Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sony Plugins in Sound Forge?

I find it a little perplexing that Sony's plugins formats are only in either TDM/Powercore(PC/Mac) or RTAS(PC/Mac),but not availible for their recently aquired flagship audio editor.The Warez argument doesn't hold,and if they made them propriety like Cakewalk did for DSP FX, then Sound Forge might not only gain quite a few extra sales,but look more attractive as a mastering app a/a Wavelab.Just a thought and not quite sure why it wasn't done already.In fact if I were making decisions for Sony,those plugs would only be avalible via Sound Forge first(popriety),then in other formats.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Anderton:

They probably haven't had time to convert them yet.

In the case of TDM or Powercore I would agree since they were availible before acquisition,but the RTAS versions came a out months after the acquisition which is mainly what I find rather puzzling.It's as if PTLE gets propriety over their own acquired products.In fact I just recieved the usual Sonic Foundry/Sony mail flier and checked the Sony plugins site and there's not even a hint that it might even happen.Perplexing.

Originally posted by MixterRader:

Why do you say

The Warez argument doesn't hold
?
Because the TDM Powercore RTAS versions were cracked within a week,so avoiding Dir-X and VST didn't solve anything in that regard,just a big loss in possible sales.

What plugins are we talking about here? Oxford? Inflator? Aren't they available VST but needs the Powercore card to run it? Please correct me if i'm wrong. The fact that it needs outside dsp power instead of running natively, then I don't think it'll surface as free plugs in SoundForge or Vegas soon.

Originally posted by Alndlnbot:

It's as if PTLE gets propriety over their own acquired products.

That makes sense, though, doesn't it? The PTLE market is much larger than the new user/upgrade market of Sound Forge users.

Originally posted by FrankieP:

Aren't they available VST but needs the Powercore card to run it? Please correct me if i'm wrong.

They are availible as Vst for Powercore but their also avalible natively in RTAS format for PTLE,but not their own product(Soundforge-Dir-X).

Originally posted by Phil B:

Originally posted by Alndlnbot:

It's as if PTLE gets propriety over their own acquired products.

That makes sense, though, doesn't it? The PTLE market is much larger than the new user/upgrade market of Sound Forge users.
The PTLE market is bigger than Soundforge/Vegas market,but bundling those plugs in either of Sony's apps would only widen their user base,and other apps that support VST/Dir-X have a significantly larger user base than PTLE collectively.If anything they should have released them propriety in their products first,then VST/DX seperately then RTAS.That would make the most sense in terms of sales.So in effect,Sony is choosing PTLE over a much larger user base and a chance to increase their own user base.Again,perplexing.

Archived