Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

When's the last time THAT happened?

whitefang

Yesterday afternoon for the first time in too many years for me to want to admit have passed me by, I was working on trying to get my digital dexterity back up to my pre-stroke snuff when my PICK jumped out of my fingers and fell into the SOUND HOLE of my old Epi! :o

THAT hasn't happened to me since, well, let's not go THERE, but you get it. ;) And since it happened during one of those days where it seemed NOTHING was going right, I can only take pride that I didn't smash the guitar to kindling out of frustration! :D

Now, since these difficulties in playing started a couple or so years ago I've dropped the pick several times, but it only fell to the floor and was easy to retrieve. But, through the sound hole? ARRRGGGHHH!

Anybody else have something happen recently that hasn't happened for quite some time? What was it and how did YOU deal with it? :)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My fingers and fingernails have never fallen into a guitar's sound-hole... ;)

However, a couple of months ago, all eight of my finger-tips were simultaneously smashed under two windowcasings- panes and all- crashing down while I was trying to do some adjustment and repair work. Words fail. PAIN. "Ow" and "ouch" fall far short, and all the swear-words at my command, including possible new hybrids, didn't help much, either, but the entire neighborhood must've heard 'em; I hope they helped them. I had previously broken off some of the nail of my picking-hand's "a" ("ring") finger, so that fingertip received a nasty cut, as well, right in that oh, so tender area usually protected by the nail. So, I was out of commission for playing for a while...

Something like that, even on a single digit, hadn't happened to me in quite a LO0O0O0O0O0O0NG time.

By the way, decades ago when I still occasionally used a pick, I was actually quite good at carefully shaking one out of a flat-top guitar if one fell in there...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I was eating some Vietnamese food yesterday, and couldn't quite keep my chopsticks under control. Neither of them went flying, but they were certainly unruly and lively in my grip.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Sorry for your loss of playing time there Caevan! I know you'll bounce back and be more careful with them fingers in the future LOL! :cool:

Like Fang, I always feel lucky when the pick drops on the floor instead of finding it's way into the sound hole of my acoustics! I can walk it out pretty easy. I was doing an outdoor gig yesterday and while packing up my gear, I thought of dropping that pick in the sound hole and/or breaking a string. It rarely happens to me and I was just flashing back on my gigging days. I took the precaution of throwing in an extra set of strings and some extra picks that the string companies send me for free when I order strings. Again, I didn't lose a pick in the grass or break a string, but I was sure glad I had packed those extras upon reading this thread LOL! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

@CAEV:

Sorry to hear about your fingertips. And it's possible I HEARD your "blue chorus" ;) as a true aside:

A few years ago, I got up middle of night to go pee. Walking in the dark the big toe of my left foot tried it's best to put a hole in the leg of a chair. I proceeded to drop enough "f" bombs and it's variants to envy all the bombs dropped on London during WWII. My wife turned and asked, "Why do you have to CUSS like that?" And I told her, "'cause I don't know any OTHER F---kin' WAY to cuss!" :D

I managed to "walk" the pick out in short order. But it DID happen on one of those "What NEXT" kind of days. :cool:

Whitefang

My fingers are all almost completely over it, though the picking-hand "a"/"ring"-fingertip is still a little numbish AND simultaneously uncomfortable, but not exactly painful, feeling. I've gradually gotten more and more back into my regular fingerstyle deployment.

whitefang- Taking your recovery from a stroke into account, I can more easily see how dropping your pick would be more of a big deal- especially with its slipping between the strings and into your guitar's insides!

Be glad you didn't stub your toe at the same time... ! :crazy:

Dannyalcatraz- oh, them squirrelly chopsticks... ! (I always like usin' 'em when dining at Chinese joints and for Chinese take-out, as well as with some plain, lukewarm tea, about the only time I drink that... )

Larryz- Man, I almost NEVER break strings! When I do- and years and years go in between such occurrences- it's almost always been practically some kind of goofy event, such as the string flinging out and lashing someone else while jammin', or making a big weird 'boink boink boink' noise while using a lot of echo-repeats at a gig somewhere... !

Between the heavier strings that I favor, and my pick-less fingerstyle approach, I very rarely break 'em; if I do, it's usually during a BIG bend, often a double-stop bend... :crazy:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

@ Caevan, The last time I broke a string was about 8 years ago and it was the next day after I got home from a gig while practicing...I just wore that old string out LOL! I was sure glad it happened the next day. I just have visions of losing a pick, shorting a guitar or mic cord, and/or breaking a string at a gig and then I get paranoid and pack extras LOL! It almost never ever happens though! :crazy:

ps. I just remembered why I pack extra picks and it's not because of the sound hole drop LOL! I'm playing a private party this weekend and one of my old buddies always asks "Hey Larry you got an extra pick?" He likes to use his fingers instead of a pick and forgets to bring one along...so I have just got used to bringing one for him LOL! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

CAEV--

That "stroke" affected my LEFT hand, not the right. And I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that I was picking SOFTER due to my wife wanting to hear what was on the TV, and when I do THAT, I have a tendency to loosen my grip on the pick.

I never broke a string by playing. But back BEFORE I knew what I was doing, I broke a few when changing strings and in my inexperience, didn't allow enough SLACK. ;)

Whitefang

I rarely (almost never) break a string when changing them. I change them one at a time and keep tension on the neck. Most players like to take them all off and clean the fret board, then put the strings on. It's easier to break a string that way, especially if you start the restringing with the thin 1st string. I think the most important tool when changing strings is my snap on tuner. It keeps me from over tightening any of the strings as I bring them up to 440 and stop LOL! I can monitor the intonation too...

I rarely (almost never) break a string while playing. I always pack some extras due to being paranoid, but I like being able to keep playing if I'm only packing one guitar. Back in my gigging days, I always packed two guitars just in case I do break a string while playing... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Archived