Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

...to go?

I'm gonna be moving in a couple months. I've got no idea where to go. What cities are a good environment for a musical artist looking for excellent musicians, excellent marketing people, excellent food and drink, and fantastic single women?!?

My CD will be packaged and ready to push in a few weeks and I wanna get started on the next one. I'm thinkin' LA, NYC, Austin or London. But fuck those are big cities. Anyone got any ideas?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Super 8:

Thought of Madison Wisconsin? Great town.

I've heard garage bands are "all the rage" there. Walk down any block in the summer and every other house has a garage band blastin', and a keg or 2 a pumpin'. Can't 4git the saucesages on the the bar-b-que and a Bret Favre T-shirt.
Have you recorded an MP3 today?

If you want action, you've got to go where the action is.

It isn't going to come to you ;)

That means a big city, for the most part: NYC, San Fran, LA, Boston, Chicago, London, Montreal, Amsterdam, Paris, etc...

It won't be cheap to live in those places, but you should be able to earn more and, like I said, those are the places where things are happening.

Don't forget Toronto or Vancouver.

But, I must ask...why are you moving? Sounds like you've just decided to move, without any ideas as to where or anything. I'd kinda have that part thought out before you just strike out on your own.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by deanmass:

I'd wait til you find out where Alex will be in prison, then move there... :)

Think I could use one of his places for awhile?

But seriously, I'm moving from the wilds of Maryland. Ain't nothing here. The built a Barnes & Noble here last year and that's about it. I'm somewhat of a country boy.

I lived in LA in 1989-1900 (Musician's Institute) and there are things about LA I like. I went to a philosophy conference at UCLA in 2002. I can see LA.

Tedsterino, moving is an unexpected necessity. I rent a cabin on the water from this awesome landlady but she wants the cabin for herself and her new beau. I could find another house around here but I feel it's a great time to take a chance. I'm going to a philosophy conference in Vancouver in July so that's a possibility.

It's crazy to just pick up and move. Drum set, geetars, HR824s (Not ADAMS though! :wave: ) But I'm not married and I've done about all I can do where I am. It feels good in a crazy way.

Originally posted by LanceMo:

Originally posted by Super 8:

Thought of Madison Wisconsin? Great town.

What's in Madison, Super? I'm wide open. No strings attached.
It's about 2 hours from Chicago.

It's a college town.

About maybe an hour from Milwaukee (Summerfest -which you simply must see)

It's a nice looking place.

Usually ranks among the top of Money magazine's lists of places to live.

Oh, and about half a continent away from that dickhead wannabe Jazz guitar dude. I mean really...what more could you want? :rolleyes:

Downside: It *IS* Wisconsin. So expect some snow and cold in the winter.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Originally posted by flyscots:

Good for you Lance, best of luck! :thu:

Don't move to London, it's very expensive and unfriendly, not to mention the legal complications with you being a foreign citizen etc.

Thanks a lot, Fly! I'm thinking that London is a lot like NYC. NYC is awesome but it wears me down after about 3 days. I start noticing the brown urban decay and lose all hope. I went to see Sting just outside Philly 2 weeks ago and man the little township was run down to shit.

By the way, your country of Scotland looks awesome. An offer came in the mail this week to vacation there in October. It starts in Stirling and we'd be seein' the William Wallace Monument (Braveheart is about my favorite movie) then it goes on to the Trossachs, Lake Katrine, "the bonnie, bonnie banks of Loch Lomond," Scone, the highlands on up to Inverness. There's a day in Edinburgh as well in there. I'm gonna apply to the U of Edinburgh for an MA Philosophy in like 10 years. I shit you not. David Hume did his thing around them parts.

Heard of any of those places, fly? :D Anyhow, it's probly gonna be too expensive wit me moving. We shall see. It's like $1900 plus airfare.

Hey Super, yeah I've seen Madison, WI on those lists before now that you mention it. I think Fort Collins, CO and Burlington, VT and Annapolis, MD (a nice town!) are on there usually.

The most important thing is to have a large pool of excellent musicians to put a band together that's willing to travel.

Originally posted by Lee Tyler:

Try Naples, FL. :freak::rolleyes::D

Hahaha. Ya know, Naples is a really really nice town. 5th Ave. and the Gulf of Mexico are just great. I was thinking hard about moving there when I realized just how old the average person is. The average age is like 84 years old! They can't drive, they act like they own the place (they probly do). It's just too old there for me.

Originally posted by Lee Tyler:

Try Naples, FL. :freak::rolleyes::D

Hahaha. Ya know, Naples is a really really nice town. 5th Ave. and the Gulf of Mexico are just great. I was thinking hard about moving there when I realized just how old the average person is. The average age is like 84 years old! They can't drive, they act like they own the place (they probly do). It's just too old there for me.
I hear ya. Property values increased 42% for Collier and 31% for Lee County! Yup, a lot of retired folks in Naples, and a lot of snottier-than-N.Y.C folks there that can be imagined as well. I live in Cape Coral. Now THIS place is all that....that is unless you got to have that "big city" feel, alond with the problems associated with big cities. Best of luck with your choice. ---Lee http://www.gifs.net/animate/ag00612_.gif

Joe Pine (60's talk show host who sported a wooden leg) to Frank Zappa -- "So, with your long hair, I guess that makes you a woman." Frank Zappa's response -- "So, with your wooden leg, I guess that makes you a table."

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2001&alid=-1

Originally posted by TinderArts:

Lance, I know you used to live on the eastern shore, but have you thought about Annapolis?

Hey Tinder and Fender, I like Annapolis. I saw Eric Johnson at the Ramshead a couple weeks ago. Ate at the YinYankee Cafe. Very good!

But I want to go further away. It's funny. The music scene around here seems to be picking up. The guy who produced John Mayers' Room for Squares is over in Oxford believe it or not and there are a bunch of kids around Easton trying to make a go of it. And downtown Annapolis has a real nice vibe to it. So I figure right when I move this whole area will explose musically.

My bro lives in Germantown and I've been up to Frederick a number of times. It's better than here but that's not the place for me.

I've been looking real hard at Austin, Texas today. The more I read about it the more I like it. What I DON'T like is that apparently the musicians aren't making any money down there. WTF?

Lance, that Scottish tour sounds great! Of course I've heard of all those places and have been to all of them except Scone. How long would the trip be? You'd be seeing A LOT in that time, I hope you'd get enough time to explore each location rather than just a quick visit. The only problem is it's in October and so would probably be ruined by the weather!

John

I've been looking real hard at Austin, Texas today. The more I read about it the more I like it. What I DON'T like is that apparently the musicians aren't making any money down there. WTF?
Textbook example of Supply vs Demand. I love visiting Austin, and would love to live there as a music fan, but not as a musician. Some great clubs and restaurants down 6th Street, and great looking babes from the U, but just too many great musicians per square foot. :(

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Originally posted by Botch.:

Textbook example of Supply vs Demand. I love visiting Austin, and would love to live there as a music fan, but not as a musician. Some great clubs and restaurants down 6th Street, and great looking babes from the U, but just too many great musicians per square foot. :(
I like the sounds of that actually. When I lived in LA it was hard to find musicians who were interested in what I was interested in. There was a lot of jazz-fusion guys. A lot of what I call performing artists (virtuoso types) but not much interest in developing as creative artists. Maybe Austin is the same but I'm thinking it'd be easier to connect wit people because it's so much smaller than LA. Nashville is too country for me.

I'm just wondering if you gig in Austin 5-10 times a month how much $$$ you'd make? I play bass and guitar and sing and bass players are in demand most everywhere I've been. Or is it all pay to play like those clubs in LA? 'Cause that'd suck!

Hey John, that Scotland trip looks awesome but it's pretty fast. Like 7 days. Scotland and New Zealand are 2 countries I have to see before I die. :thu:

Lance-O. Sorry to hear you're getting the boot from your place man! :( If you're dead-set on making a big move (r u sure you won't re-consider Annapolis?), I think Austin might be a good way to go. NYC and LA are just SO hard to get established because of what it costs to live in those places. And, from what I've heard, it can be kinda harder to break into the Nashville scene than the NYC or LA scenes. It's a tight-knit group down there and country is definitely the focus (obviously). So, seems to me that Austin has a more eclectic music scene than Nashville, and a more reasonable standard of living then the others, so you'll have a better chance of finding a decent place to live and maybe not have to get a "real" job to get by. Are you gonna keep teaching or are you gonna try to solely do the band thing?
None more black.

Ignore Phait, he doesn't know how good he has it ;) .

Super is right; Madison is a very nice city. Very clean, safe, lots of great players (Clyde Stubblefield lives there). It's the state Capitol do there're plenty of political movers & shakers and a really liberal climate. It has one of the best universities in the country (great for young women & parties if nothing else). The music scene in Wisconsin is an interesting thing. There is no shortage of really fine musicians around here. The down side is that Wisconsin is basically a fly-over state so the scene is largely ignored. There are some very cool things that go on here albeit quietly. Darryl Stuermer and Jerry Harrison have production facilities in Milwaukee, Hubert Sumlin lives in Milwaukee and draws a few national folks for inspiration, Buddy Miles plays around the area on a regular basis, Narada records (New Age stuff) is headquartered here, etc... And of course there is Summerfest. It is the biggest regular music festival in the US and must be experienced. And yes, it is Wisconsin so it gets cold here.

Let me know if you want any details or if you're going to be in the area. I live about halfway between Milwaukee and Madison.

Nice thing about living in Austin (to me anyway) is that it snows maybe once every 4-5 years... just be ready for 100+ weather in July and August.

Scary place to live for a guitar player, tho :P

Drfuzz

"I'm just here to regulate the funkiness"

Archived