Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acoustic Piano Sales 2015-2016 (USA)

Nathanael_I

Piano Sales Graphic

I'm sure we can spout the reasons: economy, space, making sound in a shared space, but these numbers aren't any better than the guitar numbers, to TimW's point.

Every once in a while someone at works asks about a piano for their child. They invariably mean the cheapest digital that can be had. There isn't even a thought of an acoustic instrument. I truthfully don't get this. Children need to have a full sensory experience - a playable instrument that SOUNDS GOOD. Beginners need all the help they can get (no matter what instrument). Saddling kids with poor instruments never helps.

There are still lots of kids studying music - even piano. But all could be excused for not pursuing it after college. How do you live? One of our tech writers at work has a degree in classical guitar. That is just as hard to get as one in piano performance. But then what? Enter a career you didn't really train for? Not everyone will value the musical ability that much. Now he's learning electric to jam with his teenage son, and finding out how different the instrument is! Kind of like the gulf between classical piano lessons and trying to play with a band....

There will always be humans who devote their life to music and the arts. Some part of our job is to find those people and help them.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the one hand, sub $1k weighted action digitals have brought keyboard music into the hands of more people than acoustic pianos ever could. On the other hand there's a feeling, a timbre/tone, technique and historical rep that's meant for the acoustic piano. On the other hand, yet, when could the masses ever afford a grand or baby grand piano and how many mediocre spinets and uprights used to flood the market and made it into people's homes.

Things change.

Did the electronic home organ ruin keyboard music? Haha, jokes aside, those that have mastered the dual manual and pedal playing of the organ created a whole different technique and idiom for keyboard playing.

Getting kids started is the key. They'll look for a nice instrument eventually if they love what they're doing. It's just that kids' free time is precious in 2017. How many will go beyond covering a few of their favorite tunes off YouTube? As a hobby and stress reliever, this might be enough. The devoted will need more.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Here is the data on digital piano sales. I'm no economist but comparing the charts suggests there was a simultaneous dip in sales of acoustic and digital pianos around the 2009 recession, and since then the total sales of acoustic and digital pianos combined have rebounded.

Another factor coinciding with this ten-year look back is the rise of online, used market places (eBay, Craigslist, Facebook, etc.). I wonder how much the greater market efficiencies in obtaining a used piano factor into the trend lines on new piano sales.

Digital piano sales

That recession was a quality of life crusher. Loss of musical instruments sales a sad byproduct. The thought of kids that didn't get to start between '08 and a few years ago is sad. But sometimes food, clothing and a home take priority... just sometimes. ;)

Heck, I'm still emotionally stuck in '08. And maybe that's best. Haven't taken a loan or payment plan since and probably better off for it.

Piano Sales Graphic

There will always be humans who devote their life to music and the arts. Some part of our job is to find those people and help them.

those people(parents) have to be inspired and motivated to have a reasonable piano experience.

In my state, there is a fair demographic of folks from other countries, that have moved here( the wealthier types) and want the very best education for their children.

I see this in grade school frequently and it connects to possible music and piano education. So once you see this, a big step has been taken. From there , the child has to see that its a cool thing and the skill will achieve more social status. The child also has to have a work ethic. If the parents don't have a work ethic , the child won't have it either.

And If the child is pressured and sees piano instruction as another PITA type parental thing, it won't go far.

Thats where inspired teachers have to carefully navigate with parents and the student. The teacher should do an assessment to see if the basics are in place.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Three kids. Three sets of piano lessons through 8th grade. A father who plays incessantly. A quality acoustic instrument at all time. Decent skills exhibited by all of them, with strong hints of potential talent.

And once the piano lessons were over, that was it. None of them have sat down at a keyboard ever since. Not their thing.

You can lead a horse to water ...

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Three kids. Three sets of piano lessons through 8th grade. A father who plays incessantly. A quality acoustic instrument at all time. Decent skills exhibited by all of them, with strong hints of potential talent.

And once the piano lessons were over, that was it. None of them have sat down at a keyboard ever since. Not their thing.

Somewhat similar. My daughter took 4 yrs of voice lessons. At 15, you would think you were listening to Patti Labelle. A huge voice coming out of a cute 4'11" girl.

She sang opening songs for modeling shows at Union Square hotels here in SF.

At 18, she stopped. To this day she tells me she got tired of her Mom( we are divorced) hassling her to perform. That was 20 yrs ago,

Around Fathers Day, I discussed the possibility of her doing some vocal tracks for my tunes or a cover. Really didn't pressure her 1 bit. She loves the music but she is ' retired' .

Might be hopeless :( My wife says so and she is right 99.9% of the time

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

For me the excitement of music has always been playing with others. Singing around the piano growing up got me interested in learning piano. And then living in Europe for 5 years, busking much of the time with a flute to support myself, I met countless musicians that were inspiring.

Playing piano can often be a solitary experience, one in which you're 'performing'. For some, having a group context to playing makes it more fun and more engaging in the long term.

Randy

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win11 laptop // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Agreed! And I would go so far as to guesstimate that applies to 99.9% of the American population today.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

Agreed! And I would go so far as to guesstimate that applies to 99.9% of the American population today.

Yeah, it is what it is. I have a niece and a nephew who want to tear it up on a keyboard, so I guess the genes are passing.

Wait until the grandkids show up -- still a few years off -- I bet there's going to be some sharp musos in the bunch :)

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Yeah, it is what it is. I have a niece and a nephew who want to tear it up on a keyboard, so I guess the genes are passing.

Wait until the grandkids show up -- still a few years off -- I bet there's going to be some sharp musos in the bunch :)

Music lessons are a gift like any other we give our kids. Tutoring in any subject is no promise of success... they have to at least value it, even if they don't grow to love it, or use it in their careers. Ha ha, for that matter we fork out an astronomical amount of money for a college education in this country and we really have no idea in many cases if they will find work in the majors they pick for themselves. It's a gamble, but worth it, right? At the very least maybe working on music made some synaptic connections in their developing brains. At the most, maybe when they get home from their shit day making music brings them some peace, personal joy, stress relief, etc.

Archived