Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Songs that introduced you to a new "sound"

I was listening to The Beach Boys "Pet Sounds" and I heard a synthesizer sound, I think. Whatever it was, it was unique. That had to be mid 60's. Made me think of a Cat Stevens album. I think it was his first big album. The album "Foreigner" has only four songs on it, long songs. "The Hurt," "Later," "I Dream" and there's another one... can't remember. Anyway, one of these songs (my turntable is broken, so I can't confirm)... I recall it was my first introduction to what I would call "synthesizer" sounds. I remember being in the record store and my girlfriend and I just oohed and aahed over this record they were playing. It was heavy on a synthesizer sound. That's when I bought that album. Every time a new guitar effect or synthesizer effect would come out over the years, seems some artist would utilize it and it would help sell the record. I wonder how many records were sold just because kids talked about the "cool, new sound" on the record. Any records come to mind that did this to you? Of course, there's the Frampton record where he used the voice box thing. No telling how many zillion records that sold for him.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Boston's self-titled first album. No one in MI manufacturing had approached the type of distorted preamp sounds that they created, courtesy of Tom Scholz being a musician, electrical engineer, and sound engineer. The rhythm guitar sounds, especially, were both very distorted, but very sweet sounding, and free of the artifacts that many high gain signal paths produce. I heard this for the first time when it was released, and was truly amazed. Brian May's guitar sounds on the ultra-produced Queen cuts, such as Bohemian Rhapsody and Killer Queen. Half of it was the killer timbres he created with his homemade axe and whatever amps he was using. The other half was the choice of arranging and recording guitar melodies and harmonies as separate tracks, rather than playing chords on one pass. The sweetness that can be achieved by creating chords by one-note-at-a-time through an overdriven amp is only possible this way. (Unless you happen to own a six-channel-distortion equipped, Steve Ripley guitar. Kramer produced some quantities of guitars with Steve's hex pickup and multi-channel distortion circuits.)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

for em it was the first time i ever heard Nine Inch Nails' "A Warm Place"...just the fragility of the song....and also Delerium's "Aftermath II"...same thing really. I like sonic landscape sounding stuff.....it's probably the most creative outlet i've ever had because there's absolutely no boundaries and tons of layers. Shiver
Rule #2: Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

[quote]Originally posted by meccajay: [b]Nothing has ever been so influential as that Art Of Noise's album as far as sampling is concerned.[/b][/quote] Ditto that one. It shaped what sampling is and how its to be used. RobT

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Likewise, on Pet Sounds there's the use of a bass harmonica. I don't think I've ever heard the sound of one of those before that album... I've heard it in a [url=http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=238657823/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=HARMONICATS/itemid=638039]few other places[/url] since then, though. Lots of unusual sounds and instruments (at least to these ears) can be found on Peter Gabriel's [url=http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=238657823/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=GABRIEL*PETER/itemid=298617]Passion[/url] album... Prince's [url=http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=238657823/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=PRINCE/itemid=323567]Parade[/url] is still my very favorite Prince album... The sparse production, dissonant Clare Fischer orchestra parts, and dry-sounding mixes didn't sound like 1986, and they still don't sound like they're a part of any specific era. And the arrangement on "Kiss"... It's a monster, and there's a lot more going on there than you might notice on a casual listen. And you can dance to it... :D Wendy Carlos' [url=http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=238657823/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/ArtistID=CARLOS*WENDY/ITEMID=1280962]Beauty in the Beast[/url] album introduced me to the idea of microtonal tunings in an orchestral-type arrangement... Although I've heard tunings like that in various kinds of "world music", I've never heard anything else with those kinds of tunings for orchestra (or, as in this case, synth orchestra). Oh, and Phil Collins' gated snare... I did actually kinda liked that sound a long time ago... [i]Su -- su -- sudio...[/i] :D :p

anything by Aphex Twin is good for new and interesting sounds. i remember being floored when i first heard 'Windowlicker' and 'Little Lord Faulteroy' talk about speech synth, Aphex Twin takes it to a whole new level. Richard James (Aphex Twin) is in fact, a true bonafide genius. [ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: sactog ]
0096 2251 2110 8105

Tony Levin's mastery of the Chapman Stick with Peter Gabriel and on King Crimson "Discipline" Stevie Wonder's Clavinet on "Superstition" "Heavy Weather" for Jaco's fretless, and Zawinul's unique Rhodes and Oberheim tones Pat Metheny's diffuse guitar tone on the first PMG album, and his horn-like guitar synth sound on the "Offramp" album Chris Squire's Rickenbacker on "Roundabout" - I though it was a Clavinet line

The first time I heard flanging was on "Listen to the Music", by the Doobies, awesome! And the first Orchestra hit I ever heard was on Yes' "Owner of a Lonely Heart" (don't know if that was its first use, just the first time I'd heard it).

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

TV themes - Mannix, Bewitched, Flintstones, etc. - the big band sound. Beatles - She Loves You - first exposure to rock and roll. Stones - Satisfaction - distorted guitar. Beatles - Revolution - HEAVILY distorted guitar. Beatles - Penny Lane - piccolo trumpet. Beatles - Rain - electric bass. Beatles - Ob La Di, Ob La Da - Caribbean rhythms. Simon and Garfunkel - Scarborough Fair/Canticle - counterpoint. Quincy Jones - Ironside theme - synthesizer. The Who - My Generation (on TV) - feedback effects (while Pete is smashing his guitar). Jimi Hendrix - from Woodstock (on TV) - feedback effects used while PLAYING a guitar (and subsequently lighting it on fire). Marvin Gaye - What's Goin' On? - The Jamerson sound. Edgar Winter Group - Frankenstein - synths used in rock. The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again - filter effects. Blood, Sweat, and Tears - Spinning Wheel - rock with horns. Stylistics - You Are Everything - falsetto. Elton John - Benny and the Jets - rock piano. Yes - Roundabout - prog rock. Doobie Bros. - Long Train Running - funky rhythm guitar. Bob Marley - Let's Get Together - reggae. Weather Report - Cannonball - two things: Jaco's fretless sound, and the idea that a composition could be mournful and joyous at once. Return to Forever - various - Rhodes. Santana - Dance Sister Dance - Arp String Ensemble. Billy Joel - Just The Way You Are - Phil Woods' solo taught me more about jazz than any other single experience. I could hear him talking to me through his horn. Steely Dan - Aja album - uniquely balanced jazz/rock blend. Stevie Wonder - Those Days - funk. Van Halen - Eruption - hammer on technique. Cars - Just What I Needed - new wave. Police - Walking On The Moon - ska. U2 - New Years Day - the U2 sound (don't know how else to describe it). James Ingram ballads - DX7 electric piano sound. Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight - well, you know... Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit - grunge. Cher - Believe - Auto-Trash It's sad to note that Cher was the only memorable new sound of the last decade.

[quote]Originally posted by Jeff Leites: [b]Geez, Craig is going to think I'm kissing his butt, but in the late 60's he was doing neat stuff with an amplified sitar, homemade synthesizer, compressor, and a volume pedal.[/b][/quote] I have to amend this because I found sound samples, also, I failed to mention Craig's bandmate, Michael Kac, who did some really neat electric harpsichord stuff. To hear Craig playing sitar, and Michael playing harpsichord go to http://www.oldies.com/product/index.cfm/id/0691.html and listen to "Strange" (Sitar), and "Dark Lady" (Harpsichord). To hear Craig playing his synth, go to http://www.oldies.com/product/index.cfm/id/0692.html and listen to "Barnaby Plum". One other new sound I remember was, the auto wha type thing in "Matchstick Men", by Status Quo. Thought of a couple more: The theremin used by Luthar And The Hand People, and the Beach Boys in "Good Vibrations" The didgeridoo in "My Boomerang won't Come Back" and "Tie me kangaroo down" [ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: Jeff Leites ] [ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: Jeff Leites ]

Marilyn Manson "Antichrist Superstar" and any remix by Charlie Clouser as well.....his stuff always sounds like it's in some sort of blue sanded desert in space..... Shiver
Rule #2: Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Brian May did it for me, too - hearing "Killer Queen" for the first time had me intrigued, as I had never heard a guitar sounding like >that< before. Those tones and arrangements were quite radical for their time. Of course, the ultimate Brian arrangement tracks were "Good Company" (from ANATO) and "Dreamer's Ball" (from _Jazz_), for their horn section-like arrangements. Stevie Ray Vaughn had the same effect on me. Never before had I ever heard a tone like he got - loud and aggressive, but clean and dripping with tone. Likewise Mark Knopfler, who wasn't as agressive but was amazing for playing with such a pristine tone. And then there's Allan Holdsworth - what he's able to do just with >chords< is pretty scarifying. Ever hear "Tokyo Dream" from _Road Games_ (which Allan has just re-issued on his Gnarly Geezer label)? You'd swear that what you were hearing was a Rhodes piano. Add to that his unique lead tone and playing, and it's game over :cool:
"I used to be "with it", but then they changed what "it" was! Now what I'm with isn't "it", and what is "it" is weird and scary to me. IT'LL HAPPEN TO YOU!" - Grampa Simpson

[quote]Originally posted by Tedster: [b]Beatles..."Rain"...first time I heard backward voices....[/b][/quote] This reminds me of Hendrix's "Third Stone From The Sun". There is some "Spacecraft to Mission Control" type of vocal communication in the background, but it's slowed down to about 1/3 speed. It was easy to hear if you ran you 33 1/3 lp at 78 rpm. [ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: Jeff Leites ]

[quote]Originally posted by botch@netutah.net: [b]The first time I heard flanging was on "Listen to the Music", by the Doobies, awesome! And the first Orchestra hit I ever heard was on Yes' "Owner of a Lonely Heart" (don't know if that was its first use, just the first time I'd heard it).[/b][/quote] speaking of 'Owner of a Lonely Heart', i thought i'd mention the guitar solo in that song. i've never heard anything like it before.
0096 2251 2110 8105

Led Zeppelin I - I had no clue music could *rock* like that. I was about 11. I freaked. Black Sabbath - cut 1 side 1 of the first LP. Slayed me. Made everything else seem "cute" by comparison. Goth was born. I knew every single bass note of every single Sabbath song for about 6-7 albums. No lie. If Geezer died, I was all over it. Gino Vannelli "Brother to Brother" LP - Extended my musical and sonic horizons. Definied state-of-the-art for many studio types. Peter Gabriel's first solo LP - "Intruder" was the birth of gated rooms on drums. Many innovative approaches to sound in general. Larry Fast in his prime. Foreigner "Waiting For a Girl Like You" - The definitive rock ballad of it's time. Uncheesy synths on a rock record. Excellent vibe and Lou was singin' his butt off. Michael Jackson "Off the Wall" - His best LP. I discovered horns didn't have to suck. Quincy's a monster. Swedien was failing to suck, as well. Thomas Dolby "She Blinded Me with Science" - Simmons drum's first big hit and killer synth work. Just stuff I wouldn't have thought of. Made me think. Yes "Owner of a Lonely Heart" - Modern rock grew up for an old band. Incredible production. Art of Noise first LP - Already mentioned. Again, opened new horizons. Go West first LP - The sounds killed me. Eurythmics "Sweet Dreams" - A totally cool record that came from it's own unique headspace. Just random thoughts out loud. It's wild to see the same records turn up for different people. Wouldn't it be cool to be on the list? Not too late for any of us. Gotta keep at it. Regards, Brian T

Boba O'Reilly from the WHO ....comes to mind instantly ! The synth part at the beginning is great Who are you from the Who is another ! That song has a little of everything .....great dynamics ..... I think that MONEY from Pink Floyd was always interesting ..... 1st ever wav.syncipation ?? 2112 from Rush .......can't say enough .... dano
www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

[quote]Originally posted by trickfall@yahoo.com: [b]Some good ones mentioned already, but I'll add My Bloody Valentine's album Loveless to the list. I still don't know how they got the guitar sounds on that record.[/b][/quote] I agree. That's one of those special records that doesn't sound like anything else. In fact, it doesn't even sound like MBV's previous stuff... It's like that album came from outer space or something... :D And production-wise, it does everything "wrong" -- there's waaaay too much compression, the mixes are almost all midrange, the vocals are barely audible, and a lot of the time it sounds like somebody left a vacuum cleaner running... But it [i]works[/i] once you get into it. Great stuff.

Some of the Albums that Influenced me the most: Steps Ahead - Magnetic EWI Wind Controller John Coltrane - Giant Steps - Edgy tenor Grover Washington - Winelight - Smooth alto Weather Report - Heavy Weather - tight ensemble Meat Beat Manifesto - Storm the Studio - Industrial Cutup PWEI - The Looks or The Lifestyle - Industrial Cutup FLA - Tactical Neural Implant - EBM Power NWA - Gangster Rap Blossoms The Geto Boys - Gangster Rap perfected Gwar - Hell-o - Art Punk explodes The Who - Quadrophenia - Concept Work Ok, thats enough for now

i'm supprised no one has mentioned David Bowie. Heroes - that sustained synth or guitar (whatever that was) throughout the whole song. Fame - the part of the song that sounds like the word 'fame' was played with a sampler except they didn't have samplers back then (or did they? if not, how did they do that?) Major Tom - self explanitory, an amazing song.
0096 2251 2110 8105

[quote]Originally posted by sactog: [b]Major Tom - self explanitory, an amazing song.[/b][/quote] Even more sublime than Bowie's version is the [url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005Q6NP/qid%3D1004541550/sr%3D2-1/ref%3Dsr%5F2%5F11%5F1/103-8475926-4539027]version done by the Langley Schools chorus[/url] ... Eeerie, naive, unpolished, touching, and unintentionally hysterical (one of the DJs on [url=http://www.incorrectmusic.com]Incorrect Music[/url] compared the drums to "a UPS man dropping boxes down a flight of stairs" :D ).

Archived