Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kudyba - UBB bad grammar alert

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by LiveMusic: [b]Wow, I never knew that. Would you ever be correct to say "is comprised of?"[/b][/quote] I don't think so, unless you give big points to colloquial usage. "Comprise" means include, so think of it this way: You wouldn't say, "This topic is included of five pages." Marv

[quote]Originally posted by KHAN: [b]There has got to be a better way to get to 4000 posts than this... ;) ------------------ KHAN (on the road to 1300)[/b][/quote] At least this post had SOME value... I got to 1,000 by counting down David Frangioni's last few needed posts to get his forum up to 10,000 (yep, I made the 10 K post with my 1 K post) - talk about shameless! You GO Dan! ;) Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://www.ssrstudio.com pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

OK after starting a thread over on the [url=http://community.infopop.net/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=729094322&f=1863088313&m=9563006773]UBB Support Forums[/url] , we've come to the conclusion that Marvster and Dan South are correct...change made...now if I can only remember it in next month's planned upgrade to v 6.2 of this software...

[quote]Originally posted by pokeefe777@msn.com: [b] At least this post had SOME value... I got to 1,000 by counting down David Frangioni's last few needed posts to get his forum up to 10,000 (yep, I made the 10 K post with my 1 K post) - talk about shameless! You GO Dan! ;) Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://www.ssrstudio.com pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com[/b][/quote] ...And I hope to reach 1k by the time Alpha reaches 4K... ;) Was this on topic? /Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

On a sidebar... Sorry, UBB has encountered an unexpected, fatal error. This error is extremely abnormal. Please contact the board administration. The error text is: /home/DocumentRoots/Default/ubb/cache-UHVBCNQ7/ubb_files/forum_page/Forum1/forum1-20.cgi: Expected to write out 67512 bytes, but file on disk is only !] Here is the backtrace: Backtrace: ubb_lib_filehandle.cgi:185 -> sub UBB::FileHandle::tracer Backtrace: ubb_lib_filehandler.cgi:132 -> sub UBB::FileHandle::close Backtrace: ubb_lib_files.cgi:522 -> sub UBB::FileHandler::close Backtrace: ubb_forum.cgi:429 -> sub main::WriteFileAsString Backtrace: ultimatebb.cgi:537 -> sub main::get_forum » Please use your browser's back button to return. NYC Drew

[quote]Originally posted by Marvster: [b] I don't think so, unless you give big points to colloquial usage. "Comprise" means include, so think of it this way: You wouldn't say, "This topic is included of five pages." Marv[/b][/quote] Actually, your logic is flawed. Just because the word have similar meanings does not mean that -ed as a suffix works for both. The correct, albeit uncommon, usage would compare "..comprised of.." with "..inclusive of..". Are either example correct? To be honest I don't know. However it does raise the question of whether Dan's post is correct, or merely another way to restate the same meaning. Do we have any English majors who can clarify whether both are correct? (And for some of you, does anyone here continue to care? ;) )

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Yeah that was covered and explained in [url=http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=003655&p=]another thread[/url] earlier this month. Hopefully, in the coming weeks, it won't be such an issue as most of the magazine sites will not be redirecting here any more...this box just gets overloaded occasionally....

[quote]Originally posted by fantasticsound: [b]Actually, your logic is flawed. Just because the word have similar meanings does not mean that -ed as a suffix works for both. The correct, albeit uncommon, usage would compare "..comprised of.." with "..inclusive of..". Are either example correct?[/b][/quote] My, my, my ... I didn't know I was advancing an entire logical construct. I just thought I was giving an example. ;-) Actually, my "logic" works pretty well, especially given the upfront disclaimer. Consider not only the synonymous meaning of the words, but also their functions: "comprise" = transitive verb (in this context) "include" = transitive verb (in this context) "inclusive" = adjective That said, as I pointed out regarding colloquial use, the dictionary (mine, at least) provides idiomatic examples of both "comprise" and "include." Random House Webster's regarding "comprise": -Idiom. 4. [b]be comprised of,[/b] to consist of; be composed of. -Usage. [Blah blah blah about the history.] Since the late 19th century it has also been used in passive constructions with a sense synonymous with one of its original meanings, "to consist of, be composed of": [b]The United States of America is comprised of 50 states.[/b] These later uses are often criticized, but they occur with increasing frequency in formal speech and edited writing. In other words, it's perfectly acceptable in common use, and a judgment call when writing/editing for publication, though editors tend to err on the side of "correctness" with some things. Then again, dictionaries can be wrong or out-of-date. Just like me.... Marv [ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: Marvster ]

That's the explanation I desired. The answer is: It's wrong, unless we say it's right. ;) :) :eek: I still hear politicians and journalists/new anchors using, "normalcy," originally misused by.. was it Herbert Hoover? I should add that these public figures believe they are speaking properly, not alluding to the original mistake!

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

[quote]Originally posted by Marvster: [b] I don't think so, unless you give big points to colloquial usage. "Comprise" means include, so think of it this way: You wouldn't say, "This topic is included of five pages." Marv[/b][/quote] Maybe back in the day they did. It sounds to me like some old english shakespeare type shit.

Kids, understand one thing. A thing I've learned relatively recently, and understood fully relatively recently, and a thing I'd [i]love to have rubbed my english/swedish/e.t.c. teachers nose in[/i]: :D A [b]language is a living, breathing entity[/b]. And [b]GRAMMAR[/b] is an [b]after construct[/b] that is an [b]attempt to describe the language[/b]. Keywords here are "attempt" and "describe". Hence, [b]by definition[/b], the language is [i]always right[/i]. I.e. if you say it, and people in general say it, [i]it is correct!![/i]. Because thats how language works. If it doesnt match the rules in the book, well fawk, kiddies, [b]the book is wrong![/b] ALWAYS remember, Grammar is an after constructed attempt at DESCRIPTION, and [b]NOT[/b] a rule set to consider unbreakable. (It's funny coz this is 180 degrees opposite to the way I [i]used[/i] to feel in this issue, funny innit?) For example: "Ain't" is not incorrect, because people say it. "Cool" doesn't only relate to temperature. "Hip" is no longer a pure anatomical description. E.t.c. trying to claim the opposite gets you nowhere. /Z

[quote]Originally posted by kudyba: [b]OK after starting a thread over on the [url=http://community.infopop.net/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=729094322&f=1863088313&m=9563006773]UBB Support Forums[/url] , we've come to the conclusion that Marvster and Dan South are correct...change made...now if I can only remember it in next month's planned upgrade to v 6.2 of this software...[/b][/quote] please don't forget the email me when this thread is updated. There are many threads that interest to me that I would like to keep my eye on (and I did post 2 threads where I forgot to tick that box) Thanks

Rotshtein Danny - Studio Engineer

Jingles show-reel

Visit DarlingNikkie.com To discover the sounds of "Darling Nikkie"(aka Jade 4U). . . .

New exciting project Goddess of Destruction

Archived