Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vintage Vibe Custom CP4 Piano Shell for U2

eric

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you seen this? I think it's totally badass.

Yeah saw it last night. Very badass!

Gave me some ideas for a long overdue summer project :)

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

How many of you spotted the Hammond tone generator? '61ish. Either M3 or M100.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Very cool Eric. I really admire those with the fabrication skills depicted in the video...none of which I have. True artistry. :2thu:

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Why not?

:like:

Besides looking cool I see a practical application for me.

With my Mainstage rig, I have no need to access the buttons on my 88 note controller other than to turn it on.

The shell that VV has made would allow me to place my 61 controller directly on it...like we use to be able to do in the "old days" like with my Arp 4 voice, or CP70, etc...

A nice and compact rig. Clean on the stage without cables hanging everywhere.....

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Very cool!

I assume patch changes are handled off stage, via MIDI?

Or perhaps the player opens up the lid during songs to push buttons, while giving the impression that he/she is adjusting the tines? ;)

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Why?

+1

Because U2 paid them and let them tell the world about it which only helps their business.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Rhodes patch all night.

How many U2 songs in a concert require "Rhodes patch all night"? I could see them using a CP70 shell but don't recall Rhodes as part of the U2 sound.

Ha ha! this isn't about the Rhodes sound - to the mass audience the case will simply look vintage, rock-n-roll. As opposed to a digital keyboard, which looks (to them) lame, very non-rock-n-roll. Even if digital guitar FX have been part of their sound from the beginning.

Here's the gutted vintage cases for the S90ES Keane used for some time - also a very digital rock/pop band.

http://www.sninety.com/img/keane07_05.jpg

http://www.sninety.com/img/keane07_08.jpg

The electromechanicals are dead. Long live the electromechanicals!

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I assume patch changes are handled off stage, via MIDI?

If on stage, I can see an iPad running BandHelper being ideal. Light years ahead of the controls on the CP4, anyway. Or any hardware keyboard, for that matter.

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

Why not?

:like:

The shell that VV has made would allow me to place my 61 controller directly on it...like we use to be able to do in the "old days" like with my Arp 4 voice, or CP70, etc...

Being a former CP-70 and flat-top Rhodes owner, I especially miss being able to do that. Those shells had a classic look, clean lines, and stability. Creative adjustment of my K&M 18880/stackers gets very close though, and I don't miss the weight. But if I had roadies....

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Rhodes patch all night.

How many U2 songs in a concert require "Rhodes patch all night"? I could see them using a CP70 shell but don't recall Rhodes as part of the U2 sound.

Ha ha! this isn't about the Rhodes sound - to the mass audience the case will simply look vintage, rock-n-roll.

Doesn't answer part of the question. Why would U2 need a Rhodes patch all night?

Also why a semi-Rhodes case on stage, vs a grand piano shell, a B3 shell, or a Wurly shell if the sound doesn't match "the look"? It would be like a Rhodes sound coming from a CP4 inside a B3 shell.

That said, it's a nice looking shell.

Doesn't answer part of the question. Why would U2 need a Rhodes patch all night?

Hey Mark

I didn't know at the time of my earlier post the shell was being built for U2. I incorrectly assumed that since it was a Rhodes style shell that a Rhodes patch would be used. Now I know it's a CP 80 patch, but only found out about this just now. Anyway, they wanted a vintage look and that's what they got. It's only old geezers like us who even know, let alone care about the specifics of vintage keyboard cabinets. ;)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/923/ShE689.jpg

[video:youtube]

:nopity:

Archived