Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland & SE boutique series analog

Al Coda

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thing I would jump on this way before the Behringer one, which I may have gone for otherwise.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

This looks nice. Demos sound good.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I wonder which filter they used. If it is a Roland filter of a Studio Electronics filter. Studio Electronics is the bomb.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I believe the filter is SE. It is definitely a ladder filter.
Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Maybe it can do more good stuff, but to me most of the sounds demo-d are to rear-endy for my taste, so maybe just like the previous digital imitations of analog: I have the feeling there's more distance to the analog and the imitation, all the more when you process the signal. Oh and everyone knows I'm in every sense not a a rear guy, at all.

T.

Wonderful! Another Minimoog clone....! :facepalm:

Ah, but this might be the one I want!

I have a Creamware Minimax which sounds great, but it's a bit big and heavy, awkward to place in the rig. The Behringer lacks presets which makes it a lot less versatile in a live rig. Same with the real MiniMoog reissue (plus it's heavy, and for me, unnecessarily another board in the rig, and pricey).

I've had mixed feelings about the Roland Boutiques. The JP-08 is very cool, but the sliders are awkward, between the small travel and the force needed to move them. The JX-03 knobs work better, but the sound is thin. So this new one could work...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

It's tiny. That's a bonus for folks that might like to Velcro this to their SK-1 (or lots of other stuff).

I wish it were poly though! I don't get to play enough leads and basses in band context - too many brass, reed, and bass players hanging around! Then I need a DM-12 next to it, then why carry both? ;)

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Then I need a DM-12 next to it, then why carry both? ;)

Because they don't sound the same. ;-)

It's kind of funny to think, in that combo, you'd have a Behringer synth that sounds like an old Roland, and a Roland synth that sounds like an old Moog.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I got the email today and saw it before this forum post. It didn't occur to me that Roland would try to emulate Moog, so that wasn't even on my mind when I looked at it. Instead, I noticed the absence of Roland's usual preference for sliders vs. knobs, and some uncanny resemblance to the Korg MS2000 or maybe even RADIAS.

Now I'm disappointed, as it looks built like a tank but I have no need for a Moog clone since I have the deal deal. But as the Voyager has now been canceled, and I think the "D" reissue is limited edition, there are bound to be plenty of people who need this synth.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Ann P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico Bari, Dano Bari

Select Strat/Tele, Am Pro Jazzmaster, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, T64, PM2, EXL1, XK4, Voyager

But as the Voyager has now been canceled, and I think the "D" reissue is limited edition, there are bound to be plenty of people who need this synth.

Also, there is differentiation in when you look at things like size/weight, programmability, price, aesthetics/ergonomics... i.e. even if all are available, they don't all appeal equally to the same customers.

the real MiniMoog reissue (plus it's heavy, and for me, unnecessarily another board in the rig, and pricey).

I have similar concerns. The reissue looks great but space for keyboards is limited for me.

Looking forward to hearing more examples of the sequencer in action.

Curious to see if this partnership will lead to an SE redesign of classic Roland polysynths in future products

I really appreciate that Roland didn't jam pitch and mod ribbons on this one. Going for knobs the full width may make actually make it useable.

This is obviously more practical than a straight Minimoog clone if Roland got the sound right, and maybe fixed a few things. Wasn't there an issue with SE-1 envelopes being sluggish?

I might be judging roland prematurely here but i think they missed an opportunity to feature their claim chained mode to do some memorymoog type sounds, perhaps it's not ready yet, but 6 of those things chained together would have made some wow factor in the video

I might be judging roland prematurely here but i think they missed an opportunity to feature their claim chained mode to do some memorymoog type sounds, perhaps it's not ready yet, but 6 of those things chained together would have made some wow factor in the video

I wonder how many people would be interested, at $3k. Though even that is a bargain compared to what a Memorymoog originally went for, even before adjusting for inflation. And this would be a lot lighter, and presumably a lot more stable... Hmmm, now I'm feeling tempted. ;-)

I wonder how many people would be interested, at $3k. Though even that is a bargain compared to what a Memorymoog originally went for, even before adjusting for inflation. And this would be a lot lighter, and presumably a lot more stable... Hmmm, now I'm feeling tempted. ;-)

If one of them sounds close to a minimoog, 6 of them chained will not sound anything like a Memorymoog.

Archived