is another program thats better at sketching out and getting ideas down than 'Live

I thought it would of leaps and bounds better than

those other apps mentioned in the article for exactly what the article was about.

still a good article never the less, just curious.

I think Project 5 is hot, and a fantastic deal for $199 now. To me, it's like Reason...but still different. I like sequencing with Project 5, but I like some of Reason's modules better, though P5's are pretty darn tight, too. It's crazy, but you can't go wrong with either.

I agree with Craig that that's the rationale they use to steal it...because it's too expensive. And Bunny, you're right in the sense that most of them probably CAN afford it, if they want to, but the problem is they don't want to pay for it if they don't have to. However, it's a question of whether there's extra money in the bank to do it for the rest of us honest citizens.

The point is, you can't use price as an excuse nowadays for using cracked programs. Tracktion is less than $80, and P5 is less than $200. For $280 you can have a killer little setup on the soft side.

Peace

One of the big things for me is cross platform compatability. I want to be able to transfer a session to and from other programs. I wish all the manufacturers would get that. how hard can it be to make it so you can open a logic session in Nuend,o cubase, etc. And Vica versa.

Of course, forget digi, as they know if they make it so you can open a pro-tools session in another program, they're dead, because noone would be forced to use their crappy software. And they wouldn't be able to sell any of the crappy, crippled LE and Mbox systems.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

<

pic, the article was about just getting songs down

quickly and some apps that do that well, if I'm not mistaken you didn't mention ableton Live and I thought that was kind of strange given your knowledge about the program, it's may favorite but I hope i'm being objective when I say that I don't think there is another program thats better at sketching out and getting ideas down than 'Live>>

Live is great, but the focus of the article was using MIDI, which Live doesn't do. Also, you have to already have your collection of loops ready to go. Otherwise, you'd have to spend time creating the loops, then transferring them into Live, as opposed to just writing, say, a quick MIDI drum part and copying data.

Originally posted by Henchman:

Of course, forget digi, as they know if they make it so you can open a pro-tools session in another program, they're dead, because noone would be forced to use their crappy software. And they wouldn't be able to sell any of the crappy, crippled LE and Mbox systems.

Digi seems to be the only company who has figured out how to eliminate software piracy. Funny, PTLE the software I use. For my purposes, it's neither crippled nor crappy.

gotcha Craig

I see now.

software piracy: its a tough issue, I know alot of people feel its a black and white one, but I don't think so. if you go over to smartelectronix.com and other sites like that you'll see alot of developers making wares and not charging for them, alot of really nice and innovative stuff, they ask that you pay what you feel is right for the software and it seems like they don't have problems alot of people give them money because they feel like the software is worth

it and devoid of shinanigans.

I guess it's two issues. people stealing from software companys and software companys stealing from people

Not to turn this into a piracy thread, but my stance is always: what's it worth to you? I don't think you can ask for something for nothing when it's providing you with a world of possibilities to do what you aspire to do (make and record music) AND, for a lot of people, it actually pays the bills. Consider what it used to cost to do what much of this software does now. Consider even 5 or 10 years ago the cost to do what you can with $500 now.

Strictly software heads balk at the cost of Fantom Xs, and Motifs, and K2661s, but the rest of us don't see any problem with it. Yet, people still complain about the cost of $500 software, and decide theft is the only alternative. I simply don't get it.

What is it worth to you?

Peace

Originally posted by Bunny.:

Yet, people still complain about the cost of $500 software, and decide theft is the only alternative.
I, however, complain about the cost of $500 software, and decide that not owning it is the only alternative.

How, exactly, does that help the software companies? :confused:

Yeah, and I can dig that. It doesn't help. Just like, as much as I would love to have Nuendo as a second program, $1200 just doesn't cut it for me. So I remain happy with what I have.Then you ask, does what's extra in Nuendo from Cubase SX make it worth $600 extra bucks?

Peace

Nuendo has suffered from slow fixes for bugs, omitting features that used to exist when a new version is released, and not producing the added function promised in ads when the an update comes out.

Things have improved, yet it's difficult for me to commit to using the program when the company is so slow to address issues.

I don't believe it will sync to anything else. Can't say I've tried sync'ing the MPC to it. I'll try later today.

The other thing I like about it is the little sample player. I've loaded up some samples and sequenced them inside of there. Not as easy as using the keyboard, but I wanted to try it, and though it's arcane, it got the job done.

Peace

Originally posted by theblue1:

Oops. Realized thread wasn't really about software piracy. Never mind.

Well, actually, regarding the second paragraph of the opening post in this thread, it directly addresses the issue of software piracy. So, that subject isn't OT at all in this thread. I'm curious about what you had to say.

If I may interject here for a second.

(my name is T.H. and I am not a CRACKED USER)

but I understand that most people who do use cracks are just trying to keep up in a fast paced world, where you are looked down upon if you dont have the latest and greatest. Most of you guys are culprits throwing out phrases like

"buy the latest, it's a deal at $$$$"

but the for the JOE who doesnt have the dough, or who logically doesnt want to work 160 hrs to make money to spend it all on ONE item: SOFTWARE, HARDWARE, whatever, it does have an ADVANTAGE, at the same time DISADVANTAGE.

Depending on the person, they could download a crack version to see if they like it, learn it and have a chance to love it, then "AT LEAST I THINK" they will go buy it, cause NOW THEY KNOW IT.

But having paid a shit load of money for my PLUG-INS for my OS9.2/PT 5.1, and my WAVES for my DP3.1.1 I dont give a gosh darn what ANYONE says, I know my stuff WELL and can probably create just as good a material as any other HIGH END USER.

that being said -- it's hard playing with the JONES's

So I stay being T.H. and learn to create with what I have, and that's liberating to me :wave:

CRACKED IS WACK

• 3 weeks later...

Archived