Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Holy sadness, Batman! Adam West RIP

Phnymiboy

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes indeed many afternoons after school this was the fav program (along with Rocky and Bullwinkle :D )

Sad news re his passing. I felt he played the role with a certain "campiness" that made it unique :)

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Holy absent Adam! The Decades channel just did an all-day Batman marathon. How timely. I have never enjoyed any of the movies (except the one done with the original TV cast) as much as the original series. Campy and corny beats dark and dramatic all the time. R.I.P. Adam.

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

Along with all the cool toys they came up with the cornball theme song by Neal Hefti made all the cheese seem right.

R.I.P.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

That was was Neal Hefti? Cute!

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

On top of everything else, he won't be around to voice Mayor West on "Family Guy." I have to give an added gold star to anyone who has a sense of humor and will voice cartoons or appear on "The Big Bang Theory," as he did. He made his fans proud with style. I see that as a laudable form of at least small-h heroism. Anyone who persists in lifting people from the doldrums with a laugh performs a great service. Adam sure pulled that one off well! :like:

"Have you ever noticed that the Ku Klux Klan has never really produced any great composers?"
      ~ George Carlin

To the final bat cave.... I loved that series, it was So funny. All those hilarious lines delivered by Adam in an absolutely deadpan voice.

Here are a few gems:

1. "It's obvious. Only a criminal would disguise himself as a licensed, bonded guard yet callously park in front of a fire hydrant."

2. "We've come a long way from the Prime Minister's exploding cake. Or have we?"

3. "Salt and corrosion. The infamous old enemies of the crime fighter"

4. "A reporter's lot is not easy, making exciting stories out of plain, average, ordinary people like Robin and me."

5. "It's sometimes difficult to think clearly when you're strapped to a printing press."

6. Robin: "You can't get away from Batman that easy!"

Batman: "Easily."

Robin: "Easily."

Batman: "Good grammar is essential, Robin."

Robin: "Thank you."

Batman: "You're welcome."

7. "Yes, he moves very quickly for an overstuffed and unlikely Egyptian Pharaoh"

8. "Robin: Where'd you get a live fish, Batman?"

Batman: "The true crimefighter always carries everything he needs in his utility belt, Robin."

9. "It is the duty of every good citizen of Gotham City to report meeting a man from Mars in a public park".

10.  "No, Robin. With my head sticking out of this neosaurus costume, I might not appear like an ordinary, run of the mill crimefighter."

11. "Bartender, a bit of advice. Always inspect a jukebox carefully. These machines can be deadly."

12. (after coming through Barbara's window): "We would have entered the building by more conventional means, but we didn't want to startle the tenants." :D

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

I consider the 60's Batman show to be shameful and responsible for the later backlash that pretty much killed the comic book industry for about twenty years or so.

I will instead always remember Adam West for his marvelous role in the super-campy sci-fi film, "Robinson Crusoe on Mars". His relationship with the chimp is... interesting.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Ann P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico Bari, Dano Bari

Select Strat/Tele, Am Pro Jazzmaster, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, T64, PM2, EXL1, XK4, Voyager

I consider the 60's Batman show to be shameful and responsible for the later backlash that pretty much killed the comic book industry for about twenty years or so.

I will instead always remember Adam West for his marvelous role in the super-campy sci-fi film, "Robinson Crusoe on Mars". His relationship with the chimp is... interesting.

If you want campy, watch the movie "Hell Riders" (1984) with Adam West as Doctor Dave and Tina Louise (Ginger from Gilligan's Island). I have a collection of around 300 biker movies (from my motorcycle days) and this movie takes the cake for camp. But, it does have motorcycles.

Don

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

Hah, that sounds great, and I guess it prepped him a bit for his Bats gig later, in an odd roundabout way...

Eugenio Upright, 60th Ann P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico Bari, Dano Bari

Select Strat/Tele, Am Pro Jazzmaster, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, T64, PM2, EXL1, XK4, Voyager

Weird as much damage as the series did he kind of brought interest back into the character of Batman. In 1989 he wanted to be considered for the Michael Kane role. He thought he was still young enough to do it.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

http://morticiasmorgue.beckyplexco.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2013/09/BatcycleBW.jpg

Find 600 of my jazz piano arrangements and tutorials for educational purposes at patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

http://geekandsundry.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/AdamBatman-solo-shot.jpeg

Find 600 of my jazz piano arrangements and tutorials for educational purposes at patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

http://oi44.tinypic.com/2uzphqh.jpg

bedded774d2a682a1944a33f22125eb9.jpg

2901652221e3bc58c48f89c89b228aca.jpg

b7200f5b1daa9c35d5a0a294f302056e.jpg

cde840ca35b623baed126c5a3b5954f3.jpg

cadfdf8ce48b6c6879c7847c17f94cf8.jpg

I always wanted one of those red hotline phones and wondered why I couldn't find one in a store.

I always wanted one of those red hotline phones and wondered why I couldn't find one in a store.

For the original batphone: http://www.redhotphones.com/inbybareddep.html

Or, for a different spin (yet I remember him using one like this, but I think it was in the Batmobile):

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xred+batphone.TRS1&_nkw=red+batphone&_sacat=0

You would need to get a glass dome cover to make it complete.

Don

(Ahem) Thank you for the third picture up!

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Wow, so many great memories.... I had a rather intense crush on Catwoman at the time; oh, heck, I still do !

We were out with friends the other night, talking about Adam West and I mentioned the Catwoman / Julie Newmar fixation. My wife jumped right in and said, "Yes, she was extremely attractive".

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY_KZu-tnPk

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Archived